• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is draw filing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy82

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have heard it mentioned countless times, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the process is. Can anybody enlighten me?

You lay the file on the work piece at a right angle to it and draw it along the work rather than pushing with the handle like you do with normal filing.

YOu use a special file that has teeth cut on only one bias, or angle to the length of the file. These files are known as " single cut", or " Draw files", and are different from "Cross-cut files".Cross cuts are used to hog off a lot of metal very quickly.

If you put it across the work you are going to file, the angle of the teeth becomes similar to a snowplow blade in relationship to the length of the stroke. You push the file forward to cut, the file at right angles to the stroke, then lift it up, take it back and put it back down on the surface, and push forward again. In between cuts, most people will stop and use a file " Card ", to brush the bits of steel out of the teeth of the file. Some also use chalk to fill the gaps between the teeth, because this keeps the filings from gettin locked between the teeth, clogging the file, and scratching the surface with the next stroke.

Draw filing is finishing work, and produces a fine, finished, smooth surface that is ready for further reduction if desired, using emery cloth in various grits, down to emery papers, again, available in various grits. Crocus cloth would be the finest cloth available for polishing metal, and after that, you would go to rottenstone, or fine pumices. Then you use these fine compounds and oil to get an even smoother, mirror like surface, if desired.

A trip to a good hardware store, and some time asking " dumb questions" of the clerks about what kinds of grits in paper and other compounds will gain you much knowledge. You can do the same by visiting tool providers, like Harbour Freight, Or Mc Masters, or Woodcrafts.com. There are others, of course.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stand behind the barrel with the barrel pointing away you at a 90 degree angle . Put the bottom end of the file in your left hand, the top of the file in your right hand and then draw the file to you, with the file dead across the barrel. The file will shave off the steel in strips like a plane, instead of making little chips like normal.

Many Klatch

Yeah, what Many Klatch said. A single cut file, like a mill bastard file will work just great. A larger sized mill file (14") can be nicer to work with but not necessary, use what you got. Hold the handle in your left hand and pull towards you, or hold in the right hand and push. If you do the opposite you are wearing the file teeth more than you are cutting metal.

Back