• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wad size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonibaruch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I haven't ever used a overpowder wad, but would like to try.

Where I live, wads of 0.45 caliber are not available, it seems me, while I can easily find 0.44 felt wads. Do they work in my slightly larger barrel?

Tb

In my experiance, if the .44 felt wads are made for the .44 cal. pistol, they are oversized to fit the cylinder cavity and would work in your rifle. It just depends on your rifle if this would help your accuracy. Try several different loads with and without wads to see which works best. The only gun I own that uses felt wads/roundball well is my .62 smoothbore fowler.

:v The .44 wads might be a little loose to help much other than to carry some extra lubricant.
I've had better results with OP wads if the they are tight in the bore and thick enough to resist burning. They need to protect the base of the bullet from hot gases.
I punch my own using an "ARCH" punch and punch milk carton material or paper tablet cardboard backers. "Arch" punches are commonly used by saddle-makers, most hardware stores have them hidden somewhere on a shelf. :v

Try a 50 cal. wad in your .45. I'll bet it'll work just fine.

Latest posts

Back