• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wash-n-Dry Pillow Ticking?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy 100% cotton flannel for cleaning patches (about 1.89/yd). Finally got tired of using scissors and bought a rotary cutter and cuttin' board.

That's what i use for cleanig also, and my wife is a seamstress, so she already had the rotory cutters and cutting board.

I agree with Merdean that it is the sizing that makes it stiff and it really needs to be removed before using it to patch balls or clean with. Being the lazy bum I am I generally just throw it in the washing machine with my blue jeans and then hang it to dry. This works for me. jack

Its great to have a wife that sews.Mine belongs to a quilting guild at Church and they get all kinds of donated material she sifts out the pillow ticking,which they don't use and gives it to me I have enough to last forever.

It is a razor sharp wheel in a handle used to cut fabric. If you go to JoAnns or another fabric store and ask for one, they will know what you mean. You need a cutting mat to cut on to go with it. Makes cutting patches a lot easier since you can cut 6-8 layers at a time.

I'm not allowed to use my wife's rotary cutter so I bought my own. I got the kind that runs in a track with the fabric under the measurement board. :front:

Got mine at of all places Walmart! The one I picked up is made by Fiskars and came as a kit with a cutting mat and ruler. :front:
Lehigh..

There are several of them available at Walmart. A ? 30-40 mm cutter alone, or same thing that has the cutter made onto the board, and this does well but only handles about 3 layers at a time of heavy ticking or doesn't cut consistantly & really aggravated me. It is convenient having it all on one board, but I wanted to cut more layers of material at a time, so I returned it.

Then I got this 60mm cutter & the largest cutting mat & largest guide ruler & man, you can really go to town with this sucker. Mine is a Dritz and it has a locking guard over the blade & I like that. I can cut 8 layers of .018 pillow ticking at a time, thus cut over 10,000 one inch patches in less than 10 minutes. ::

CAUTION: Keep in mind this is a rotary razor blade & this sucker will cut you to the bone in a nanu-second......... They are very well known to remove fingertips.

And if a child picks up this cutter by the blade, just picking it up will cut them, so BE SURE you have no kids around & I suggest you don't have Anyone around or any distractions when using this cutter............ :shake:

:results:

I don't remember....... You can check it out at Walmart. Probably have ? $60. in it all together maybe ? If you have a couple of buddies close, the thing to do is go in 2-3-4 ways on one & that way you don't have much in it.

I bought this stuff & in a hour of cutting, I will not need it for 2-3 years ....... So 2-6 people can greatly benefit from one set up.

:results:

I wash mine several times to remove sizing and to pre shrink and soften it. Either cut it with a rotary cutter in square patches or into strips to use with patch knife (more accurate for me).

Holy Cow! Washed the ticking without soap, lined dried, now it mikes out around .024! :shocking: Mebbe I'll wash it again?

Dang....... keep washing it & you can shoot .36 cal balls in that .54 ! ha ha ! :crackup:

Birddog,
Now you got me to thinking...Maybe I can use my .54 on squirrels...all I have to do is keep washing my patches!!! When the patches swell up to .095, I will be ready :crackup: :blah: .54-.35=.19/2=.095 Think it will work???? :rolleyes: :shake: :nono:

Dang....... keep washing it & you can shoot .36 cal balls in that .54 ! ha ha ! :crackup:

Well this was some extra stiff 'ticking! First time I washed without soap and it came out stiff but thicker :shocking: :shake: So I washed it AGAIN using my scent-free huntin' soap and this time its a little softer and more like .0021. Think it will work. Next time I'll use the soap on the first wash.

Roundball
but there's still nothing like seeing the face on the Wally-mart employee when your over at the material rack with the micrometer :youcrazy: and then she asks what are you doing and you tell here this is for patch roundballs :huh: :sorry: :youcrazy:

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I know exactly what you mean!

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

:front:

Back