• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

US wolves taken off endangered list, clearing way for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to consider myself a sportsman but I still think the people out West got it shoved up their noses with the wolf importation and I still would like to shoot some.

aww, i was jes bustin, we already went thru the whats the diff between sportsman and hunter thing..i'd love to go on a wolf hunt,,but before this i heard there was only one place in canada that you could legally hunt them..can't remember what part of canada, was on one of them tv huntin shows..a while back..you could buy a tag to go along with whatever they were huntin..deer? caribou? moose? bear? i ferget.guess i'll have ta stay here in n.y. an call coyotes...an wait fer deer season..

In Germany we have a similar discussion. And you have to notice that GE is much smaller and more dense populated as the US.

In GE we have also wolves which have immigrated from Poland. In nearly all middle mountains like Bavarian Forest, Harz, Black Forest the lynx (Luchs) kind of small bobcat is also immigranted or was articical populated there.

Nearly all members of the hunting association were at first against these natural predators. They were in fear that their deer population could be harvested too much while they didn't do it by adequate hunting. But they didn't say that really. They claim the danger for the public because of the wolves and even the lynx.The argues were there is no place for predators in GE, too much danger and so on. The top of this development was the killing of a brown bear in summer 2006 in Bavaria, Alpes. At first the bear, immigrated from Italy, was welcome, but then he killed sheeps and rabbitss and robbed some bees housings. So he was no more welcome and the authorities decide to kill him. You have to know that both Italy and Austria have brown bear populations also they are much smaller than GE.

Very curious.

YES .......... is there a problem with that ?

some folks just will never get the difference, and i won't bother to try and make it my job to educate them...

RC, I checked the B.C. hunting regs- available online- and it looks like you can hunt wolves most of the year and take 2, 3, 6?? depending on where you hunt.
Come on out! Just don't try to tell folks around here that wolves are dangerous.... :rotf: Oh, if you actually get one (with a ML)... My hat is off to you! It takes some skill.. or luck.. to bag a wolf in the big woods!

This "topic" is "howling good" and full of all sorts of misconceptions, misinformation, prejudices, biases, shortsightedness, bragadagio, faulty facts, macho impulses, devil's advocate come ons, pure ignorance, naivete, propaganda, agenda proliferation, irretractable stubborness, declarations of blood lust, inane statements and lastly, a typical discussion where no "minds" have been changed. What most went in with is what most came out with. All in all, this lengthy discussion has been an exercise in futility and if by chance someone has a different opinion than what he originally thought, please reply and prove me wrong. {I'm not infallible by a long shot and don't claim to be}......Fred

I live with this "problem" up here in NE. Wisconsin . Although I have no first hand encounters with the wolves a friend of mine has, he had one of his coyote hounds killed by an aggressive pack this past fall. He reported it to the DNR, and the feds and it was confirmed as a wolf kill. He has friends that have also lost bear hounds to the wolves. They have been told that the will be reimbursed by the government for their loss, his friend has been waiting over a year, still no reimbursment. In the "Wisconsin Outdoors News", an outdoors newspaper about Wisconsin hunting and fishing, there was an article about the wolf "problem", it says that a young boy, 15 yrs. old, was chased off a deer that he had shot while he waited for his father to return with a camera to take pictures of the boy and his deer.
These incidents make me a little nervous about taking my brittany out for a little bird hunting, as there are 3 packs that have home ranges where I hunt. According to what I have read Wisconsin has about 500 wolves and the goal is only around 350. We are told to find new places to hunt, but if you were to go to the WI. DNR website and look at the wolf distribution map you will see how much area they cover. I don't think they should be eliminated, but they sure need to be controled.

:hatsoff: Looks like you have matured in the sporting world. Me to. I still like to hunt ,but very rarely take a shot any more.BTW had 75 elk grazing through the snow in front of my kitchen window this PM. ( my horses don't like them) :v :v The wolves are keeping them down into the lower elev.

This "topic" is "howling good" and full of all sorts of misconceptions, misinformation, prejudices, biases, shortsightedness, bragadagio, faulty facts, macho impulses, devil's advocate come ons, pure ignorance, naivete, propaganda, agenda proliferation, irretractable stubborness, declarations of blood lust, inane statements and lastly, a typical discussion where no "minds" have been changed. What most went in with is what most came out with. All in all, this lengthy discussion has been an exercise in futility and if by chance someone has a different opinion than what he originally thought, please reply and prove me wrong. {I'm not infallible by a long shot and don't claim to be}......Fred

My thoughts exactly! I jus' couldn't come up with all those great descriptive words.
I really don't think the DNR should be binging wolves back into their old range.... think about it, the wolves are gone from there for some reason. Bringing wolves into an area that the other, prey species has not had to worry about them for many generations, well seems like they might make easy targets for aggresive preditors...
I'm sure wolves would become a problem to other wildlife if they are given a chance to become densly populated. And I'm sure we all practice some form of 'extermination' of pests (mice, spiders an such) around the house. I just don't buy all the fear mongering about The Big Bad Wolf.
This topic has been entertaining though.... Its even morphed into another topic in another catagory..."unrelated topics"... which is what this topic has evolved into as well, cause I don't hear many folks ready to step out and legaly hunt wolves, fair chase, with their frontstuffer.
If we were to drop this topic until one of the participants actualy bagged a wolf this way, I don't think we would have much to read here for some time. Besides we could use the space for more practial huntin' stories...

I think if you did fair chase you'd wan't a backup gun (or two) maybe large bore pistol(s) with buckshot. An Enfield or Springfield that you could fix a bayonette on is another thing that comes to mind.

I'm talking about being on the ground stalking/still hunting, if a pack took you by surprise like the one on the other moose post you'd have to be lucky a tree was close.

I know most people will say most wolves flee rather than fight a human but recently there have been instances in CD and AK where this was not so.

Look at European history, when the humans took to killing each other the wolves took to the cities rather than the hills. Lots of carrion there and I'm not relating to dead livestock.

Anyway, most places in the US now will only be problematic with the reintroduction of wolves. Hell, here in mASSachusetts the liberals in Boston don't want you to shoot a coyote but scream bloody murder if their poodle "Fifi" get taken for a snack.

Maybe when the weather warms up a bit we can all get to the range and have some muzzleloading discussions afterwards. That campfire seems to be a little less frazzled. For a while I thought Claude was going to add "Wolves" to the banned discussion topics list. Religion, Inl**es and Wolves - Oh My! GC

[/quote]
think about it, the wolves are gone from there for some reason.[/quote)

You mean like the bison, gone for some reason :youcrazy:
Sorry just had to throw that in,
The wolves have their place like all critters that make up a natural balance, If your an American and you're scared, carry a gun I do, I never go anywere without one, That said I am a hunter first and if somthing is tipping the scale and creating an overabundance of preditors I want it changed. Weather it's to many out of state hunters(Co suffers from that hugely) or two many yoties(Co also suffers from that) to wolves in the northwest corner of MT.
Yes we need wolves to create a balance that humans cannot. But... not at the expense of our wildlife or a farmers livelyhood. We need resonable balance, the Fish and game is full of
:bull: we all know it so it's up to us the hunters,conservationist,nature lovers to create that balance, through legal means by contacting your local reps in charge or in extream cases ( I am going to have to agree with roundball on this one) at the end of a barrel if they don't listen. shoot,shovel,an shut up!! Rember by god these are our public lands not the kings, If you don't like what's going on don't gripe about it on this forum get off your ass and do somthing about it.
:hatsoff:

"the Fish and game is full of :bull: "

Whew!, thought I was the only one.

Im a bit of a conspiracy theorist when it comes to our (ND's) game and fish and USFWS.

he had one of his coyote hounds killed by an aggressive pack this past fall.
Does anyone else see the irony in the situation?
One sporting puppy (hound) chasing a frightened puppy (coyote), eaten buy a big bad puppy (wolf).
Sorry about buddy's dog, and I wouldn't want it to happen to anyone, but compensation?? Really??
Some folks think think the sport should be so neat and tidy. Didn't the guy realize when he went out huntin' somethin' was gonna get hurt?
It's like gettin ate by a bear while your huntin' :rotf:

You mean like the bison, gone for some reason
Yeah... I do mean like that... I wouldn't advocate retuning bison to the plains either. Even if the critters are gone because of mans' hand, there is a reason for it, and to reintruduce them may cause trouble.
Turkeys seem to be an exception to this rule... reintroduced in many areas.... does anyone have a problem with them??? I don't know..

Turkeys are so well established here, they have become a nuisance in some areas. I personally don't care because I enjoy seeing them but a lot of people who don't know any better see them as pests.

Personally I think we should depopulate Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha's Vinyard and Longuyland, burn the woods down so the bushes can grow again and reintroduce one of the prairie chickens which are the closest relatives of the Heath Hen. How about reintroducing the cheetah to the plains. It's been 10,000 years since they went extinct and the Pronghorn are starting to forget why they need to run at 60 mph. My favorite would be introducing the water ouzel to the the Appalacians. How come the folks in the Rockys won't share? GC

guncobbler said:
Personally I think we should depopulate Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha's Vinyard and Longuyland, burn the woods down so the bushes can grow again and reintroduce one of the prairie chickens which are the closest relatives of the Heath Hen. How about reintroducing the cheetah to the plains. It's been 10,000 years since they went extinct and the Pronghorn are starting to forget why they need to run at 60 mph. My favorite would be introducing the water ouzel to the the Appalacians. How come the folks in the Rockys won't share? GC

How about reintroducing the weasel to the people in Boston (their basements) that outlawed trapping in MA by referendum? Won't be no need for mouse/rat traps or exterminators then! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back