• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unloading a muzzleloader question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
use bees wax oil mix for lube or just go with bore butter. nothing with any water in it. pull your cap or dump prime when done for the day. a piece of leather or lubed patch over nipple or plug the touch hole with a feather, then close frizzen. i had mine loaded for 2 weeks and 3 days it poured rain and still they went off on first cap.

I don't like leaving it loaded as I don't get to go shooting nearly as much as I would prefer and I have never had much luck with a ball puller. As a result I just pick a nice target & fire it off. At least that way I get to make some smoke and go home happy :thumbsup:

The obvious problem with not clearly flagging your muzzleloader as still loaded is that you may push another charge and ball down the bore. I once purchased an early TC Hawken that was shipped in this condition -- two charges and two conicals.

I'm another one who shoots the load out. Like others have said another practice round is always good and a single shot is easy to clean up afterwards.

Charley, you are so right about observing ALWAYS Rule #1 when using a CO2 discharger. After a local match we did some field ballistic testing of a discharger with a new 16 gram cylinder. Ball from a 50 cal went about 80 yards with the barrel elevated a bit from level.

White Fox

I thought I posted something but I guess not. If I'm going to be hunting for two days in a row (weekend) on Saturday night I uncap, lower hammer on a leather pad over nipple, and then put the ramrod in the bore- then the rifle in a case. The ramrod serves as a reminder the gun is loaded and if for any reason someone else comes across the firearm- the ramrod is sort of a flag the rifle may be loaded.

WEll, I for one have lost more than a few deer leaving my gun deprimmed or decapped a cold truck and having a misfire. I will leave t as is (de capped or primmed of course)and then SHOOT IT IN THE MORNING away from my hunting area. I find if I shoot it just before light, load and get to my ridge, water hole or what have you I have no misfires. I will also shoot a round from a clean gun in the morning and reload...a recently fired MZLDR rarely misfires.

Like others, I just shoot the load out at the end of the day. Don't mind cleaning it as I usually have gone through cobwebs and whatnot roaming around in the woods all day. :)

Latest posts

Back