• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Weird eBay flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my RE-WORKED Belgium lock. A different top screw (from TRS) to give it a better look, frizzen hardening, slight mainspring reduction, and if you look closely, a second notch cut in the tumbler for a safety. Should have had the lock polished out more - much more. LOL Oh well. But it functions much better.

For you guys that decide to make a gun using these locks, might be a good idea to purchase a second lock (if the price is reasonable) for spare parts.

Rick

View attachment 333068View attachment 333070View attachment 333071View attachment 333072View attachment 333073View attachment 333074
much obliged for the great pics of the rewoked tumbler! Have file will travel!

here are some examples of a more refined Portuguese lock…

Attachments

• IMG_2738.jpeg
    IMG_2738.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2740.jpeg
    IMG_2740.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Here is my RE-WORKED Belgium lock. A different top screw (from TRS) to give it a better look, frizzen hardening, slight mainspring reduction, and if you look closely, a second notch cut in the tumbler for a safety. Should have had the lock polished out more - much more. LOL Oh well. But it functions much better.

For you guys that decide to make a gun using these locks, might be a good idea to purchase a second lock (if the price is reasonable) for spare parts.

Rick

View attachment 333068View attachment 333070View attachment 333071View attachment 333072View attachment 333073View attachment 333074
Yes better but perhaps missing the main point .My lock has three holes for the side nails & pre hardened viii type file marks seemingly fitted to a gun .I had mused to make one up their stocking is quite distinctive, loosely Madrid in style,
All good Stuff Ile have to dig out the Nigerian Dane gun . always wondered if some PCV along that Equatorial West coast took one home to the US as a souvenir it would be about the only way one could get there . I have Very high regard for Peace Corps, VSO & Cuso ,Volunteers that helped me wondering along that unhealthy coast .Recently by chance I linked up to a UK V .S. O. who was teaching just north of Mopti on the Niger river in Mali like other Ex Pats he declared he had toyed with the muse to visit his old base but today its very troubled by Terrorists & Strife we never knew . So dismissed the notion .I did get tangled up by Surette & idiot police . Ex pats had companies or Church stuff reasons to be there but they didn't wander along hitch hikeing so Naturally I MUST be a spy . What a 20 year old had to spy on didn't seem to occur to them .( The' boys in the bush 'where fine as rural folk tend to be .)I got a sort of bush Telegraph as' Johny Walker 'Once Stopped a whole village football match in the Ivory Coast as the whole assembly came to visit me as I wandered past, However I digress
.Regards Rudyard

Rick

So to remove the cock to file in a half cock notch and just generally clean it up so you drive that pin or whatever it is through the tumbler arm from front to back? It would appear that’s the way to go. I imagine I will use my wooden jig for driving the tumbler off the cock with a punch. I’ve had to do that before. I shoud then be able to get the bearing surfaces cleaned up and smoothed. Not going to make it pretty as I now have a project in mind for this. On the right springs - the more I work this action it’s getting easier to work so may not have to do much to get it smoother other than work the springs (this is unused and prob not fool around e annealing.

IMG_4725.jpeg
IMG_4726.jpeg
IMG_4727.jpeg

Hi Philip

I myself did not do the work on my lock. But the guy who did explained it to me. Driving that pin out and the rest of the lock will easily dis-assemble. As I recall, the tumbler and shaft are one piece. So the tumbler/shaft and hammer are all held together with that single pin. The original Portuguese locks are built the same. You might remove the mainspring to allow the hammer to move freely to give you more room to work (?)
As I recall, Forum member Sam squanch (above) used one of these locks to make a pistol. He might also provide some hints.
Yes, your lock is likely never been used. Most of these locks you encounter today were from that original Dixie Gun Works inventory back in the 1960's and 70's. Notice no holes were drilled in the lock plates - which in our case was good. LOL

Rick

Hi Philip

I myself did not do the work on my lock. But the guy who did explained it to me. Driving that pin out and the rest of the lock will easily dis-assemble. As I recall, the tumbler and shaft are one piece. So the tumbler/shaft and hammer are all held together with that single pin. The original Portuguese locks are built the same. You might remove the mainspring to allow the hammer to move freely to give you more room to work (?)
As I recall, Forum member Sam squanch (above) used one of these locks to make a pistol. He might also provide some hints.
Yes, your lock is likely never been used. Most of these locks you encounter today were from that original Dixie Gun Works inventory back in the 1960's and 70's. Notice no holes were drilled in the lock plates - which in our case was good. LOL

Rick
I have a pistol stock with an Ed Rayl 40cal smooth bore barrel. Don't know of this is the lock for that project though.

Yes Sam had it years" rough as bags " but they worked & thusly are interesting in their way . I bet these knockers never aspired to make a Nigerian ' Dane gun' alt names 'Foo Foo' gun or Country gun ' . I got a flint lock made by a village blacksmith in Ikorudu Federal Nigeria .So coming across a length of galvenised water pipe, seemed of course, I wedded it to make a' Dane gun'; After; one Jimmo Babatundi a Yoroba tribesman. I fine bored it a bit proofed down a rabbit hole Rabbits objected naturally .Light years from A Kibler 'paint by numbers' but no accounting for taste . The gunmakers of the world then & now are /where people like us who catered for the market demands of their regions . I at least think of them that way 'Rudyard
1720755440294.png

1720755411623.png

1720755386077.png

1720755357631.png

Two pics top being the' Weird' / Lazzarino lock & two below are Nigerian Dane gun the small bags being filled amulet's with magic stuff to ward of evil spirits . Plus a British West Africa half penny ( Debil Debils & Togalossis ect being trouble some for shooters , the cheaper guns needed more of course )The shiny barrel band is from a sugar sifter it has ONE CUP impressed on it & another half way up says' 2 CUPS' . Ile tell you this is to gauge the amount of powder & wadding to secure the ball or 6' nail the lesser charge for Duiker or ' Bush Deer 'the other an Elephant load ( Don't laugh too hard while I was there a hunter had been fined for shooting an Elephant up north in the Fulani region with a 6" nail )whether he was successful I cant recall l but I never loaded it so fully .
.Rudyard

Slightly stretching the elastic.

For comparison, here are two original Portuguese locks. Note the lock on the top has the functional external safety catch in front of the hammer and only one full-cock notch on the tumbler. The lock on the bottom has a second safety notch cut on the tumbler, so an external safety was not required. Also note that the tumbler/shaft is held with an end pin. That's just how they were built.
These latter Belgium made locks were meant to very roughly copy these Portuguese locks. But in the most economically way possible.

Rick

004 (Medium).JPG
005 (Medium).JPG
006 (Medium).JPG
007 (Medium).JPG
008 (Medium).JPG
001 (Medium).JPG

Latest posts

Back