• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Warning! Save Your $$$

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just received the book SHOOTING SIXGUNS OF THE OLD WEST by Mike Venturino. I shelled out $30 to Amazon and they delivered promptly.

I expected most of this book to be dedicated to the metallic cartridge guns so popular in CAS. But there are a couple of early Colts on the cover, namely a '51 Navy and a'60 Army (I think. there's a funky exposed rod totally unfamiliar to me on the gun)). And I believe CAS does require some cap 'n ball shooting in their events, if I'm not mistaken

Anyway, out of 219 pages would you care to guess how much is to do with shooting cap 'n ball? If you guessed 1 1/2 pages you would be correct.

This is the part where he gives a nod to the "Old West Shootists" like Wild Bill and JW Hardin.

So unless you're keen to convert your cap 'n ball revolvers to cartridge I suggest saving your dough.

I warn you abaout this not out of bitterness but rather as a tip to all you folks who have helped me get my feet wet with this, to me, new form of blackpowder enjoyment. I'm just chalking this up to being one of those unavoidable mistakes that is part of the newbie process.

OK then, gotta run, I want to read up on how I can make these weird pistols I just bought shoot without spilling powder and jamming my fingers trying to make caps stick.

I would expect most of this book to be about cartridge guns. I'm familiar with Mike's work and don't ever remember seeing much about percussion pistols. For the record, every single sixgun on the cover is a cartridge gun. The two 1860's are both cartridge conversions. Along with a Colt Lightning DA and two S&W single actions. I don't have it but it's on my wishlist.

For books on percussion guns, I'd suggest Mike Cumpston's work.

I have a couple of decent books on black powder:
1 - Colt Single Action From Patersons to Peacemakers- By Dennis Adler. Alot of pictures and info.
2- Civil War Weapons-by Graham Smith. This book covers everything from swords, cannons, pistols, long guns. Some very obscure weapons are in this
3-Guns of the American West-By Dennis Adler. Mostly cartridge guns, but in the beginning BP guns, and conversions.
I bought these at Barnes & Noble over the years in thier Bargain bin. I think the most expensive one was $12.98

Marc: can't really think of that many books dealing with shooting cap and ball, percussion, revolvers. Your best bet is just to keep ask questions on this forum.

Thanks guys - Want to hear something funny? I got a book titled GUNS OF THE AMERICAN WEST and the author is Joseph G. Rosa

I bought this book over 20 years ago when my main interest in western guns was the Colt SAA.

Anyway, it was under a pile of books in the far corner of my library, I'd forgotten all about it! I discovered it almost completely by accident just 10 minutes ago, moving some books around to make room for others.

The great thing about it is that it's loaded with cap 'n ball information and history. There's no modern advice or tips, but the sheer amount of Blackpowder material looks it to be a great read.

I think I "shelved" the book all those years ago because there wasn't enough info about the SAA!

You got the wrong book by Mike ,should have gotShooting Colt Single Actions in all styles etc

phill, message must have been scrambled, I have no current interest in SAA's at all, that was long ago and I haven't had any in 10 years or so.

I'm going all BP, baby!

(yes, I know things like BP metallic cartridges exist, please everyone, don't jump in here with such "info")

nmdd - A big THANKS for this tip! I went directly to Amazon, read a bunch of reviews and realized for 13 bucks this is the book I was looking for. It's ordered.

Thanks, just placed the order and added some MTM cast bullet boxes to get free shipping.

nmdd - :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

A big THANKS! What a great book!

I got the book for xmas from my wife....she definitely did some research... :thumbsup:

I just purchased on Ebay a book called "Confederate Arms" by William A. Albaugh III, and Edward N. Simmons Originally published in 1957, mine is second printing from 1993. you can find this book out there for 40 bucks on up. Pictures and descriptions from all originals of handguns, long guns, blades, armories, and cooters. Great book.

I always check Track of the Wolf before buying a book. If they have it they usually give a summation of chapter titles the books.
I look at Venturino's pistol book as I have his other 2 similar books, but passed as there was no cap and ball revolver chapters.

Marc Adamchek said:
I just received the book SHOOTING SIXGUNS OF THE OLD WEST by Mike Venturino. I shelled out $30 to Amazon and they delivered promptly.

I expected most of this book to be dedicated to the metallic cartridge guns so popular in CAS. But there are a couple of early Colts on the cover, namely a '51 Navy and a'60 Army (I think. there's a funky exposed rod totally unfamiliar to me on the gun)). And I believe CAS does require some cap 'n ball shooting in their events, if I'm not mistaken

Anyway, out of 219 pages would you care to guess how much is to do with shooting cap 'n ball? If you guessed 1 1/2 pages you would be correct.

This is the part where he gives a nod to the "Old West Shootists" like Wild Bill and JW Hardin.

So unless you're keen to convert your cap 'n ball revolvers to cartridge I suggest saving your dough.

I warn you abaout this not out of bitterness but rather as a tip to all you folks who have helped me get my feet wet with this, to me, new form of blackpowder enjoyment. I'm just chalking this up to being one of those unavoidable mistakes that is part of the newbie process.

OK then, gotta run, I want to read up on how I can make these weird pistols I just bought shoot without spilling powder and jamming my fingers trying to make caps stick.

Marc, there is no requirement in CAS for black powder shooting. If memory serves, I believe the class for cap & ball revolvers was called the plainsman and they also had to use black powder cartridges in their rifles & shotguns. The life of a CAS revolver is a rough one an most cap & ball revolvers are simply not built to withstand the rigors of it, so they weren't that popular. I did CAS for a couple of years and grew disenchanted with it. It has turned into an arms race with short-stroke kits on rifles, highly tuned & gunsmithed revolvers along with low recoil squib loads (usually in a modern caliber such as .38 spec.) than I believe what the sport was intended to be. Went quickly back to my flintlocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back