• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what is the best production made flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beartrap

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I shoot a GPR .54 flintlock with an L&R lock & custom sights plus i have a GM smooth bore barrel for it. so far i really like this gun but it is the only one I have ever owned as i cannot afford a custom gun and i was just wondering what you all thought of this gun and if you could give me any other ideas on how i could improve it like maybe how are the triggers on it or what kind of triggers would better suit this gun or any other suggestions please on how to improve it. what in your opinion would be the best production made flintlock gun to buy. maybe point me in the right direction to buy a better one, even if used. Thank you all, any replies would sure be appreciated.

It would be my opinion that the set-up You have now,is near the top of the list for a "production" gun.To do better,I think You'd need to go for a kit to stay somewhere in the same price range.The TC flinters are great and the service seems to be the best,but You wouldn't be gaining a lot.You didn't say wether or not You were looking to have a weapon thet is more PC or just better quality? Track of the Wolf,TVM,North Star West Jim Chambers and others can furnish You with the parts and/or kit to build Your own.I'm certain others here can furnish You with more in depth information. :front:

i think the Lyman GPR is one of if not thee best production rifle going. i had a 54. that i deeply regret getting rid of. i think ya got the best there is. T.C. does make a fine flintlock in the Penn rifle which they no longer offer. it had a 1:66 twist and was a real tack driver.

My vote goes for the Lyman GPR also. Your rifle sounds perfect to me, .54cal, upgraded lock, and a extra smoothbore barrel. What cal is the smooth barrel and did you have to do any stock modifications? My GPR in .50cal is one accurate and reliable rifle. I am looking to replace the wide, very wide, front sight though :hmm: My advice to you is save your money up and order up a coustom gun, built to your specs. Putting any more money in that GPR will not make it a better shooter.
:m2c:

the smooth barrel is also .54 and no i did not have to do anything to the stock but i had to do a little fileing on the hook to make it fit. it shoots #5 shot in a quite tight pattern and i am able to shoot ducks, geese and chicken hawks quite well with it.

Back