• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

weird thinga ahappenin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i sight in my underhammer for dead center at 50 yrds now when i shoot at 100 yards i have to hold a 6 o.clock to hit center is this normal? i had to adjust the sights (the reason for resighting).
i am using .018 pillow ticking crush measures .013
85 grains of 2f goex and a .440 roundball.any help will be appreciated.

If you sight in at 13 yards it will be "minute of deer" out to 100 yards.

If your sights sit an inch or two higher than your barrel that would be about right. Remember when you shoot at something close the shot travels in an upward trajectory to meet your sights and then arcs back down with the pull of gravity. I guess you were using a 6" bull?

Jax , he means the balls path thru the sights crosses it twice vs line of sight ect, if your dead on at 13 try 25, it depends on your sights ect also, hes saying if your dead on at 13 you'll hit the "spot" on a deer at 100. Start at 13 go to 50 then you should set your sights at 100 dead on , a bit high or low how ever you want it set up for you :yakyak: it works for me, but no your sights sound backwards dead on at 100 is high at 50? Fred

thats what i thought it shoulld be high at 50 not 100 that is what is confusing me.i am going to the range this weekend and trying out some roundballs i made so we will see what happens. i will try to sight it in at 100 and see how it hits at 50. anyone know how high it should be (ballpark) at 50?

yes i am using a 6" shoot and see to see where i am hitting then i will switch to the 3" i have to practice better shooting and sighting.

If you use the same sight hold at 100y and 50y it may be a bit lower at 50y not higher at all. It all depends on how fast the bullet is traveling. You said you were going to try prb's this weekend they run out of steam pretty quick they may shoot higher at 50 than 100yds. Depends on how much powder you use the rifle ect.

This is too complicated to explain without showing you what I mean in person.

Jax,I don't know what kind of target you are using,so I'll use mine as an example of what happens when I sight in.I like a round black bullseye of about 2 1/2"-3" diameter at 50 yards,and a 5"-6" bull at 100 yards.They're big enough to see,and about the same width as my front sight at their respective ranges.When sighting in at a given range,a TARGET shooter wants to hit the center of the bull.The proper sight picture is to put the top of the front sight at the bottom of the bull to see the sight and bull clearly.If you were to put the sight on the center of the bull,the sight and bull would be partially obscured.So with a six o'clock hold the bullets would strike the target 1 1/4"-1 1/2" above the aiming point to hit the center of the bull.But when I sight in to HUNT (there is no bull on the deer)I want my bullet to strike right where the top of my front sight is.I sight in at 100 yards so I sight in so the shots strike the BOTTOM of the bull,right where I am aiming.Then I check by shooting at 50 yards and find that my shots are 2"-2 1/2" high at that range.I hope this helps,but you may have something else happening there.

I don't know if this will help at all.

RSballistics_0303A.jpg

as you can see the path is is way up before it comes down so with a powerfull load you can be higher at 100yds than 50yds.

PittsH, this is a cool picture, the best graph I have seen so far! Where did you find that? May I use it if a newcomer asks for trajectory advice?

Thanks,
Steve

It is a common pic using a mediun velocity round. Many more with different rounds are shown on the web. do not publish or use for profit their material.

That being said I found the pic at a forum talking about Henrey rifles. All ballistics are the same though. The truth is gravity sucks:)

Dont want to throw a wrench in this BUT, this is what I was trying to say first post, your shooting a ml not a Henrey, the figure is right as to how it works now redraw the line of RB flight to center of 100 bullseye and ck that path. As said big charge would be like fig 7 but not a ML rb sighted in at 100 yds. The idea most used is get on the bull at 13 then 25, 50 and last 100 so you dont go nuts trying to get it at 50, or 100 to start. This isfor RBs a Witworth is more like Fig 7 but you aiming at 1000 yds. Fred

What kind of sights you useing ? Ive mixed sight hights before and got messed up. Fred

Swampman You got my attention. I shoot 90gr.fff a 490 pbr, will the thirteen yard sight in be on at a 100 yards?? Thanks I am going to try it anyway,see what happens. :winking: Rocky

found this in one of Fadalas books, "50 cal crosses the line of sight 1st time at 13 yds 2nd at 75 to 80 yds,,, sight in 1" high at 50 yds and it should hit 1" low at 100yds, a half foot at 125." Good shooting ,,,Fred Same,Same what Swampman said.

jax12 said:
i sight in my underhammer for dead center at 50 yrds now when i shoot at 100 yards i have to hold a 6 o.clock to hit center is this normal?

Now I'm just a wonderin, could it be doind this because of the underhammer's design? The hammer is hitting upwards on the bottom of the barrel, is there enough force to raise the barrel slightly? It may not be noticable at short distances but shows up more pronounced with a longer time in flight.

Back