• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wads Vs Lube Vs Paper Cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lube over ball won 't work when carrying for grouse hunting during hot weather. Both grease and wads add to cost of loading but o.k. for target or competition. By

Just for me: the horror potential of chain fire is sorta like holding a hand grenade while it explodes. In cooler weather I've even used Crisco. Not losing my favorite hands over a tablespoon of grease and 12 seconds.
I’ve never heard of any blackpowder revolver exploding unless loaded with smokeless powder. Ever. Chainfires, in my limited experience and from the comments of others are really a non event. The ball or bullet leaves the cylinder at a hundred or so fps, doesn’t do much except leave a smear of lead on the frame. If someone has had another experience, I’d love to hear about it.

My standard goofing off load is 5-10gr of 3F topped with a 30gr Pyrodrek pellet. Add lubed felt wad, ball, quick smear of T17, cap it and make some noise.
My serious business load is 35-40gr of Swiss or T7 3F, .457 swaged round ball, as much T17 or Bore Butter as can be forced into the cylinder. Cap it and go fill the freezer.
Long term loaded storage? 35-40gr of 3F, .457 ball, T17 or melted wax to seal the cylinder mouth. Cap it, and coat the capped nipples with melted wax. Wipe the entire gun down with a T17 clean and lube patch, slide into a holster or padded pistol box. Have stored for a couple years and no ill effects.

But with powder, then a lube cookie or lubed wad and a ball sized so that it completely shaves a 'ring' off when seated ... is the grease on top really necessary (to prevent 'chain fires', not for cleaning purposes)?
According to Sam Colt, not necessary.
Directions for Loading Colt Pistols.jpg

People put lube wads behind the bullets or lube in front of the bullets because it works but do whatever works for you.

Sure does negate that ridiculous assumption that folks back in the day had the hammer down on an empty chamber for "safety". They would give up that precious shot for "safety" :rolleyes:
I can hear the hornets nest buzzing already. :D

I have shot 200 rounds per year for 12 years in the N-SSA competition circles, and I only loaded powder, cornmeal, ball, and lube. I have enough pistol medals to ensure that was a good load. No chain fires, no issues, just hits. Colt knew what he was doing.

ADK Bigfoot

Mrs. Prudence is Miss Security's mother.

The only real safe revolver is an empty one with a fully greased cylinder: no powder, no bullets, just grease...
The safest revolver is an empty one, securely locked in its steel box at the armory. I've tried to do this, but I'm not convinced it's the easiest way to shoot, in any case, this way you'll never get a chain fire... 🙂

Sorry, I can't sleep, so.......😇

Dry Wad, Lubed Wad, Grease, Paper Cartridge as a Round ball shooter I have never experienced much difference in the accuracy of same day shooting. What`s he saying: Lubed Wads will affect accuracy in time, they will contaminate the powder. Grease Over Ball pending heat, climate if the Lead Seal is a little weak on a chamber it can not as bad as lubed wads, Dry Wads, Paper Cartridge present none of the issues Lubed Wads or Grease does. Now the interference or contaminated powder is more for those whom have to carry BP, states/countries/ areas that BP is an only option of carry.

doesn't make much difference either way because experience shows that both work. Lube going down the barrel (either way) helps to cut down on fouling build up and helps with accuracy when you develop a load for what your piece likes.

Back