• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wall gunning again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marc Adamchek said:
Squire - I'm a late-comer to this party. Just what is the gun you are shooting, and would you happen to have any pictures of it in repose?

Hi Marc

It's a civilian wall piece made around 1790 probably for a ship wanting to deter pirates while out shopping for spice in the South China Seas. It's .96" bore, 64" overall and weighs around 28 lbs. It has the name MEWIS on the underside of the tang and B'ham proofs

They used to take a wall piece when they couldn't quite justify a cannon.

The barrel is around 2" wide at the breech end so it can take a hefty load :thumbsup:

best regards

Squire Robin

wallgun.jpg

Squire Robin said:
The camera microphone couldn't handle the bang but I do like the bit where Roger shoots a chunk out of the tree when his swing gets slightly out of control :rotf:

Is that the part where it was raining fodder as the tree's canopy was set ablaze? :grin:

I noticed everyone was yelling "PULL" as they lifted your gunn, at first I thought it was to signal the skeet thrower they are ready, bit I quickly rejected that notion as I realized it was what was happening to their groin muscles...

"Agggh, it's Pulled!" :rotf:

No, No, Musketman,
They were yelling for he hoist man to help them lift the gonne by wire! Haw Haw! :rotf:
God bless.
volatpluvia

That is a neat piece of "artillery" I saw one of these over at Fort Ticonderoga, NY. Just on display though. I also read somewhere that they could be used out to 600 YDS!! I am not sure of the the source.

Dan

Quick question how much powder is used per shot and so how much does it cost ot pull the trigger? :hmm:

This is Robin's initial post:

"Took my wall gun to the clay shoot this morning, finally found someone who could hold it straight

My powder measure drops 60 gns and my shot measure drops an ounce and a quarter so those are the units. 4 of powder over 4 of shot was bearable, 5 over 5 tended to make people drop the gun and bits fall off the trees, 6 over 6 made my finger go numb but I am pleased to report it now just hurts so no permanent damage done

This is a 4 over 4"

I can see no reason to load that much powder or shot to shoot clay targets. That first device on the forestock in front of the trigger guard is not clear in the picture, but if I recall my history correctly, these guns were often fitted with a swivel, like an oarpin, which fit into an oarlock on the railing of sailing vessels, so the rifle could be steadied and fired like a swivel cannon. Being a rifle, it could also be carried to other parts of the ship to allow it to be aimed at an enemy or pirate ship approaching from a different direction. Large shot, as well as old nuts, and bits of nails were loaded into the barrel to fire and clear sharp shooters from the masts and rigging of the approaching ship, as well as to sweep the decks with a murderous blast of shot. Like most crooks, Pirates were in the business to make a quick buck, not get badly wounded or killed. This kind of gun often deterred an attack and allowed the ship to escape with its crew and cargo in tact.

Save your shoulder, and the price of powder and shot. A load of 2 oz. of shot, and 3 drams of powder should be a light, but effective load for shooting clay targets. The pictures you took here should satisfy the testosterone needs of any of your friends, unless they insist on shooting the gun with powder and shot they provide! You may even be able to reduce that charge of shot down to 1 1/4- 1 1/2 oz. After all, the targets are going to be broken inside 25 yds, for the most part, and just how much shot do you need to break a clay target at those distances? With that huge bore diameter, your shot column will be very short, meaning the shot will arrive at the target in a shorter " string " than what you get shooting a 20 or 12 gauge.

This is the wall gun I got to try. It was a 4 gauge.
Load was 500 grains of 1F goex under a 1.042 dia ball, range was 500 yards.
DSC00367.jpg

DSC00371.jpg

Regards, Dave

I would not mind firing it either. That is not the point. Its like the suggestions about using your deer rifle for squirrel hunting. Its not that the head of the squirrel is going to stay attached if you reduce the powder charge on that .45 PRB gun, but there is no need to shoot more powder than is necessary to kill a squirrel at 75 feet. It saves meat, but kills just as dead.

My suggestion for shooting less powder and shot for those clay targets is to simply suggest that you don't have to go through your limited mad money funds each month as quickly just to prove you have the cohones to fire the big gun with its max charge.

My good friend, George Mitchell, built a .69 cal. slug gun. The barrel was 8 inches across the flats. The gun weighed 100 lbs. He fire 350 grains of FFg powder behind a 2 piece bullet weighing 1760 grains. He shot it at 500 yds, and had a 10 shot target that measure 5.26 " across the group. Velocity was a modest( by most standards) 1050 fps measured 20 feet in front of the muzzle. He sold that gun to one of the other slug gun shooters who wanted it worse than he did. The Smithsonian Institute asked for and has received a sample of his paper patched bullet for its archives.

As long as you tuck that stock firmly into your shoulder, You should be able to fire the big gun without doing yourself injury. George told me that despite the 100 lb weight of his gun, it would dislocate your shoulder if you did not hold it tight. So, some caution is advised. If you have not trained to shoot heavy recoiling guns, you might want to accept some instructions on how to do it and survive with your shoulder still working the way God made it.

dvlmstr said:
DSC00367.jpg

Regards, Dave

To paraphrase Maxwell Smart, "It knocked me back that far!" :rotf:

Slamfire said:
dvlmstr said:
DSC00367.jpg

Regards, Dave

To paraphrase Maxwell Smart, "It knocked me back that far!" :rotf:

Sure would do a great job at keeping the mosquitoes away too... :grin:

Paul
No disrespect to your friend George but the rifle I fired in the photos only weighed 29lbs. The photo shows it in full recoil with a load of 500 gr of Goex 1F and a tightly patched round ball weighing about 1750 grains. The recoil did push you back but it was nowhere near as severe as the .300 Win Mag I fired using 180 and 200 grain bullets. It was a long way from dislocating your shoulder. Everyone of us in the photo fired it several times and you can see the two gentlemen in the center were far from heavy weights such as myself (kneeling) and the other guys on either end.

Regards, Dave

Hi Dave

Great pics :hatsoff:

You found the same as me then? A loose patch is gentle on the shoulder, a tight patch makes her buck a bit.

I think Paul is posting on this topic in the hope that we will talk him round to getting a wall gun. Well I say, stop worrying about your shoulder and follow your heart, you know you want one, there'll be no regrets, so just do it :thumbsup:

best regards

Squire Robin

For you handymen out there, the Rifle Shoppe sells a complete parts kit for a wall gun for just over a grand. It might even be possible to save up that much in the 2-3 years that it might take to get the parts.

Back