• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you love to hunt the most?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love to hunt white tail deer the most. I love watching them in the summer, reading about them, planning my hunt and where to put my stands, cooking them and eating them. I have killed close to 100, and still get excited when I see one in a field when driving down the road.

:hmm: Loose women and good whisky. That being said, I enjoy hunting squirrels. Long season, Mountains ablaze with color, not too cold, plenty of targets. A nice slow paced day out for this old f--t. Life should not be taken in a hurry. :snore: Vern

no question........Adirondack Whitetail! :grin: :grin: :grin:

and sometimes :redface: hunt fer camp :redface: :haha:

RC said:
no question........Adirondack Whitetail! :grin: :grin: :grin:

and sometimes :redface: hunt fer camp :redface: :haha:
:grin: Them camps can be elusive I hear :rotf:

Wallbies.

fc1d5e2e.jpg

I saw some of those long-tailed large rabbits at the zoo once, but they won't let you shoot them. There was some elk and buffalo, too. :haha:

At 77 yrs of age, I look back and analyze how my hunting activities have changed. When very young {6-10} in northen Minnesota, the main game were wood chucks and gophers along w/ one inadvertent whitetail and all w/ a .22. From there {11-16} the slingshot came into play and plenty of pheasants, rabbits and squirrels were killed w/in the city limits of a large metropolitan area and provided many meals. When the "adult" stage of hunting started, it was back to northern Minnesota and under the tutelage of my uncle, the "best poacher" in the area, we fed a family of 7 most of the year, mainly on venison. Back to the metropolis because of educational needs, and the hunting became a minimal endeavor. Because it was impossible to hunt while attending college, again my "deer hunting" took place in Minnesota only during the Christmas vacation. After college,the army and a 5 yr tool and diemaker apprenticeship, my hunting became an obsession and finally settled on ruffed grouse, deer, rabbit and squirrel hunting. Seeing I'm not built as a sitter, both physically and mentally, deer hunting wasn't equal to the other three, but still was an annual event because of family. Then came a "disastrous" event that changed my hunting forever...my first solo MLer elk hunt in the Rockies. This so "grabbed" me that for many years, the entire year was in preparation for the MLer elk hunt in Colorado. Judging from the steep terrain and altitude, elk hunting is a young man's sport and I deeply regret that I didn't elk hunt earlier, but then I would have surely regretted not having the numerous hunts for grouse, squirrels, rabbits and deer....and still, much hunting wasn't experienced because of various time restraints and obligations and the insatiable desire to hunt was never fully satisfied. Thanks for letting me digress a bit....Fred

Easy answers... to hunt, coyotes - to shoot, diggers.

Kind of fitting that my last hunt was calling predators traditional style with calls I made myself in period attire packing a sidelock.

Texas Hill Country whitetails are my favorite. Hogs and exotics are fun too, but I really love the whitetail.

Let's see....Deer #1, squirrels #2, Turkeys #3 I guess cause other than these everything I end up totin' home is a product of opportunity.

Whitetail deer in PA and IA. It is the only hunting I have done for a few years now. I used to do a lot of upland bird hunting and waterfowl too, but these days I fish a good bit, and concentrate on the deer hunting.

My favorite hunting has always been ruffed grouse. Nothing like pushing through the woods and having 1, 2 or 3 birds burst out from under your feet, going in all directions. Love that. They've gotten pretty scarce around here here days, so much so that it doesn't make sense to go out for them anymore. :(
Whitetail deer is a close second, followed by turkey.

Aside: Personally I believe the best way to get younger folks into hunting is via small game in any of it's forms. Kids appreciate action, and sitting in a stand or still hunting for deer for example is a game of planning and patience. Time enough for that once a little maturity sets in. :wink:

Would have to be Elk for me by a long shot..but since my health won't let me climb those steep mountains anymore and don't have the money to hunt the less strenuous flatter land they reside on..I can't wait for whitetail season every yr. I'm either hunting them or getting ready to go.
Bout the same with Spring Gobblers.
I moved to Illinois bout a yr ago for the deer hunting and couldn't gobble hunt due to the quota application had to be submitted the yr. before. May not get a muzzleloader hunt this yr for the same reason..but I did at least become a resident and put in for it late.

Hoyt, as God as my witness I am going west someday to hunt elk with the flinter. I have to research where a poor southern cop married to a poor southern school teacher can do a cheaper do it yourself hunt. This year I plan to hunt the South Carolina mountains on a week long hunt/trek in 1770 persona.

Back