• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Want to make leather gun case

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmayers

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wanting to make, or have made for me, a leather gun case from my tanned deer hides (hair off) for an English Fowler. Have some questions... Anyone see problem with using deer leather? Where can I find a pattern and instructions? And as a backup plan for my "craftsman challenged" abilities, is there a place I can send tanned leather to have made for me?

As you can see I am a newbie to this forum but have quickly discovered it is a great place full of great folks with lots of knowledge. :bow:

Depends on the style of the case you want for the gun. Suitcase stye? Sock, or "sleeve" style? Check the LINKS section on this forum that will give you both the names and links to the suppliers. Several places sell leather sheaths, or sleeves for guns. The rectangular suitcase style cases are another matter.

If you can define better what it is you are wanting to make, we can be of more help. :surrender: :thumbsup:

I can't think of any reason not to use deerskins, other than the fact that they are usually pretty thin, compared to elk, or cowhide. The thinner skin is more prone to tearing, and give less protection to the gun inside. :hmm: The way to deal with the latter issue is to sew in a thick fabric liner, but that may not be what you want, either.

I've made pouches from deer, and they're awfully soft and stretchy, basically losing shape with any load. The easy solution is to glue a lining material to the back of the leather before assembly. I've used all sorts of cotton fabrics, but more often than not pillow ticking since I also have it around for shooting patches.

The best reference I've found for building is "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch" by TC Albert. I don't know if I'd call any of the patterns in there "fowler" bags, but the techniques he teaches are certainly the foundation for you to build any style you like.

Thanks Paul. I am wanting something simple to slip over the gun, no zippers, so I guess it would be a sleeve or sock, not sure of the difference. I like Brown Bears' idea of firming up the soft leather with some fabric material. Now I need to research a pattern and determine if I want to make myself. Would be a fun project and satisfying knowing the finished product was made from deer I harvested.

I was kind of on autopilot CLB, when I wrote about shooting bags.

Let me get more specific (or more accurate :grin: ) and talk about gun cases. I'm meaning gun cases intended to protect a gun going to and from the field rather than for use in the field.

I have made several from very soft elk (basically a thicker version of your deer), and overall didn't find the soft leather to be a problem except on one account- The danged sharp sights hang up real bad when you're withdrawing the gun. It's more a jerk, twist, flop and cuss than a "slip-on." If I had more gumption I'd dismantle the cases and resew them with ticking liners specifically because of the sights. More likely I'll add a liner to the next one I make.

As for patterns, I have some of these lying around and just lay them on the leather and mark. They're actually cheaper than any paper pattern you can buy, and highly functional whether or not you get around to making a leather version.

You might go back in the archives and look for a couple of threads started by Roundball about slip on cases he uses as "weather covers" for his guns for field use. They're slick as snot and work well in slip-on/off mode. Better yet, drop him a private message and ask if he can provide a link to those threads. He's been at the game a loooooong time and is loooooong on practical experience in places that count. :hatsoff:

Just to give an idea here's one Miss Tudy made from a deer hide about a year ago for an 1874 Sharps...
100_1287.jpg

Flap over with a tie thong

Personally. Leather sleeves and gun bags might look good in the movies and such, but the nature of the leather hide naturally attract moisture. Leather can't breath enough like cloth and other woven materials can! I really messed-up one of my Trade Guns years ago from storing it in a beaded Sioux type gun sleeve. The pre-oiling of the gun before storing didn't help a bit! I have even gotten some surface rusting on modern guns using modern foam and leather gun case's! Now I like the saddle blanket type gun case's and plain cotton canvas with no problems!

To each their own, but just wanted to add my experience with them leather gun case's!

Rick

horner75 said:
Personally. Leather sleeves and gun bags might look good in the movies and such, but the nature of the leather hide naturally attract moisture. Leather can't breath enough like cloth and other woven materials can! I really messed-up one of my Trade Guns years ago from storing it in a beaded Sioux type gun sleeve. The pre-oiling of the gun before storing didn't help a bit! I have even gotten some surface rusting on modern guns using modern foam and leather gun case's! Now I like the saddle blanket type gun case's and plain cotton canvas with no problems!

To each their own, but just wanted to add my experience with them leather gun case's!

Rick
With that being said, no kind of weapon should be stored in leather. I've had a couple of knives rust on me as well on account of not being able to breathe. It was only surface rust, but it was still rust. Good point though Rick (and they do look good in the the movies :wink: )...Bud

I was wondering about leather holding moisture, so thanks for the confirmation. To clarify my purpose is just for sort term storage of a fowler, transport in vehicle and storage at camp.

That link to TOW really helped Brown Bear. I would have thought that style would be a sleeve not a case. Thanks for the help.

Clique LeBoom said:
That link to TOW really helped Brown Bear. I would have thought that style would be a sleeve not a case. Thanks for the help.

I think we're down to terms CLB. I'm calling it a "case" but "sleeve" is probably more accurate. It's heavy canvas open at one end with a flap that folds over and ties, but no zipper or anything. I'm really fond of the TOW version and have used them for years as you describe- for transport and in camp. The leather version I make is a lot fancier, but those hanging sights.... Egad. :(

A sleeve is fairly easy to make, and I also recommend lining such a sleeve with some tightly woven fabric. as to water proofing, there are modern silicon sprays and boot sealers that can be put on your deer skin to prevent moisture from soaking into the leather. I don't store my guns in a damp place, so I have never had a problem with moisture in my leather gun sleeves. Storing guns in any kind of container in damp locations is going to cause rusting problems IMHO. My rifle has an Elkskin 'sleeve" I bought at Friendship because at the time, it was the only such sleeve long enough to encase my rifle. It cost far more than the sleeves being sold by Track.

If I were looking to make another sleeve, but wanted to use my deerskins on it, I would buy a sleeve from TRACK, and then sew the leather on top of it. The leather would protect the fabric sleeve, while the fabric protects the gun. The existing sleeve becomes the "pattern" for the additional sewing you need to do with the deerskin.

paulvallandigham said:
If I were looking to make another sleeve, but wanted to use my deerskins on it, I would buy a sleeve from TRACK, and then sew the leather on top of it. The leather would protect the fabric sleeve, while the fabric protects the gun. The existing sleeve becomes the "pattern" for the additional sewing you need to do with the deerskin.

What an excellent idea Paul, thanks.

Back