• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Washing Patch Material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As many of you folks read here on the MLF pillow ticking bought by the yard at a cloth store not only works very well for patches but it is really low cost if your willing to make your own.

All store bought material has "sizing" in it when it is new.
This sizing is a starch that makes the material lay flat and fold easily. This makes it easy to cut out patterns and sew but it does tend to keep patch lubes from soaking into the material and it may leave some of the sizing in the bore when the gun is fired so many feel the sizing should be washed out before the patches are cut.

Some have observed that washing out the sizing changes the thickness of the material so I thought I would look into this.

Using some blue and white striped pillow ticking from WalMart I did some measuring and washing.

The measuring was done with a RCBS Dial caliper and a number of measurements were taken to get the average thickness.

Two different methods were used to find the thickness of the material.
One method was to use the fairly large flat surfaces between the jaws to grasp the material which spreads out the area being measured and doesn't crush the fabric. I will call this the "large area" in my results.

The other method was to use just the thin relatively sharp areas of the jaws which tends to crush the material, rather like what happens when the patch is placed between the roundball and the bore of a gun. I will call this the "small area" in my results.

The washing was done with some other cloths so it included some fabric softener that might have had a small effect on the readings.

The thickness I read for the new fabric with sizing in it was .017 (small area) and .022 (large area).

After washing and drying the fabric the thickness I read was .017 (small area) and .025 (large area).

This washed material didn't really want to lay flat and it was somewhat wrinkled having been dried in a cloths dryer.
To smooth it out I decided to iron it and then measure it to see if this had an effect on the materials thickness.

The ironing was done at a "cotton" setting and the material was lightly sprinkled with water to create the steam ironing works best with.
I used a piece of plywood to support the material because "She who must be obeyed" doesn't like me using "her stuff".
The iron I used is mine and I bought it at a thrift store for about $2.00 some years ago.

After ironing I read the following values for the materials thickness.
.015 (small area)
.022 (large area).

Ironing the material not only made it nice and flat and easy to fold but it seemed to make its thickness more consistent.

Where the pre washed and post washed readings varied as much as +/- .002 there was very little variation in the readings after ironing it.

So, is all of this information valuable? I don't know that it is but I thought you folks might find it interesting. :grin:

As an after thought you might want to keep your eyes open for an old used iron at a thrift shop.
Not only can you iron your patch material without using "HER" iron but an iron used with a small wet piece of material can raise small dents in a gunstock making them totally disappear. :)

Zonie, that's pretty much how things measured out for me too. I did find that if it were washed and dryed two times that it was even thicker, but I don't think it made much difference in it's crushed thickness.

So, is all of this information valuable? I don't know that it is but I thought you folks might find it interesting

Dang right it's valuable! :thumbsup:

As an after thought you might want to keep your eyes open for an old used iron at a thrift shop.
Not only can you iron your patch material without using "HER" iron but an iron used with a small wet piece of material can raise small dents in a gunstock making them totally disappear.

Hah! Not going to happen. :) Got no intention of ironing my patch material. :haha: And, I kinda like those dents.

Hi Zonie,

I iron mine too.

As far as I can tell, my measurements agree with yours. The difference is that washing out the sizing will allow more lube to be absorbed. I like that.

Josh

It's funny you should mention the fabric becoming thinner after ironing. It doesn't really become thinner, it is just becomming recompressed. After washing and removing the sizing (fabric is sized to make it compressed for added shelf storage, and it also looks nicer to the eye), it is returning to its natural state. Actually the same result (recompression) happens upon loading the ball/patch into the barrel, it just is not realised. In other words, it will be the same final thickness, ironed or not. I have never mentioned it before, but I always iron my patching after washing.

I don't iron my patching but I have ironed dents out of a stock, It works great if the wood is only dented....................watch yer top knot.................

I iron all my patches for shooting and cleaning it makes them a little easier to cut with a rotary cutter.

The only real problem with ironing your patch material that I can see is once your "significant other" finds out that you can iron she will expect you to do ALL of the ironing including hers. :rotf:

:redface: I had to buy the iron and board. To late for me I hope that others can learn from my mistake.

she will expect you to do ALL of the ironing including hers

Right up until the first burnt blouse. :redface:

The trick is to be fortunate enough that it just so happens to be your least favorite... :haha:

Thank you for noteing the use of caliper instead of a micrometer.
And you covered it well when useing a large area and small with the fine blade section.
I follow brother Dutch and in his papers he uses a micrometer which of course has a different surface area than the caliper.
When useing a mic, I've never found there to be a differance in the "crushed" measuremet of before and after washing.
This seems to come under contention from time to time where guy's find the material has gotten thicker after washing, and yes the stuff has relaxed, but it's the crushed measurement that I'm after.
When I go to the fabric shop, it's the mic in my pocket,, not the caliper.

Thank you for doing this. For me you explained why when I measured I get the thicker measurement but a lot of folks on here seem to get the thinner.

I measure the material as you did for the thicker measurement.

thanks again.

Latest posts

Back