• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you carry in your patch box when hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried carrying stuff in my patch box but was always met with problems. loose items rattle when I walk and if I wrap them so they don't rattle then I run the risk of the lid popping open.
I don't even like to use it for patches.
I suppose a lot depends on the type of patch box you have, but in general I have found them to be useless, pretty but useless.

I find it's better to just keep things in a good shooting bag.

I see a general consensus of men who don’t like it, that interesting as Butt Traps go back to Europe and much of the time folks were ‘traveling light’ with not much in bags. So the box had to be used for ‘sumptom’.

It seems the ubiquitous coffee grinder and bean storage in the butt stock has gone out of style in modern incarnations of black powder guns.

Of all the different muzzleloaders I can actively hunt with only two have a patchbox; the other four do not have one. Two rifles I used to hunt with long ago have a patch/cap box but they are now just wall hangers and no longer hunt.

A while back, I saw one here that had2-3 drilled sockets for jag, ball screw and worm, and a plain recess for patches and such. Very organized and possibly less likely to dump if it popped open. Had to be a fairly thick stock.
Thought I'd saved the picture but haven't found it yet.

Back