• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

upland birds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The .58X12 would be a great bar-gun, as you could load a ball in the smooth barrel also, in case you needed a quick second shot, besides being able to hunt birds with it all day, but have that .58" barrel ready in case you jumped up Mr.Bar.

Also if you happened apon Mr.Big Boar or Ms.Super-Sized Sow at very close range, while strictly bear hunting, and had balls in both barrels, you'd have the choice of using the .72" ball first for greater whompability...and have the .58 for the second shot...and the choice would be right there at your finger tips.

I think that would be a wonderful weapon, especially here in Washington State where the bear and grouse seasons are very long, and run co-currently. However...as I have quite a bit invested in my Brown Bess and Jaeger for grouse and bear, I'll just have to continue to dream about such a side by side combo-gun.

But ya never know, maybe someday I'll get that wild hare up my nose and find a good used one for a good price, and add it to my battery.

However-however, at the top of my priority and wish list right now for the next muzzle-loading weapon is a nice slim and trim .38"-.40" calibre longrifle by the Birddog6...and right now I'm BROKE! BIG TIME BROKE!!

:cry:

Rat

109915.jpg

3 months till GOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLE, GOBBBBBBBBBBBBLE!!!!

As a teenager, our area of southern Massachusetts had some good small game hunting. I did a lot of squirrel and ruffed grouse hunting,either alone or with friends. It was really nice to go out all day long as a teen and enjoy going from cover to cover with my grandfathers old double.

I think hunting upland birds with a muzzleloader would be a lot of fun, but alas, we have lost a lot of land to hunt due to development. Places I went now are the sites of houses.

In addition, I believe that since we have (in Massachusetts) been protecting a lot of predators, the small game has suffered. In the places I used to flush grouse,I see nothing.

But I could get into hunting waterfowl.

In addition, I believe that since we have (in Massachusetts) been protecting a lot of predators,

Yea, but ya just keep voting Teddy back into office. :: Ohh, you meant the 4 legged kind didn't ya. :crackup:

Can't say about pass shooting because I never found a consistent spot, but for decoys and jump shooting a good ML is just fine for waterfowl. I played around a long time with heavier and faster loads but day in, day out, I had the most consistent results with 1 1/8 ounces of #6's over decoys, 1 1/4 ounces of #4's jump shooting. Don't recall the charges, but both loads were hardened lead shot at just under 1200 fps. You can do your own calculations on steel equivalents or use bismuth just like lead.

Too bad bismuth wasn't around when we finally had to switch to steel here in Alaska. I turned loose a very sweet 12 gauge double that I sorely miss! My hunting partners made all kinds of noise about the stink when I shot, but I never had much trouble keeping up with them and their 3" mag 12 gauges. Of course, I had a few more years shooting under my belt and picked my shots carefully. I also knew the ground and birds better than they did, so I could usually be in the right spot at the right time.

Never got to try the ML for Canadas, but on brant and Emporers (then legal, but not now), I shot 1 3/8 ounces of #2's with no apologies. Put me in range of a Canada and I know there would be goose for dinner, though. I am sorely tempted to pick up a 10 gauge simply for the extra opportunity on Canadas, though I wouldn't feel the need on ducks with bismuth (I shoot a lot of it in older cartridge guns and have a high opinion of its performance.)

Just got back from Ne. Quail were tough to find and the coveys I did find were too small to take a bird from. I felt bad for my young pup,she hunted her little heart out. We did find great numbers of turkey. The locals say the area is being overrun by turkeys. I still had a great time. looking forward to next season.

I hunt pheasants and quail with muzzleloaders out here in Kansas. Started out with a T/C New Englander and like others I sometimes needed a second shot to bring pheasants on down. Switched to a Cabela's 12 gauge double and haven't looked back. A shot snake is sure nice for upland bird hunting. I have one sewn into the carry strap of my hunting bag.

ML shotguns are FUN! Its not complicated. Ballistic products, Inc. has a good sheet they will mail or fax you on the basics. Also see Bob Spencers Blackpowder Notebook, online. Sam Fadala's books have chapters on ML shotguns. I took the plunge a couple of years ago and have taken two gobblers since. Pedersoli makes excellent quality percussion doubles in 10, 12, and 20 gauge. They also make a single barrel Mortimer. If you can pick one up used in good condition, the CVA double 12 ga. is also good. :imo:

It is a leather tube for holding shot. It usually has an Irish style head on it. The spout comes out of the Irish style so it is easier to pour the shot down the barrel. The spout is adjustable for either 1 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz. of shot.

This sounds similar to the shot pouch that i am using now, only in tube form.how much does it carry? I like to have 6 shots w/ me.

I am not sure how much shot the snake will hold. I guess a person could make one any size they wanted. I use a shot flask too. Never tried a snake. The flask just seems easier to me. I hang mine from my belt, out of the way.

Here is a little trick I came up with while hunting upland birds to carry wonderwads. Use a needle and heavy thread (I use 6/0 fly tying thread). Tie a knot at one end and string 18 or 20 wads on the thread. Tie a loop at the other end to hang on a shirt button or whatever. To use, simply pull however many wads you need past the knot at the bottom. Works for me.

I built one of Jim Chambers New England fowlers (12 gauge) not too long ago and took it pheasant hunting. I used a shot snake from TOW with #6 shot. Hunted all day and didn't run out of shot. I probably shot 7 or 8 times. I had plenty left at the end of the day.
The pheasant population wasn't affected but I had fun and didn't have to clean any birds either.

Back