• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do I have here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up this nice little percussion Fowler a few day ago. Can anyone help identify it?
Barrel is 20 gauge, 44” long. Percussion lock says W.H. Barnes. Single trigger, no wedding band, but some proof marks on the barrel. Has a tapered ramrod and looks like pewter or silver entry pipe. I bought it as a shooter, but it may be valuable.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
957660BA-1BBA-4224-8329-37257CFD9D19.jpeg
FDA3E006-AEFD-4097-B321-F029C50F59BB.jpeg
870A2FC3-B969-4194-A0DE-1316520507FA.jpeg

I did a google search on him and a fair number of auctions of his guns came up. He appears to have been somewhat prolific in producing shotguns in the middle of the 1800s.

I did a google search on him and a fair number of auctions of his guns came up. He appears to have been somewhat prolific in producing shotguns in the middle of the 1800s.
Well Jake, you are a much better searcher than I am. When I search W.H. Barnes in Boston all I come up with is links and history of a piano maker? I don’t think that is him?

I ran across three or four online auctions featuring guns makes like yours there may be a chance he was only a lock maker but most of the guns looked similar to yours with varying barrel lengths and gauges.

Back