• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Waterproofing Possibles Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashtar13

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a leather possibles bag I want to use for hunting. I won't be out in a monsoon, but a little protection might be good. Their is none on it now, and I don't want to change the color of it. Any ideas?

i dont know how to water proof it but you could use febberings dye but if you drop it under water it will get soaked but mine does well most of the time when im going through water or at water falls it gets wet outside but not inside. :m2c:

I wipe all my leather goods with Montana Pitch Blend leather dressing.

4ozcapoff5.jpg

http://www.montanapitchblend.com/

Doesn't make them waterproof, but it helps repel the "casual" stuff. I wear my hunting pouch inside my outer layer when it's raining or snowing hard.

I used camp dry silicone spray. It darkens the laether though so you might not like it. It didn't darken mine too much.

Huntin

I just picked up a leather possibles bag I want to use for hunting. I won't be out in a monsoon, but a little protection might be good. Their is none on it now, and I don't want to change the color of it. Any ideas?

Haven't used it on my shooting/hunting bags yet, :hmm: but now that you mention it...Pecard's leather dressing "since 1902" was recommended to my dad for his antique Civil War leather bag by the curator of a musuem who said he was tired of seeing antique leather "turn to dust". I know it keeps my 1968 Gokey snake boots in like-new condition. Darkened them slightly. :results:

You may want to try snowseal - caution though as it may darken the leather to some degree ... its your call.
I have done this on my haversack - rub it on and use a blow dryer to get it to soak it. It helps for sure :results:

Snow Seal is my favorite too. Personally, I like the dark look it gives leather.

I use bear fat on all my leather :winking:, It will turn it darker but I don't care, the Indians would smoke their leather to make it water resistant and I have done this too and it does work but you have to smoke it for days. ::

TheGunCellar

I use mink oil on my boots. They probably get scuffed around more than a bag will, and they stay sealed for a good while.
Jim

FWIW, "Mink Oil" is a euphemistic name for liquefied pig fat and silicone. There has been a lot of debate in the "leather world" about this stuff. Some say that it can make chrome-tanned leather too soft; some go so far to say it can cause the leather to deteriorate. (Depending on how often you go through a pair of boots, you may never know!)

I've never tried it, but TOTW sells real Mink Oil tallow rendered from mink fat as a patch lube. This might be better.

Personally, since I read some of the controversy with Mink Oil, I've switched to Sno-Seal (which is beeswax based) or the same beeswax/bear grease mixture that I use for patch lube as a leather conditioner.

:m2c:... and, as always... :results:

I make my own with beeswax and 100pc.Neetfoot oil.about 3 to 1 to start. Heat with hair dryer rub in,water proof.

I'm another Sno Seal user. There is no ingredient mentioned other than the bees wax but there is some kind of oil in it for softening. Maybe I don't want to know what kind. I can't stand the smell of neatsfoot. Sno Seal works great on leather boots, but really darkens the leather. I like the color so don't have any qualms about meltin' in all the leather will hold. :front:

I can't stand the smell of neatsfoot.

I thought this was interesting...

From Summit Industries' (Lexol) website:

"Neat is an archaic name for hooved animals (i.e. cows, pigs, sheep). Neatsfoot oil is oil rendered from the feet of cattle or hooved animals. In the slaughterhouse, the feet would be cut off the animal, split, put into a large vat and boiled. The oils that rose to the top would be skimmed off and sold as "Neatsfoot Oil." Today, thanks to the US military, there is no actual Neatsfoot oil in Neatsfoot Oil! Let me explain. Back in the 1930's the US Army wrote a Military Specification (Mil Spec) that defined the properties of Neatsfoot Oil. Oil merchants bidding for government contracts quickly discovered other, less expensive, oils would meet this Mil Spec. Today, Neatsfoot Oil is any oil, regardless of where it comes from, that meets this US Government Mil Spec. Neatsfoot Oil now is mostly derived from pigs. Lard is pressed and the resulting liquid, which can be supplemented with mineral oil and/or reclaimed motor oil, is sold as "Neatsfoot Oil". Neatsfoot oil is widely used in the equestrian industry (saddles and tack) but has a tendency to be quite greasy making it unsuitable for leather upholstery."

I have used butcher's wax to waterproof leather. The product i get from Home Depot is carnuba based. I found that heating the leather in the sun or in an oven @ 200 degrees allows the wax to soak in and penetrate well.

What ever you use put it on thick and then hit it with a hair dryer, it will soak right in, and your wife will not hit you up side the head for having your boots in the oven.
:crackup:

TheGunCellar

Ah, the trick is to wait for the wife to leave for work first. This applies to putting the boots in the oven, bringing new guns home, etc. :crackup:

I would use Mink Oil on it. Don't know what it is made of but I know it works. I have some called "Original Mink Oil" made in Oregon. I have a pair of hunting boots that I bought in 1974 and I hunt in them every years & they stull are in good shape. I warm them in front of the fireplace or wood stove & then put the mink on on them liberally & then set them back there & it soaks it up. Also have warmed the boots with a hair dryer & then applied the mink oil. If I am out for a long outing I keep a can of Camp Dry Silicone spray & hit them with it now & then of bird hunting but not for deer hunting as it smells too strong.

:results:

The stuff my Dad had, was old when I was young, he said it came from sheep. I don't know how he knew that, there were no sheep around our area at the time. When I was in High School a nearby neighbor had a small flock, They smelled pretty strongly too. :shake:

Back