• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unfinished barrel question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerfan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
The barrel on my gun is unfinished plain steel, it has a very small amount of surface rust, one even has someone's thumb print.
Should I do something with this barrel such as blue it or just keep it as is & remove the surface rust ?
What kind of finish do you all have on your barrels ?

keep it as is - just keep using it and oiled down.
In 30 or 40 years it'll look real nice :thumbsup:

Thanks, I wasn't sure which would be best. I figured blue it once & done, leave it & I would have to keep after it, but I do like the look.
Although I doubt I'll be around in 30-40 years. It's at least 25 years old already though & it looks pretty good

If you like a gray color, paint the barrel with that pink stuff, naval jelly & let it set a while. wash with water, and a lite gray "patina" is what you'll have. Better test it 1st on bbl. bottom. ....Tom

I'd use LMF after a good draw file and smooth up to 320 grit then sand blast with 80 grit garnet sand, finish with glass beads.
The LMF will bite the first pass on this steel prep and you will have it textured up nicely at about pass five or six. Makes a wonderful, durable brown finish that is one of the most durable to be had.

Smooth it out with some 320 grit sandpaper and wipe down with laurel mt browning solution and let it sit, rinse reapply in a day or to depending upon humidity it will all be a nice browned barrel

NOTE: Any Rusting or Bluing has to be Neutralized to complete the process....... when desired amount or rust or blue is achieved.

Otherwise, the metal will continue to keep on rusting more & deeper.

And when you neutralize it, don't just say "OK, I done" & slap the gun together. Wait a few days & insure it has really... stopped rusting. Sometimes you have to neutralize it 2-3 times to get it really stopped.

Keith Lisle

Latest posts

Back