• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

W.M. Large

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russ T Frizzen said:
My flintlock is clearly marked with Russ Hamm's name on the inside of the plate, but there isn't anything marked on the outside. The rifle was made in August of 1973 by C. or G. Bird. using a G. R. Douglas barrel.
Dan

I think you are repeating yourself. I never commented on how your lock is marked and I have not the slightest doubt its marked as described.
Is it a Maslin, or a Gonter, Bedford?
My point here is that the lock being marked MM Maslin does not make it an original lock without more careful examination.

Dan

Sorry, Dan. It's a Maslin and I've looked at it under magnification and there's no trace of any marking at all.
Dan

DelSnavely said:
So what do I look for on the inside of this lock to determine it's origen? There is no writing.

Do a photo as close as possible centered on the tumbler.
Its very difficult sometimes to figure these things out. A great number of people out there are clueless. There is one of my rifles out there, circa 1968, with a Douglas barrel and a Russ Hamm "Gonter" that two antique dealers told an owner was a rev-war piece. Even though its signed on the barrel and OBVIOUSLY has a modern barrel.
The engraving. The engraving seems identical on the cock of your lock and the lock in the Russ Hamm ad. The Russ Hamm and later Dean Mitton ads both use the same photograph and while the reproduction in the Mitton ad is a little better what is there is not decernable its just a change in the texture where the lettering is. Chances are the design on the cock was not even drawn on by the engraver in the 1840s just cut from memory and they were far more concerned with speed than uniformity from piece to piece.
Since its got a lock bolt screw hole the lock in the ad is a used lock or maybe the original.
The frizzen spring on your lock is identical to the two Russ Hamm frizzen springs I still have and those pictured. He used the same spring on all the flintlocks he made as near as I can tell. I have a Maslin flint cock someplace but its apparently "someplace safe" so safe I can't find it. I also have a Maslin percussion hammer from 1972 or so and it does not have the engraving the one in the ad has but has engraving like the flint cock.
So what is in the ads may be in conflict with reality depending, maybe, on when something was made.

I simply am attempting to help you here. The chances that someone used an original lock is pretty remote. Its possible but you must be SURE before making pronouncements.
From what I have seen its a Hamm lock. But I could easily be wrong.
I gotta run.
Dan

Dan Phariss said:
Heh heh!
Along with his "normal" markings Bill Large used to "personalize" barrels too.
Might come with almost anything stamped on them that struck his fancy at the time.
John D. Baird had a barrel come in stamped with John "Dinglehoofer" Baird. Etc.

I had one stamped "Daniel "Wildfire" Phariss".
Of course I ordered a barrel for a flint Hawken and got a percussion..... This was circa 1972. Dumb me I sold it off rather than rebreeching, but I was tool and shop "challenged" at the time just back from the army and working on being a flight instructor.
Anyone who would figure out a way to positively figure out what was stamped when and why would would need a crystal ball.

Dan
The last Large barrel I built a gun around was a 50" X 1 1/4"X .45 for a chunk gun. Below his usual barrel stamping was stamped "OLD MAID'S DREAM". :haha: I have seen a couple other long barreled chunk gun barrels made by Large stamped the same way. Bill evidently had quite a sense of humor. :wink:

Another WM Large marking, on a gun made in late 60s or early 70s. The barrel is 44cal as shown in the marking.

wmlarge.jpg

Mike Brooks said:
I will call Dad, he is one of the living few that has personally talked with Bill.
That must make me older than dirt...... :shocked2:

And I'm only 50. Didn't know him well, but I remember him. And there are several others in my club who knew him real well.

Back