• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you keep in your patchbox?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hmm: what patchbox...........................bob

154672.jpg

It's a bracket that is threaded to except a cleaning jag and ball puller. The bracket so they wouldn't roll around and make noise. I also keep a couple matches dipped in wax and some patches. It's a really neat little device.
This gun isn't finished yet, It still needs some work done. I'll post in the Builder's Bench section when it's finished... probably late December.

SP

For the life of me, I can't figure out what this is for. Pocket change? Chewing tobacco? Lip balm?

Any good ideas? :winking:

Funny you should mention lip-balm. Some would glob some bear-tallow-bees-wax mix in there (in later models that I have seen at least), and in some "poor boy" models it was just a hole drilled in the stock called a "tallow hole". I keep thinking about putting one in the stock of the po'boy that I am currently fooling around with, but, I wouldn't use bear-grease for lip-balm....if you ever get to handle one of those old Tennessee Mountain barn guns with a tallow hole, the first thing you'll notice is the foul odor that precedes it...lol...

just my thinkin', :results:

I hope like hek you guys are not opening that darn patchbox !!!!!!!!
There are Gremlins in those things and if you open it and they get out, they MULTIPLY !!!
LEAVE IT CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crackup:

I have never used the patch box on any rifle I purchased that had one on it. I have custom built most of my rifles and don't bother with the time and expense of installing something I'll never use.

I'm not saying they don't look nice on rifles, they do! I just don't use them or need 'em... :m2c:

[quote
Funny you should mention lip-balm. [/quote]

My mentor uses sheep tallow he has on more than one occasion put it on his lips explaining it has great qualities as lip balm! LOL! But he carries it in a cap tin not in his patchbox.

I guess that'd be better than bear grease! :crackup:

YMH&OS,
Chuck

There are Gremlins in those things and if you open it and they get out, they MULTIPLY !!!

I knew that all along. Me Pappy explained this when I was but a wee tad...said they were green too. Said they had to do with envy and such, and life would be much better iff'n they all just stayed in that little box.....so that's where they stays!

I knew that all along. Me Pappy explained this when I was but a wee tad...said they were green too. Said they had to do with envy and such, and life would be much better iff'n they all just stayed in that little box.....so that's where they stays!

Pandora's Patchbox :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I know a fellow who keep balls of beewax in his to use as waterproffing arount his pan and over his load.

I know a fellow who keep balls of beewax in his to use as waterproffing arount his pan and over his load.

Now that's the best idea I've heard yet!

Thanks Longshot, :redthumb:

Chuck

Actually, I think I just found a use. After cleanup, I put the nipple and screw for the drum cleaning hole into the patchbox before putting the rifle away, figuring it might help avoid condensation. Does this make sense?

3patchboxesopen.jpg
Here are three rifles I built, copying the original patchboxes as exactly as I could. Left is a Henry Albright Lancaster.54 FL. There is a cleaning jag, which I don't usually use in the field (because I almost never clean during a shooting session, and use a steel range rod to load with and clean if I choose to), an 8x32 to 10x32 adapter holding a patch worm (on account of that worm is a 10x32), and a ball puller loosely threaded into the stock holding the other pieces in place. The lid touches it so it doesn't come out. (I prefer 10x32 threads, but still have some old rods with 8x32). Next is a Jacob Wigle flintlock (Westmoreland Co., PA), the original of which I restored for a museum here. I have a .40 ball puller here. Right is a Thomas Oldham Bedford .40, with nothing in it yet. That left setup is the best I have come up with. It helps answer those nagging questions, "What's it for?" All boxes have toe line releases. The Wigle has the rod sprung by a brass plate which you see below the hinge. The Oldham has a lifter spring made in a hoop from a coping saw blade. The Wigle is made from a hacksaw blade under the finial. I have had enough of people ripping the boxes open with their fingernails, so went to more massive catches, like the original Wigle. Also now build my lids not cut into the side of the butt plate, so they can't get their durned fingernails under it. So putting these rod attachments in the box like some of you do is worthwhile, better than in the bag.

The originals were not called "patch" boxes, just "boxes" according to what I've read. People used them for storage of various things, including patches, so the name evolved into "patchbox". I have seen originals with tools in them (like pictured in another post) and I saw one original flintlock with two paper cartridges in the box--like the ones used with Brown Bess muskets, except sized for that rifle. I figure the guy wanted two quick follow up shots in case of combat or hunting event requirements...such as OOPS! I JUST WINGED THAT BEAR!

Back