• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Waxed or Oiled

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a finished, browned, TC Hawken barrel. I am about to complete the rifle, after I do a couple more fiddly details. I have rdad that some have gotten excellent service from waving their barrels with a good quality paste wax.
I have always oiled my barrels, but am curious if any of you have used waxing on your barrels.

It is a good way to complete the browning job. Kinda seals the rust brown. After that lightly oil the barrel after cleaning like you normally would.

I use a browning box , so had to find a way to stop the rust quickly. The box causes the barrel to completely brown w/in 24 hrs.. But the rusting process is in overdrive. How to stop it??? So ,tried everything and after the final wash and dry , came up w/using boiled linseed oil stock finish w/ a little japan dryer mixed in. The stuff clings and goes on thick , and stops the rusting in it's tracks. After that drys , a coat or two of Minwax Special Dark furniture wax. Good buff down and voilia finito......
One note about wax...Using dark colored wax is best for me as regular wax on a hot day can ooze out of my crappy inletting , and patch box hinges leaving cream colored goo on my stock. Dark wax doesn't do that , just looks like natural dirt. ........ oldwood

I wax the barrel channels and wax polish the stock with caranuba wax on a buff. For the metal I don’t wax metal parts. I use a Brown Box with a can of damp-RX in the box to help with the browning process.

All done, the barrel turned out very nicely. Thank you all for the info!

Attachments

• 0742AB2C-050C-4574-9057-63F4A12EC8BD.jpeg
    0742AB2C-050C-4574-9057-63F4A12EC8BD.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 78
Back