• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using yellow "GOLD" for stock inlays?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcdflint

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Dental Lab and do a lot of gold teeth casting. Have any of You used gold inlays. Did They in the original flintlocks of the past ? I could carve out the stock and pour wax in and cast the inlays and put them in stock for a very tight fit!

Don't know about GOLD or if it was done in the past. Maybe 20 or 25 years ago I read in Muzzleblasts I think about a Dentist using filling silver to make inlays but he just cut the wood then filled it proud and sanded it down after it got hard. It looked good from the pictures as there were no gaps but PC I don't think so.
Fox

Some of the early French, and other European, presentation guns had gold wire and engraved inlays in them. I saw one 1760's French Fowler Monte Mandarino did with several thousands of dollars worth of gold in it. For a general run of the mill rifle, I believe it would be out of place. Looking through R.L.Wilson's, "Steel Canvas", the only gold I have noticed on ML's have been one or two gold rings inlaid around the breech end of the barrel. Once again, only on high grade firearms.

Be sure to undercut the wood for the inlay, this will keep it in place during recoil...

Thanks All! I might try it on My TC Hawkens. I can cut in a inlay design with My Dental handpiece ,fill it in with wax. I then will invest the wax-up. Burn out the wax (Lost wax casting)in a 1,200 degree funace. Then I will cast it in My centrifugal caster. The inlays will be smoothed and polished. I will ruff up the bottom side so they will bond better also,need good retention.They should have a great fit, with no visable lines. I,ll finish them at wood level. I'll get it done and post a photo. Jeff

Musketman, What area of Ohio are You from. I'm in Southeastern Ohio,(Harrison County). Hunt Much ? ,Jeff

What glue would be best to put in the inlays. I just waxed up a inlay and will cast it in about a hour. I did the inlay on My T C Hawkens. I carved My Indian style trade mark on the other side of the lock.Waxed it,invested it. I can cast in Yellow gold, white (non-presious or gold) or silver. I might try brass,but I never did that yet. Jeff p.s. it might be nice to have your initials in gold in the side of Your stock on Your handmade flintlock?

Musketman, What area of Ohio are You from. I'm in Southeastern Ohio,(Harrison County). Hunt Much ? ,Jeff

I'm in Andover on route 7, about 1/2 mile from PA line...

The inlay i put in the stock of my gun I used the 2 part epoxy .Equal parts of A and B. You can get it at your local auto parts store.
I use a Saquajawia coin

Woody

I was up Your way Yesterday for New Years Party,East of Dorset, off Rt, 193. A good Hunting Buddie lives there. I'll have to stop and see Ya the next time I'm up there. Jeff

Woodhick , Thanks,that was what I was thinking to use. I though there might be something else also. I'll try Yours. Jeff :agree:

JCDFlint: you might try sawing small inlays from casting ingots with a jeweler's saw. Shouldn't be difficult - unless you use ingots that weigh in grams instead of dwt. UGH!!! - the Sterngold gram ingots are too tiny. A direct casting is probably the most efficient. Your next step should be to try a intricate side plate??? Stay away from that NP stuff; its no good for you. I'm a Prosthodontist.

Mule Ear! Thanks, The gold inlay turned out great! Email Me I'll send photo. I wen't to a "Beryllium Free" nickel-chromiun non-prec. Years ago. I might try some gold wire too. Jeff P.S. I know a Quality C&B Lab if You know any Dr's. that need cases that are on time LOL!

I just finished another inlay on the T C Hawkins. I did it on the left side cheek. I put in a heart shape piece of Red Indian pipestone (5/8) then I casted gold around it in a looping fashion. Turned out great! I also did some stock carving below the cheek. I inlayed gold dots at the end of each swiral. I know this probably dosn't go on a Hawkens ,but it looks good and I get to try out inlaying and carving! I'll research when I build My 36. cal. Jeff

Are you kiddin'?? Cases done ON TIME????? Come on, really? What planet are YOU from???? Just kidding with you. :D I have my own in-house fixed tech; what I really need is a removable tech. Regardless of the safety of it all, I find that I can not work with NP - can't burnish margins, and occlusal adjustmments are awful, to say nothing of polishing those adjustments. :: I quit with Rexillium. Just give me gold every time.
Glad to hear you are pleased with your castings. I once cast a brass repro grotesque-face pistol butt cap using old .22 casings. Seemed to be fine for the purpose. Zinc oxide all over, tho.

Back