• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using Tarsal Glands For hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erhunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have good luck with using the rear tarsal glands from a buck to bag another deer? My son got a buck and I might save the rear leg glands if they are useful, any opinion would be appreciated! Thanks!

I have heard of it, never have tried it.

In considering things, what can it hurt? They are free and you do not have to feed them

I would be careful with walking eagles ideal especially if the rut is going on, perhaps a piece of string about 18 in. long tied to a boot as a drag on your walk to the stand then hang on a limb near where your hunting. Same as with doe urine, on a bit of cloth. I would never attach something like this other than mentioned you may get a surprise from a ornery buck.

I would be careful with walking eagles ideal especially if the rut is going on, perhaps a piece of string about 18 in. long tied to a boot as a drag on your walk to the stand then hang on a limb near where your hunting. Same as with doe urine, on a bit of cloth. I would never attach something like this other than mentioned you may get a surprise from a ornery buck.
Lol, like I said, it works!
String idea only works if you’re on bald prairie. It gets way too tangled otherwise.
Walk

I've had guns tell me they had good luck by attaching them to your shoes. They say a buck can easily pick up the scent and follow it. Those things can get pretty ripe, so I can imagine another buck wouldn't have any problem locating the scent.

Walking eagle, perhaps where you hunt, I have deer hunted mountains since I was 10 years old, done the drag thing I mentioned without any problems, I stand bye my comments about permanently attaching a scent of anything to your body when hunting deer or any other big game animal. No doubt it would work just as pouring a gallon of honey over your head and go black bear hunting. A mature buck in rut is nothing to mess with unless he is in your sites. Ever watch two of them fight it out and you would realize you would not stand much of a chance.

Yes. I take the tarsals off of a rutting (use gloves) DOE, tie it in half with string, and douse it with doe in heat scent. Drag it behind you, leaving a scent trail to your stand. Hang it at eye level near thicker tree cover.
For me the best hits by bucks have been in the early afternoon. The come sniffing like a puppy. Make sure you hang it where you can shoot it, I put my first one on the wrong side, and had to shoot the buck left handed and eat my pan flash!

I cut tarsal glands from fresh 🎯 killed deer(road kills, or back when we had checking stations ) does and bucks the darker stain the better, best time around the first week of nov. Rut. used as a drag then hung in a shooting lane. gloves are a must double bagged and labeled if kept in frig(or the wife will have your:doh: guts....) sometimes freshened with buck or rut scent
in archery season works great with a decoy

Walking eagle, perhaps where you hunt, I have deer hunted mountains since I was 10 years old, done the drag thing I mentioned without any problems, I stand bye my comments about permanently attaching a scent of anything to your body when hunting deer or any other big game animal. No doubt it would work just as pouring a gallon of honey over your head and go black bear hunting. A mature buck in rut is nothing to mess with unless he is in your sites. Ever watch two of them fight it out and you would realize you would not stand much of a chance.
Not gonna get into a pssing match with you sir. Not worth the effort.
Walk

I've used felt pad scent wicks with various scent lure concoctions as drags, always off a string. Don't want to wind up some monster buck's equivalent of a prison b__h. Also, if the scent gets on my boots or pant cuffs before I climb into my stand,,,, I've learned the hard way that deer know that other deer don't climb....
I have had the string tangle on occasion, not a big deal.

Glad this topic was posted. I usually use Tink's Trails End. But, new this year, Connecticut has banned the use of any deer scent lure containing real deer urine. Have been thinking of giving tarsap gland a try.

Anyone know if they will stay a viable option until next fall if in a well sealed container and frozen?

Thanks guys for all of the replies and I will try them! This is a great forum and very smart people on here with great ideas and experience.

Use caution on how you use scents.. 'Bout 20 years ago had an unusual encounter w/ a buck. First day of bear season in Pa. , was walking down a cyclone fence line in the woods , bumped into a herd of 6 deer normally seen in that location. 5 of them moved away and a buck stayed. He was about 25 ft. from me and went in a semicircle around me to the fence on the left , then a 180 deg. circle to the fence on the right. At that point , I kicked the safety off on my Mauser and asked him if he wanted some of this. No way he could understand me , but he moved off slowly while my nerves slowly calmed. Guess I might have smelled like a doe , but didn't look quite right.....True story.............oldwood

"Glad this topic was posted. I usually use Tink's Trails End. But, new this year, Connecticut has banned the use of any deer scent lure containing real deer urine. Have been thinking of giving tarsap gland a try."

What was the rational reasoning in passing that law? I can only imagine.

Yes, I have used them with success! I take them from rutting Bucks..
I keep mine frozen, and they will last year to year.
But I usually replace them after the next kill.
Tinks #69 is my go to lure... Tn hasn’t made scent usage against the law.... yet.

I don’t drag any type of lure or apply to the ground. I hang mine from a tree limb or on my stand... when I have one of those Senior moments......

Works good for a couple of days to mask your scent. Noticed deer crossing path don't spoke as they normally do. Never been one to use store bought scent,

Back