• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Do You Use To Lubricate Your 1858 Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use heavy auto grease for the cylinder pin and very light viscosity bulk white grease from the auto store for sealing the chambers. It has a high melting temperature and sticks pretty well. For decades I used Blue and Gray "Pistol Patch" but I ran out and haven't found a supply. The white auto grease pretty much seems the same anyway.

It was recommended to me to use Pam cooking spray. It didn't seem to work that well.

I tried Ballistol, and it quit dragging, and is much easier to pull the pin. Works quite well, and I have an aerosol can in my shooting box.

Another vote for Ballistol - I wipe the pin with it every ten to twenty shots and run a small patch through the pin hole of the cylinder. Works fine.

Ballistol for the internals, plenty of it,,
Old Zip patch lube from Dixie,, it's a lanolin based heavy grease, on the cylinder arbor.

Borebutter on the arbor and over chambers.

It is the only thing I have found that the stuff is any good for.

The internals get Rem Oil or other gun lubricant, depending on what is closest to hand.

Capnballhunter said:
Curious what different peoples choices are, especially for the cylinder pin. Thanks

For lubricating over the chambers a 6-1-3 mix of Mutton Tallow, Beeswax and Olive Oil is used. Works fine in Florida year round.

For lubricating wads and conicals a 5-3-1 mix of Mutton Tallow, Beeswax and Olive Oil is used. Pretty stiff but still good for pan lubing the conicals.

For lubricating the internals and cylinder pin a 4-1 mixture of bore butter is used. Bore butter is 4 parts Olive Oil and 1 part Beeswax.

Will also recommend Ballistol for cleaning, protection and lubrication; it's excellent stuff and there's none better!

Blue and Gray pistol patch is great stuff. To bad it is not around anymore. I have been using jojoba oil or white grease on my arbors. I use hand punched wads made from old hats lubed with olive oil. Every cylinder i load i grease two chambers wax toilet ring wax it been working real good.

For the arbors of my revolvers I've been using Shakespeare spinning reel grease since I lucked into a ten-pound can of the stuff at a local fire-sale.

As an over-ball lube and fouling-softener I've been using a medical skin cream emulsion called E-45 since the late 1970's. Not only is is easy to simply wash away, taking most of the crud with it, but it's good for the hands, too. :thumbsup:

tac

I have usually used bore butter.

I also found an old squeeze bottle of spitball, a sparingly light swipe of this stuff was pretty good over the ball. I have about a third of the container left and it is still usable as far as I can tell.

I was wondering if anyone has used Canola oil for parts lubrication or for the cylinder pin?

I am also a big believer in the merits of olive oil.

Thanks swathdiver for the recipes, I always appreciate it when someone decides to share the ratios on them.

I use a 3 to 1 mix of olive oil and bees wax for wad and arbor lube. I usually get 36 to 90+ shots depending on humidity without having to pull the cylinder and clean. No grease over the chambers - not necessary, and just makes an awful mess.

I used to top off my cylinders with spit patch, bore butter or crisco, and yea makes a mess, shooting out the door of the Corolla one can not see in the door mirror at all on the way home :nono:

I probably wouldn't use anything with coal tar in it. I also wouldn't use anything flammable. My brother once used WD40 to spray on the cylinder and a chain fire ensued. He wasn't hurt, but did have to change his shorts (bless his soul).

Cpl. Ashencheeks said:
Thanks swathdiver for the recipes, I always appreciate it when someone decides to share the ratios on them.

My pleasure. It was time to mix some more up so when we did, we dropped 1 part Olive Oil from the 6-1-3 mix and added 1 Part Beeswax to the 5-3-1 just to try something a little different.

Mate, I use avania water pump grease, it is calcium based. I have found using lubricated felt wad over powder really cuts the cylinder binding for some reason. I use olive oil for lubrication and oiling the bore and chambers after cleaning, I get no carbon fouling and don't have to cap off before loading.

Cheers

heelerau

Back