• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wads: what material?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richl

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Gang:
I am shooting a T/C .50 cal, and not really happy with the groups. I'd like to try using a wad, as I hear positive comments, seems most use felt wads, or hornets nest material, etc.
(shooting aprox 80 grains of 2FF, .490 ball, etc.)

I don't have either of those, and I hear that things like cream of wheat can be used...

Can anyone tell me how to use materials that I might have around the house, for my next trip to the range? what type, how much, etc.
Thanks,
Rich

I've never liked the "cream of wheat" approach. I'm leery of anything that might mix with the powder. Besides it's too much trouble. Lubed felt wads are available in several calibers and I use them in the woods. On the range or plinking I just use a small wad of toilet paper. Works fine.

What patch thickness are you using? Along with a wad, going from a .015 to a .018 patch will close up groups considerably.

Trench, When I went from .015 to .018, I didn't detect any difference, and I thought I would, so I figured the next step might be trying a wad.
Guys at the club reported significant improvement, and it's an area I have not explored.
I have tried from 70-90 grain loads, keeping everything else the same, and I'm not seeing much of a difference.

Hanshi, I'm guessing you just put a pinch of TP down the barrel after dumping in your powder, and then load patch and ball as normal?
(sorry for the basic question, I have never seen it done, and I don't get the impression that the locals I have shot with, know anymore about it than me!)

That's interesting about not seeing a difference with the patch thickness. How tight of a group are you looking for? What is it now?

The groups run to "several inches", with no particular difference as I change powder amounts, all the patterns look random.
I'm stumped, figured I'd try a wad.
(talking 50 yards, by the way)

You can make your own compressed paper wads at home, I see that you are shooting a .50 caliber, so that will make things easier.

Take a plank of wood about a half an inch thick or so and drill a bunch of holes with a 1/2 in drill bit, then lay the board onto a solid surface that you don't mind getting wet.

Take some old newspaper and tear them into thin strips (about an inch wide) and dip them into some water for a minute thereabouts.

Remove the strips one at a time and squeeze out the excess water and then stuff them down into the holes of the board, pack each hole to slightly over-filled.

Once each hole is filled with the wet paper, place another board on top of the drilled board that is filled with the paper and weight it down with something heavy. (this will compress the paper)

Leave it alone for a few days until dried, a sunny place will speed up the drying process. Once dried, just pop them out and you now have compacted paper wads.

The neat thing about these are that you can peel off as much as needed, making two 1/4 inch wads by splitting them in case a half if a full half an inch seems too thick.

I've been using blown in type insulation made from shredded newsprint. I lightly overspray with PAM cooking oil to get it somewhat cohesive and carry in an old cloth shot bag in my pouch.
R

Rich, I am having the same problem, wads did not help either. I would be happy with 2 inch groups.
T/C .50 flinter.Sent the barrel back to t/c waiting to see, dont know what to tell you except I will let you know what they say.If they send the same barrel back I am going to bite the bullet and try to find a green mountain drop in. $225 if one can be found. I like the rifle, ignition is good, but groups = :barf:
lonehunter :v

Great tips guys, thanks!
Lonehunter, I'm having a lot of fun, but it's getting frustrating. My between-rounds cleaning is almost surgical and precise, I'm a decent shot, AND I'm shooting off a rest. I keep thinking it must be a problem with me, my eyes, etc., but I don't think so.
Like you, I have contemplated a different barrel, I'd be curious to see how you make out, with T/C.
Keep me posted would you?
Best,
Rich

I use paper wasp nest material, I use it mainly to keep the lube away from my powder charge when I hunt, I don't see any difference in group size.

Back