• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What gun would you.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
The other night I watched a program on Discovery Channel, I think, where a guy was trying to survive for 3 months in the wilderness. He didn’t make it but I thought how much more interesting it would have been if he had only been allowed to use, say, 1800’s equipment. Of coarse he had modern camping supplies and a modern rifle.
So it begs the question, if you were thrown into the same situation which flintlock would you take. What, or if, would you take in your possibles bag to support your flintlock.
Remember this is bear country and yes it is griz country!

If you are just a post reader you can chime in on this one, as there is no wrong answer.

I'd have packed a bunch of snare wire. It works while you're doing something else, and you can cover a lot more ground with a string of snares. A pound of that will feed you better than ten pounds of lead and powder.

With that in mind, I really wouldn't care too much about the caliber. But for pure versatility, I'd be happiest with roundballs pick of a 62 smoothie. Until I ran out of powder or balls. Then I'd be making snare "wire" out of bark or hide or something.

In addition to shifting emphasis from guns, to snares, you need to know how to make traps, other than snares, for both land and water. Weirs in creeks, and streams and rivers are a simply means to acquire fish for a steady supply of meat. There are now excellent books available to teach you how to survive in the wilderness, and better, there are excellent outdoor survival schools where you can receive hands-on instruction in these skills.

Mr. ebiggs,
We're with Mr. BrownBear on this one.
Why was the individual unable to survive for only 3 months? Some physical injury, perhaps?
Best Wishes

ebiggs said:
The other night I watched a program on Discovery Channel, I think, where a guy was trying to survive for 3 months in the wilderness. He didn’t make it but I thought how much more interesting it would have been if he had only been allowed to use, say, 1800’s equipment. Of coarse he had modern camping supplies and a modern rifle.
So it begs the question, if you were thrown into the same situation which flintlock would you take. What, or if, would you take in your possibles bag to support your flintlock.
Remember this is bear country and yes it is griz country!

If you are just a post reader you can chime in on this one, as there is no wrong answer.

.62 flintlock, Snare wire, a good sharp knife, fire starter, small wrench, screw driver, hammer, shovel, axe, rope, compass, salt, iodine, first aid kit, dutch oven, and a 9 iron which Elin Woods proved can be a formidable weapon.

Since you have only what you can carry, I'd not consider a large caliber nor birdshot. Bears can be avoided and a .40 caliber is enough for deer and not terribly excessive for small game. You can carry four balls of .390" diameter for the same weight as one .610". That's why the American longrifle was downsized from the European Jager.

Was pondering the what-ifs when I saw this topic... what was the flintlock analog to todays 22RF?
22RF is an easy 0 to not terrible tough 70 yard shots small game round. What would compare flintlock wise? I think a 40.

35 years ago a cheap caplock 45 was my pot meat gun. Now I'm working with a 36 flinter and think I'd just as soon have it a little bigger. Not a lot bigger and something smaller than 45.

But, in the middle of nowhere? I'd want the 62 smoothie.

WindWalker said:
Why was the individual unable to survive for only 3 months? Some physical injury, perhaps?
Best Wishes

I saw the same show, and the guy didn't make it because he followed the laws that said he couldn't take whatever game that crossed his path. He passed on a young moose and ducks, because they weren't in season.

The "survivor" did try to snare rabbits and other small game, but came away empty handed.

He also fished with a fishing rod, instead of setting throw lines or using a net.

I noticed that he packed a cast iron dutch oven and other items that, IMHO, were not appropriate for his adventure.

He also made a pretty cheesy lean-to type camp that didn't offer any real protection from the elements.

IMHO, poor planning, insufficient skills, poor choice of equipment, and insertion into a rough, rugged area that apparently didn't offer much in the way of good hunting or foraging is what caused him to bug out early.

IMHO, using 18th century equipment would not have made a difference. The adventurer didn't have the knowledge and skill sets for long term subsistence in that environment.

God bless

Assuming the Canadian forests I know, probably a trade gun. Big enough, but not too big. And you could use shot or ball.

And in addition to bringing snare wire, I would set up somewhere near a good big cattail patch. It would be important to find a supply of carbs which could be put up and stored. Cattails give you this, plus a lot of other stuff.

Being that I only have one flintlock, Id be more apt to take my 45-70. With all there is to do to survive. keeping loaded black powder cartridges would simplify things greatly.

I could carry my powder horn, and hand reloading kit. a few boxes of primers, and Im GTG.

Much faster reloading, and the knock down to deal with even barrs.

Seems to me that if a person is trying to survive then he is emulating either a person in that area in the past or a person trying to survive in the future..........And game laws would not matter.............I'd have eaten moose and when I wrote the story I would have lied and said I ate only rabbits.........................Bob

You are spot-on Leatherbark. Arbitrary laws go out the window in a survival situation.

On thing that hasen't been discussed is the scope of operation in the "survival" situation. Is the subject expected to have a fixed base camp, or is he expected to travel? :hmm: This I believe would have a major impact upon what firearms he might select. As an example, if hunting around a fixed camp in grizz territory, one may opt for a 12-gauge SxS with the appropriate selection of shot and balls. If, on the other hand, he is expected to travel to some distant "rescue" point in the same territory he would probably want to have a smaller-caliber, lighter rifle or smoothbore, thereby sacrificing a measure of "whompability" for protection from the odd enraged sow bear in exchange for portability.

There may no right answer here, but there sure can be some wrong ones. Interesting to think about. :hmm:

J.D. said:
WindWalker said:
Best Wishes

I saw the same show, and the guy didn't make it because he followed the laws that said he couldn't take whatever game that crossed his path. He passed on a young moose and ducks, because they weren't in season.

The "survivor" did try to snare rabbits and other small game, but came away empty handed.

He also fished with a fishing rod, instead of setting throw lines or using a net.

I noticed that he packed a cast iron dutch oven and other items that, IMHO, were not appropriate for his adventure.

He also made a pretty cheesy lean-to type camp that didn't offer any real protection from the elements.

IMHO, poor planning, insufficient skills, poor choice of equipment, and insertion into a rough, rugged area that apparently didn't offer much in the way of good hunting or foraging is what caused him to bug out early.

IMHO, using 18th century equipment would not have made a difference. The adventurer didn't have the knowledge and skill sets for long term subsistence in that environment.

God bless
I began to watch that show but turned it when he began to cry about missing his family.... The reason he did not make it had zero to do with his equipment. His mindset was poor, he did not have the drive nor the desire to survive...that being said I would take what I typically already have in my bag, since my only flintlock is a .50 cal I would have a minimum of 50 balls for it, a nice sharp knife, 50ft of artificial sinew (I carry that wrapped on a stick in my sewing pouch), patch material, few extra flints, 1/4 lb or so of beef jerky, small fishing kit and a positive attitude that I will survive this adventure and have a great big Ribeye when I get back home. :v

I watched about 30 seconds of one of his shows in a hotel room once. American idol sleeps in a fake lean-to. Yet another reason I won't spend a cent on cable or satellite. :barf:

Gotta say that deer are one of the easiest animals in the world to snare. I'd be careful about setting six snares unless I was ready to dress and care for six deer at once. Squirrels aren't far behind for easy, and rabbits are nipping at their heels.

Flintlock fo sure. If you got dunked, powder will dry and rocks will still work. Don't know if wet caps are salvageable.

Dbl barrel in 20 or 12 ga would be a reasonable choice. Obviously one loaded w/ shot and one w/ ball. Lots of weight for several months of lead as almost nothing would be recoverable.

.69 or .62 rifle makes sense for bear but, as above, probably would not be able to recover a ball if a deer or 'bou was shot so more lead.

.40 makes some sense as one would be able to recover a few balls. Another point for the smaller bore is that you would be more careful about AVOIDING the bears.

Good point about base camp or traverse to a pickup point. If a main camp then could take fly rod, inflatable boat, 5 gal of peanut oil, sorry :shake: couldn't help it. How about a pack animal? :grin:

If I could choose any ML, would be the double 20 ga shotgun. If I had to stick w/ a rifle - hmmmmm - probably a .50. But flintlock, please.

Several reasonable items mentioned. Missed it if someone mentioned a small axe or tomahawk and reasonable fishing gear.

TC

roundball said:
.62cal Flint smoothbore
A few weeks ago I would not have said this, but after shooting my.62 smoothy, I would have to agree. 3-4" groups at 50 yards with prb and 7/8 oz. shot for small stuff would work. With shot loads you would take small game easier and shoot less.

i agree with flintlock62, with the exception of the golf club, and the addition of a big bottle of plain old multi- vitamins, so you don't end up with scurvy, or the plague, or somesuch nasty condition.

knowledge is key- i knew a fighter pilot who was sent through the SERE school, and was followed by the instructor. the pilot nearly flunked the course not because he couldn't survive in the woods, but because he wouldn't share his fresh caught fish, or his rabbit stew, or any of the other munchies he's scrounged from the nature with the instructor, leaving the fellow to feast on cold MREs while the pilot ate well.

oh, don't forget the spare batteries for the TV remote...

hummm... i'ed take knife, axe, wire, fire starter,
good boots, plenty of socks.
twine, diamond wetstone, and my .45 underhammer.
rain slicker, longjohns, several sets of gloves,
small hacksaw, small hand drill.
my bible,

Back