• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WD-40 in revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I have found when using WD40 on guns is that it seems to take the bluing off.
I haul all my tools in a service truck and rust is my worst enemy, I find WD40 is a good cleaner but doesn't seem to prevent rust..

To throw in my 50 cents I can say that I´m very happy with WD 40.
I use it on my three handguns (Rogers & Spencer Revolver, LePage Percussion and Flintlock Pistols).
I take good care of them, which means I take them apart very often to clean them thoroughly. Hence, WD 40 doesn´t get much chance to "gum up" in my guns.

The Rogers & Spencer is taken apart every third or fourth time at the range, which is about every 100 shots. Between disassembleys I spray WD 40 down the hammer into the mechanism to prevent rust. The parts of my Feinwerkbau R & S are so well made that they don´t rust either.

After cleaning with soap and water and blow drying I spray all parts well with WD 40 and assemble. It comforts me to know that WD 40 will clear out all humidity and will lube well.

I could use german made Ballistol, too, but it is twice as expensive as good american made WD 40 here in Germany.

Ballistol is mostly mineral oil. Read the label. Honest. You can buy mineral oil very cheap, here. You can use mineral oil to help preserve the gun finish, to lube patches, to clean the bore and chambers, etc. I have used WD40 but found that once it dried, it congealed into a pretty tough grease. That will dissolve easily with another squirt or spray of WD40, so its not a long term cleaning problem. I use soap and water to clean the BP revolvers, and then give them a good oil. Because I have a spray can of Remoil on hand, I tend to use that, rather than my WD40, which I save in the shot to use on tools. I am going to buy some mineral oil to use as a patch lube to see how that works out in various temperature ranges, and I expect it will become my dominant protective coating in the future. I am also using Young Country Lube 1000, or what is now marketed as Wonderlube, to protect my long guns. The guns are stored inside the house, in a cool closet, but without a lot of humidity issues through the year. Rust has not been a problem.

Wheck your grocery store. Also, read the ingredients on " Baby oil".Someone told me that baby oil is also mineral oil, only a little finer. Mineral can be bought in larger quantities at hardware and some paint stores. Check the discount places, like Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Farm and Fleet, etc. If you don't know where to look, always ask a clerk or manager. They know their inventory very well.

For many years now I have been in search of the perfect revolver lube.Early on I used wd-40 but due to the gumming issues I havent used it in years.I like RemOil aswell as Breakfree CLP.I like olive oil.So I cannot offer a definitive opinion on what one should use but I will advise you to avoid WD-40,Best Regards,J.A.

Don said:
A while back there was a long thread on cleaning cap and ball revolvers. A few of you guys would put your guns, minus the grips, into the dishwasher, heat dry and then spray the guts with WD-40 before reassembling. My question is, will the WD get tacky and gum up the works in the revolver? I know the use of petrolium based lubricants is discouraged because of its tendency to get sticky and cause problems, will WD do the same thing? The reason I ask is because I recently bought one of those hand held steam cleaners and I was thinking it might be a good way to clean the inside of a revolver without having to completely disassemble the gun. But I'm not sure if using a blow drier and spraying with WD-40 will prevent rust without causing other problems.

Thanks

Don

Nix on the steam cleaner. Unless you can completely disassemble the revolver and make sure everything is good and dry (the blow dryer will not get the job done) you will get major rusting.
WD-40 works well for a cleaning agent but has no duration for a lasting lube. Use it for cleaning only then re-lube with a good gun oil.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

A while back, in an early issue of "Gun Tests" magazine, they tested various lubes. WD-40 and RemOil were poor at preventing rust. I don't use Breakfree CLP in my BP bores as I feel it (silicon) may coat the bore unevenly and affect accuracy. That may be false, but I feel it's better to be safe.
I still have the "Gun Tests" testing if anyone is interested in getting a copy.

Back