• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what is a Jackie Brown?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xia_emperor

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new and wanted to know since I see that people are talking about them. I am at the moment a cap and ball guy. :hmm:

Jackie Brown is a builder of guns. He makes a few different styles, at reasonable prices for someone that can't afford one from some of the more well known builders.

Rebel said:
Jackie Brown is a builder of guns. He makes a few different styles, at reasonable prices for someone that can't afford one from some of the more well known builders.
or---mabey just want a nice gun and dont want to pay an exuberant price for about the same qulity :v

two-bellys said:
Rebel said:
or---mabey just want a nice gun and dont want to pay an exuberant price for about the same qulity :v
So, what's "exuberant" in your opinion?
I always like the quote I see so often, "nice gun!".... (and then always followed by)..."for the money" :winking:
Jackie Brown is a popular builder that puts out a plain gun at a give away price. :thumbsup:

Boys, there aint no better investment than a Mike Brooks gun. Satan can have soul before my Brooks guns. If you have two lesser guns, sell them and get ONE Mike Brooks. You wont outlive the guns function and form. And you WONT have to go grey calling to check on if its done,nor worry that your going to get what you paid for. Aint saying Mr Brown dont make a good gun, I just KNOW Mike does. A side note on affording a good rifle. I see/have buddies driving 50,000 dollar pickups and complain about putting a few extra dollars into a really well made rifle. My running buddie thinks 600 is too much for a gun but drives a brand new Toyota Trunda (isnt it?) the size of Texaz. I can go to events alone cheaper than split gas with him. Id rather put my money in a good gun than in my gas tank. Others mileage may vary as they say. Capt Michael

That just means he could not spell exorbitant.
[url] http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=exorbitant[/url]

I think that if you want a researched and hand crafted gun, then you should expect to pay a fair cost to the builder for it. On the other hand, there are guns which provide good service, but are made with modern tools and techniques; are not decorated with fancy carving, inlays or engraving and may not be period correct in some aspects or components, but still fall into the general category of guns similar to what was used in some period of time. They are often produced in fair numbers so that you may see several of them at an event. People like to hunt with these; own and shoot them. These generally cost under $1,000.

I groan when I see some guns at events because their components do not mesh well together and some are from a later time period. However, the purchaser should do some study before ordering a gun.

By doing a bit of study and then making a few special requests, I was able to get an inexpensive gun that covers several needs and is more correct. Not perfect, but a great gun -- for the money. :)

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
I already know what exorbent means. A Toyota Trunda to me is exorbent. With what I save in money a year on gas, I can almost pay for a Mike Brooks gun. As far as being correct,,,I dont build'm ,but ya cant fool me on'm. I know what im looking at when I see it. I study old guns very closely. When you handle an orginial and think,,,this is Mike Brooks work,,,the guy has something RIGHT. And Mike is very very reasonable. In the end, you aquire what you pay for. It is true some are of more limited means that others. If one can truely NOT afford the extra, its no disgrace. If one is just to cheap to recongize quality, its a personality flaw.

I have two Jackie Brown built guns. Both are left hand. One is an 11 ga. smoothie which has harvested pheasants and the other is a 58 cal with a Colerain barrel which I will use this year for deer. While they are not Mike Brooks quality work, I am am very happy with them FOR THE MONEY I COULD AFFORD TO SPEND. They are both poor boy style. If you go with Mr. Browns work I think you will get good shooters. Some day soon, I hope to have a left hand 32 built and would sure like to have one of Mr. Brooks rifles.

damn, :cursing: why is it that any time i add my opinion i get flamed and mabey i cant spell and dont have a good education like most of you but at least i dont look down on other people because of there opinions you guy are the most onesided -------------- if any statement is to your dislikeing your like a pack of dogs ,attack the mutt because he s not a pure breed well i dont need this manure this is a great forum but there many here who think they are the forum police and want to controll every thought if not agreeable with there own! :cursing: but i guess if i made a living building guns i can see how you could feel that jackie might be a threat to your income :hmm:

i guess if i made a living building guns i can see how you could feel that jackie might be a threat to your income
Obviously you missed the part of my post where I complemented jackie Brown and his work.
Here's the part of your post I take issue with.
or---mabey just want a nice gun and dont want to pay an exuberant price for about the same qulity
To suggest I or others that build guns for a living charge too much money for our work is just like me telling you you make too much at what ever it is you do for a living, which I don't think is any of my business.

I have two Jackie Brown build smoothbore and I think the fit and finish is totally top rate. I'm happy with both of em'. For anywhere from $750-$950 you can have a hand build gun made up for you which is what a massed produced Italian gun would cost and the Italian gun would not have near as nice a fit or finish and resale value would also be less on the Italian gun. I like J.B. built guns. :thumbsup:

i suggested nothing, :nono: you are makeing assumpetions your self. i never called any names on anything . you jumped in, in you own defense i said nothing about or to you :cursing:

Two bellys. To borrow a phrase from The Bard, Me thinks Mr. Brooks Protests too much! ( And too soon. YOu didn't name any names, or accuse any one builder of charging too much. ) You didn't deserve the load of chickenpoop that fell on you because of your remark. Anyone examining different guns made by different makers can easily see why one costs more than another. Mr. Brooks does outstanding work, and is certainly entitled to charge for his artistry. If he were charging too much, he would not have very many customers for long. He does point out the fact that there are good builders out there who make guns without a lot of hand work, such as incise carving, inlays, wire inlays, ornate patch boxes, etc. that often represent more than 1/2 of all the labor needed to build the gun. I am not familiar with Mr. Brown's work, other than a few pictures posted on this site. The guns appear to be well worth what he charges for them, and reports here from the owners indicate they are fine shooters. A quality firearm made to order, without expensive frills is a working tool any man will be proud to own.

Mr Two Bellys,,,,No one said Jackie didnt build good guns. He does, and I personally think he sells them too cheap. What (and this is just me) gets my goat is a fellow flintlocker that will say,,'i wouldnt pay that much!' and have an import bess or sumptin.( Now the imports have their place, at 'battles' and such. I just dont do mock battles.) But the guys that get me is the ones that wont spring for a decent gun, even a Jackie Brown gun , and drive a dang vehicle that cost half much as my house and use more gas going to an event than I use to heat with all winter. To me its not what a guy can afford, hell im poor by most ya'lls standards, its priorites and having an eye for quality. I didnt mean to ruffle anyones feathers about Jackie. There is indeed a place for the no frills working gun. Id rather have Jackie build me one that order it from Yepper Amiran in Godknowswhere. But ill maintain, the bang for the buck is Mike Brooks. Maybe one just has to handle his work to appreciate it.

Back