• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

UPS has outdone itself. I'm actually impressed by how massive of a failure this is, even Kiblers famous crates are no match! INSURE YOUR STUFF FOLKS!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was that shipping crate modified in any way? Was the crate extended?
Here it is prior to shipping. Either the lighting or moisture makes it look like it's separate parts on the side, but it's all one piece.
1000010480.jpg

Most of us have seen the "inexpensive" hard plastic, foam lined cases for modern type guns. What surprises me is that no one has come out with a simple, hard plastic, telescoping container that would allow different longer lengths to be shipped. The container could be re-used almost indefinitely.
On the idea of a telescoping shipping box : I have seen them in heavy cardboard when purchasing boxes for shipping modern things.

CAMERON SHIPPING BOXES. Good variety of boxes to choose from cardboard to foam lined , worth a check.
However, they would need hardwood framing to withstand the abuse by those intending harm.

I love the idea of PVC pipe but the drop on everything i have would require a 10" id tube.
I am going to experiment today with using a 10 inch pipe and flattening it. one could use wood to cap it. just sucks we have to try to gorilla proof our shipments. I am so reticent to ship something i have put months of time into that i won't sell except face to face.
I have one build that needs to get to Ohio somehow. maybe a Road trip.
1727715516515.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm glad the UPS drivers in my area are top notch! It's USPS and fedex that I have problems with.
In my 30+ years in the manufacturing industry, it's not usually the drivers or your local branch post office. The majority of the damages occur at the local distribution points. Common carrier freight is the same.

I love the idea of PVC pipe but the drop on everything i have would require a 10" id tube.
I am going to experiment today with using a 10 inch pipe and flattening it. one could use wood to cap it. just sucks we have to try to gorilla proof our shipments. I am so reticent to ship something i have put months of time into that i won't sell except face to face.
I have one build that needs to get to Ohio somehow. maybe a Road trip.
View attachment 352255
That's the problem. Imagine the shipping weight of a 10"X72" schedule-40 PVC Pipe. LOL And shippers hate "round" tube items anyway.

In my 30+ years in the manufacturing industry, it's not usually the drivers or your local branch post office. The majority of the damages occur at the local distribution points. Common carrier freight is the same.
Well then my local UPS is too notch. Never had a single issue with a UPS delivery. Had many issues with USPS and a few with FedEx delivering to the wrong house. FedEx and the mail lady haul balls on our private gravel drive. We have 20mph signs but they don't care. My driveway wraps around our house and FedEx thinks they have to drive their huge trucks around their. The mail lady think she needs to squeeze between our vehicles when she drives down there and she does not like to get out of her car. She left some items laying on the side of the road in the rain at the mail box one time. She stuffed my barrel from B. Hoyt in the mail box and rubber banded the door to the red flag. Complains to me everytime she has to drive to our house to make a delivery. The UPS location lady is very nice. The PO in two neighboring towns are not very professional or friendly. One local PO is pretty nice, but they aren't the ones that deliver my mail.

On the idea of a telescoping shipping box : I have seen them in heavy cardboard when purchasing boxes for shipping modern things.

CAMERON SHIPPING BOXES. Good variety of boxes to choose from cardboard to foam lined , worth a check.
However, they would need hardwood framing to withstand the abuse by those intending harm.
Yes, Cameron has a good selection at reasonable prices. The problem is the "shipping" cost adds a bunch if you want to order say 5 double-wall long boxes. Shipping can cost more than the boxes.
Fortunately for me, I can still buy the boxes from my last employer that I retired from. They were used to ship small hydrants. By coincidence, they work perfectly for shipping muzzle loaders. I get them very cheap since they purchase them locally by the truck load. Double-wall, telescoping to over 72" if needed. The double wall becomes a quad-wall in the center where the two boxes meet. Then I pack the rifle with used mattress foam.

I think the box was pre-cut before obliteration. It's too perfect a break. You could say the rifle went through the Revolutionary Way and it played Whack-a-Mole with a few redcoats before meeting it's demise.
Long ago I used to ship my rifles USPS wrapped up in corrugated wrap roll cardboard so it was 3" thick all over, which at the time was USPS approved. It worked out just fine, but these days it would be a red letter target for Mike Tyson's punching bag. I did have a 3" thick x 5' tiger maple plank mysteriously disappear on it's way to me through USPS once. I didn't insure it. Wouldn't think you'd have too. Got a sucker's gold star that day.

Back