• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do I need

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAR EAGLE

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Being new to muzzleloading I would like advise on what I really need in do dads and gee gahs. Here is my plan. Short starter,powder measure,patch puller,ball puller,nipple wrench,capper,patches lubed and dry,horn,and bag.

Don't forget the rifle... :rotf: Sorry I couldn't help myself. Looks like you got a good start and it will get you going. You will probably want to add a screwdriver and toss in an extra nipple or two. I like to keep a small folding knife in my gear to.

If you're looking for non shooting stuff let us know. :hatsoff:

I have a short starter, but no longer carry it since I seem to do ok with just the ramrod. A worm is good for cleaning in the field between shots. I have a ball puller too, but I would make every effort to clear a charge and ball with a Co2 discharger before resorting to that tool.

Desert Rat. Thanks for the suggestion. I knew I was forgetting something important.Also I did not think of a screwdriver. Might come in very handy when parts start falling off.

Is this for hunting or target? As some have already said, you'll need to carry some cleaning supplies, either way.

I gave up hunting years ago, but I still really enjoy shooting,I plan to just punch holes in paper and maybe shoot some steel targets.

I have a CVA Mountain rifle that I took hunting this past weekend. I didn't see any game worth shooting, so I had the dilemma of how to clear the charge. I was tempted to shoot into a stump, but since I have a ball puller at home, I wanted to give that a try. I took a range rod with a T handle and put the ball puller on it. No hammering was required to start it, and it threaded fairly easily into the ball. I used a boot lace and a fence post to pull the ball. A double hitch on the rod and a loop around the fence post and out she came. I was impressed at how easily it came out once it started to move!

If you are wanting to shoot MLs accurately, this is the best start. I may disagree over a point or two, but this is a great resource:
[url] http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/[/url]

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
... but don't do as i did... check that the screwdriver actually fits into the slots before you (1) embarass yourself at the range, (2) chew up some screws, (3) embarass yourself by having to admit that you've embarrassed yourself...

that aside, you've a good start... a 'shakedown' will give you a good feel for what you do and don't need... some folks carry a boatload of stuff around, but thay seem to use only a small fraction of what they carry...

good luck!

msw

What MSW said. I usually get a "stubby" screwdriver for each gun and file the tip carefully so it is a good fit for removing the lock, flints, etc. It goes where the gun goes. Good smoke, ron in FL

If you are going to carry it in your pouch, a PC forged turnscrew is smaller & flatter than a 'stubby' screwdriver. It still should be filed to fit your screws as mentioned before.

Your forgetting one very important thing.....
keep this website on "speed dial" in the my favorites menu.

These guys have knocked ten years off my learning curve.

There's alot of info out there and a great guide on how to's may be found in a book "A Pilgram's Journey" by Mark Baker - volume ONE is good

Back