• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wall gunning again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WADR, Squire, I am not interested in a wall gun. I would fire it if offered the opportunity, just as I fired an 8 ga. shotgun with a 6 dram load and 4 oz of shot. I broke the clay target all to hell, but at about 15 yds. I believed then, and now, it was overkill. I don't shoot big guns to prove to others that my testerone levels are still in working order. There was a time in my life when I thought that was important, but I only compete with myself these days.

I don't begrudge anyone from having a wall gun. Everyone should have one, or at least shoot one once in their life. But, as I have told my friend with his 8 ga. shotgun, He doesn't have to beat himself up with the heavy loads practicing at our local trap and skeet range.

Little italian sports cars arent't practical. Neither are expensive exotic leather boots, $500,-bottles of wine, or those Hummel figurines. It comes down to whatever floats your boat. Without a person directly expressing his/her motives for a preference or action; I can only guess at their motives. What motivates a person to purchase a great big honking shoulder fired anti-aircraft gun is their prerogative and I'd be overstepping
to give explanation for their actions unless I'd been told. My two cents. :thumbsup:

NOw you have really taken this off track, John. I am one of the worst when it comes to buying things I don't need. That is what freedom is all about! I didn't say others should not by buying these Wall Guns. I hope they do! It will bring the price down, where mere mortals can afford them, and survive the criticism of their spouses for how they spent their money! I helped a friend build a Light 6 pound field piece, circa Revolutionary War, Because he always wanted to own a cannon. He bought his barrel from South Bend Replicas( 550 lbs. with a steel liner), and he and I built the carriage from oak lumber he bought green at a lumber yard. We also made the square headed nuts to go on all the bolts we also made, and made and formed the strapping that had to go over the tongue so that barrel could sit in lined grooves. Dale bought copies of the original plans for the cannon, and we made it to spec in every way possible. We learned a lot about metal working, and woodworking in the process, and I have an appreciation of cannons I would never have unless I helped build one. I got the dubious honor of being the cleaner and rammer on his cannon crew- the guy who swabs out the barrel after the shot is fired with a wet swab, dries the barrel, and then runs the next charge into the chamber. The original specs call for using one pound of powder under a six pound ball. Let me assure you that one pound of powder makes a lot of noise, and even a concussion wave! We cut it back by using floor to add mass to the charge, but reduced the amount of powder. We still got a nice roar, but that concussion wave was reduced to something that didn't break windows nearby!

So, when it comes to shooting big guns, I am very experienced, and would never discourage anyone from trying one of these hand cannons. When I was only 11 or so, I fired my first large caliber gun, an 1886 model, Springfield Trapdoor .45-70 shooting a 500 grain bullet in original semi-smokeless cartridges. That steel buttplate lets you know you fired a gun! You may be helped by reading my article on controlling heavy recoiling guns at[url] www.chuckhawks.com/controlling_heavy_recoil.htm.[/url]

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
paulvallandigham said:
I didn't say others should not by buying these Wall Guns. I hope they do! It will bring the price down, where mere mortals can afford them, and survive the criticism of their spouses for how they spent their money!

Hi Paul

I can see you're weakening :thumbsup:

Next time your wife wants to spend an unreasonable amount of money on something girly, you will be well on the way to your very own shoulder cannon :rotf:

The original cost me 2750 sterling, but before wifelet even had a chance to ask the price, someone had offerred me 3000 for it.

Nuff said

Squire Robin

Guess it came over harsher than I meant it to, but testosterone quips twice in one thread pops a little fuse in my noggin. I read your article. the link's broke but you can navigate from the main page. Isometrics huh? Sounds like just the thing when a buddy at the club shows up with his .458 again. I'll try it out. :thumbsup:

Squire Robin, have you tried any max effective single ball range tests on the wallgun? I used to shoot Quaker Oats cardboard containers filled with leaves and few handfulls of flour. You get a neat puff when you connect. Scale up the targets and don't forget the camera :grin:

JohnRNichols said:
Squire Robin, have you tried any max effective single ball range tests on the wallgun? I used to shoot Quaker Oats cardboard containers filled with leaves and few handfulls of flour. You get a neat puff when you connect. Scale up the targets and don't forget the camera :grin:

I'd like to see him shoot a Mini-Cooper with that thing myself... :grin:

minicooper.jpg

Wonder how many shots it would take to total the car? :haha:

shotup.jpg

Squire Robins wife's car from the last outing ... before the big bores fever
caught him! :applause: He claims the "devil made him do it"!
But you can bet hiz wife wuz none too pleased! :shocked2:

Davy

Musketman said:
I'd like to see him shoot a Mini-Cooper with that thing myself... :grin:

A slight legal problem there, the gun isn't licenced. I can lend it to someone with a shotgun certificate for up to 72 hours without need to register it. I can even lend it to myself infrequently, but I can't load ball unless it's on a Government approved range.

Of course it's not easy to tell what has been fired once the smoke is in the air, but 1" diameter holes through a mini could be fairly damning evidence :rotf:

CoyoteJoe said:
Great pics, but did you HIT any clays? I just came back from the range where I tried my .410 pistol on clays, broke about as many as I missed, and sure had FUN!

:blah: HE MISSED ME! :blah:

cp.gif

If you can "lend" a gun to yourself and not register it, why would anyone ever register any gun?

Do you need separate liscense for shotgun and rifle? What about pistols?

If it was registered, could you then legally shoot round ball anywhere? Or would you still have to go to a gov. approved range?

Do these rules apply to all rifles/guns or just big honkin' ones?

Just curious. Sounds like English government is even goofier than US... :youcrazy:

jethro224 said:
Do you need separate liscense for shotgun and rifle? What about pistols?

Last time I got visited he asked, "Why do we let you have so many guns on certificate?" I replied, "Because if you make it hard for me I'll take them off certificate, out of the gun safes and hang them on the wall" :blah: :rotf:

Jess said:
Do they actually come to your house and check your guns?

One thing to keep in mind is that Squire Robin is not subjected to American gun laws, this may seem restricting to us here in the United States, but he must abide by the laws of England...

If the police came to my door wanting to see my guns I would be suspicious as hell, probably 'phone the station to make sure they were genuine before they came in. They are supposed to call first, explain their reasons and make an appointment. The caller will be a civilian employed by the police, no uniforms :thumbsup:

Everyone needs a wall gun :grin: :v As far as the price goes though, after two I need to raise my prices! :haha:

Back