• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

VAriation in manufacture of original revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaty

32 Cal.
Reaction score
While collecting research for my 3D modelling project I have started to notice that there is a degree of variation even in one make and model of original percussion revolvers.

Was this generally normal for the time?

For example: The Colt Navy 1851 ~

I have many photos of this now (being a very common make/model) and there are variations in length of barrel, shape of barrel, material for manufacture (steel/brass), fluted/non-fluted cylinder, shape of trigger guard, etc, etc...

I also notice variations in same models of other manufacturers.

Were these factory/manufacturing decisions - or slight updates by the original designers (or both) do you think?

There was a lot less mass production of parts. They were more making guns to order back then. I'm sure there were other variables such as trimming costs, meeting contract specifications, etc.

The 1st Generation Colts were all built steel framed and all the same, regardless of model designation. Within each model there were Military and Civilian models but basically the same tooling and drawings. Such as 1st model 1851 Navy Squareback triggrguard, 2nd model Oval t/g, London Navy steel triggerguard. Whitneyville, 1st, 2nd, 3rd model Dragoons. The brass framed 1851 Navys represent the Confederate Griswold&Gunnison that the South replicated from the 1851 Navy but used brass do to the lack of funds and/or steel. These were not Colts but are made the same as steel frame in replicas.
Hope that helps.

Yes thanks...

I am learning a little about manufacturing techniques of the time (thanks to this group).

Very interesting subject on it's own!

I was very surprised when I learned about 'patterns' - this was something I never knew about. I always presumed the manufacturer worked from technical dawings!

Tell me - how did all this 'variation' effect quality?

Cheers,

Beaty

Colt revolvers were manufactured on automated machinery and were true mass produced items. The same goes for U.S. military long arms. The use of steel, as opposed to iron, in firearms was rare before smokeless powder, it was just too expensive. The most notable exception being the cyinders of Colt revolvers and maybe damascus barreled guns.

Differences in barrel length are because of demand. The use of brass is because brass was cheaper than iron, and easier to work. The above applies only to mass produced arms.

Pattern is a british term which just means a standardized item and nothing more.

The very first British mass-produced long arms were also produced on US-made machinery, made by Eli Whitney.

A couple of points on your post, Mr Beaty, if I may be so bold as to comment.

I have in my possession at least ten books showing how weapons work, including numerous full cut-away diagrams of a percussion revolver. And I live in England - mostly. And please note that it is not necessary to buy a deactivated percussion revolver - if you buy an antique it is an antique - you do not need a licence for it.

Perhaps it might be best if you came to see me when I get back from Japan in December, if you can wait that long. I have new and old percussion revolvers for you to examine to your heart's content, more digital cameras than Jessops, and a fully set-up home imaging system that will allow you to walk out of the door with CD-ROMs full of images.

I can't say more than that.

As for patterns, the term is used in the United Kingdom to denote the original agreed and certified 'model' of the weapon under contract. When the company making it has finalised the 'model' the pattern is 'sealed', that is to say, affixed with an actual red wax seal, and is then set as the standard piece on which all other subsequent manufacturing dimensions are based. The MoD Pattern Room, now part of the Royal Armouries in Leeds, holds every single sealed pattern weapon ever used by the British Army, and many others as well, including some of the orginals made by Christian Sharps.

You might like to pay a visit there some time if you have a day next year when I go up there next. It is not open to the general public.

Best wishes from Tokyo

tac

Wow! What fantastic replies..

I should start by saying how bowled over I have been by the level of help and patience I have recieved from this forum.

I came to this forum a complete stranger, completely ignorant about percussion arms, and yet I have been given a superb welcome and unpresidented level of assistance by the members of this forum.

TAC, hope you read this, I would be over the moon if I could take you up on your offer and pay you a visit in December. Many thanks for your helpful comments.

P.

Mr Beaty - I come back to UK on december 16 - please give me a few days to get my head back in order from the jet-lag. I usually go Tokyo/Vancouver to see friends, then over the top, so I am actually going backwards and sideways over the IDL. Takes a while to ctach up, eh?

E-mail me nearer the time to remind me, OK?

tac

Eli Whitney invented mass produced interchangeable parts for firearms and the assembly line but the machinery the British purchased was supplied by Robbins & Lawrence. I believe the same firm supplied Colt with machinery. Eli Whitney died in 1825.

I might have got that wrong, and I thank you for correcting me, but I am reliably informed that the Hall carbine was the first ever mass-produced military firearm.

tac

Latest posts

Back