• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

W.M. Large

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelSnavely

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a new (to me) Tennessee longrifle coming that has a 44" W.M. Large barrel on it in .45 cal.. I fell in love with this longrifle as soon as I saw a pic of it, but I don't know anything about it other than who made the barrel.

Just wondering what ya'll can tell me bout it. Here is the pic I saw. It should be here in a few days.

Thanks!

newrifle.jpg

newrifle3.jpg

newrifle2.jpg

Bill Large was one of the best barrel makers back in the 50's and 60's. As a matter of fact he was about the only one. A lot of his guns are still winning matches.

He was a character. You might order a .60 caliber 48" barrel and he would deliver a .50 caliber 42" barrel. Most builders just took what Bill delivered and went from there.

At Friendship the Bill Large match is shot on the Primitive side and is an old style "Chunk Gun" match.

Many Klatch

yup ,some of the best barrels made,stamped his name on the high side.barrels have what they call run out,(not true centre),so he stamped on the high side,so barrel would shoot high and you could file the site down,to shoot centre..Yoy gotta good one

There is a clue as to when it was made in the way that Bill stamped the barrel. At some date he started adding J. J. J. Ranch to his stampings. The Js are the initials of his daughters. As I understand it he added more Js as the 4 girls were born. This one predates all this. I'll try to come up with the date over the weekend.

Paul

Whoever built this gun did you no favor. The maker's stamp should be on the bottom flat, not on a side flat. Its current location may cause problems for you getting it to Hit the same POI at ranges other than where its is " zeroed". Because Bill made such fine barrels, Lets hope that the run-out on this barrel is minimal, and won't give you those problems. The only way to know is to shoot the gun.

paulvallandigham said:
Whoever built this gun did you no favor. The maker's stamp should be on the bottom flat, not on a side flat. Its current location may cause problems for you getting it to Hit the same POI at ranges other than where its is " zeroed". Because Bill made such fine barrels, Lets hope that the run-out on this barrel is minimal, and won't give you those problems. The only way to know is to shoot the gun.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You obviously know nothing about Bill Large.
Some came with "inscriptions" on the upper angle flat.
Often concerning the middle initial of your name if it appeared on your check or signature.

Dan

trucker said:
:confused: wonder why any builder would build such a nice rifle and use a Spanish/jukar "cva" lock or is it something else?

It could be a Russ Hamm "Maslin" a decent lock at the time frame of the barrel. A great many things that came/come from overseas are copies of current production American made items. Pedersoli copied a Shiloh Sharps for example, not an original. The RH Maslin was copied as well.

Dan

trucker said:
:confused: wonder why any builder would build such a nice rifle and use a Spanish/jukar "cva" lock or is it something else?
Probably all that was available back when this gun was made. May have been made in the 50's or 60's.

Russ Hamm locks were good locks. He always used forged springs rather than cast. His molds were getting worn out in the early '70's and parts could be a little sloppy. I don't know when CVA came on the scene but I'd venture to say after Russ Hamm.

My first couple of rifles used Hamm locks. First a Bedford County flintlock and then the P. Gonter. Went to Siler kits after that.

Hamm also sold a depleted uranium (something like that) material for facing frizzens. Stuff sparked like a house afire!

Ben

From all I know about the rifle is that this is probably a Hamm lock. The rifle has been fired very little. The guy I got it from told me that he got it from an older gentleman at an estate sale who only fired it a couple times, took it hunting and got a deer with it, cleaned it and put it away many years ago. It hasn't been fired since. He said the lock looks almost new and has few scratches on it. He put a flint in it and it throws "showers" of sparks he told me.

I am more interested in W.M. Large and dating the rifle. Also trying to find out the rifle maker if possible. I don't actually have it in hand yet so I can't say much else about it. Once I get it I'll take more pics and look for things that may give a clue at to maker.

From my understanding Large barrels were (and are) some of the most accurate around. It was made to shoot I'm sure and I can't bring myself to just let it hang on a wall.

Once I shoot it and determine a load and accuracy, this will be my deer rifle,,,,The Buck Whacker...lol

Thanks for your help!
Del

hanshi said:
You hit the ground running, Del. Hasn't been that long since you got that GPR! :thumbsup:

Man you have NO idea...rofl
I have the GPH, now this .45 and I'm having a .36 42" longrifle made for me...lol

They're like Lays Potato Chips,,,,ya can't have just one...lol

I'm goin' broke with addiction...lol

I have a nice Uberti 1871 conversion pistol for sale now, so I can buy my first fowler...lol

Help me please, I'm HOOKED...lol :surrender:

Del,
I have tp agree with Mike and Dan re the W.M.Large markings, they are correct. He did mark his later barrels with JJJJ but I never have seen one with JJJ. You will also find Bill's barrels marked with a capital L on the bottom of the muzzle face. It is my understanding that these were freshed out by Bill at a later date, not certain of this. I have had quite a few of his barrels and still have some squirreled away, they are typically good shooters.
Mark

Papa said:
I have had quite a few of his barrels and still have some squirreled away, they are typically good shooters.
Mark
Man, you are either lucky or must have had some other karma going for you. I never could get one of his barrels, always too many ahead of me, didn't want to take any more orders for a while, etc.

I also have a .45 cal. W.M.Large barrel marked on the top flat as yours. Strange that mine shoots pretty much on if I do my part. Always nice to hear from the experts, real or imagined :wink:, about these barrels.
Will be headed out to Ohio Ramrods shortly to "shoot the bull" and try his mini's.
R

Can't tell you when your rifle was made but that lock looks just like the Russ Hamm lock on my southern mountain rifle. CVA copied the appearance of this lock. The lock will be marked inside with his name. Good reliable little sparker too. :thumbsup:

DelSnavely said:
hanshi said:
You hit the ground running, Del. Hasn't been that long since you got that GPR! :thumbsup:

I have the GPH, now this .45 and I'm having a .36 42" longrifle made for me...lol

I have a nice Uberti 1871 conversion pistol for sale now, so I can buy my first fowler...lol

It would appear you found a lucky keeper. And, hey; This forum IS a support group for this addiction!

hanshi said:
DelSnavely said:
hanshi said:

It would appear you found a lucky keeper. And, hey; This forum IS a support group for this addiction!

Yep, I think this is a true keeper.

Is it a "Support Group", or an "Pusher Group"?... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Latest posts

Back