• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what kind of flintlock is this??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremhntr

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hello all. this flint i got off of my dad this past fall. i found it in his attic while cleaning out his old house. he said to throw it out, but i just couldn't. he bought it as a kit back in the 70's but never fired it. when i found it, it was in bad shape. the barrel was all rusted, brass tarnished, and the stalk was unfinished. i brought it home, took it apart and cleaned her up. but i have no idea what it is. i don't even know the cal. but it looks like a 45.
238109.jpg

Wow, retro! My first muzzleloader was similar but a percussion. I believe that wide brass band is a sign of the old two-piece stocks used. I would still choose it over the one beneath it( no offense to the modern inline crowd). Where's the ramrod?

yes it is a 2 piece stalk and the ran-rod was lost somewhere. so i guess its a cva then. there are no markings on it. i will probably have to take it somewhere to find out what cal it is. i should have taken a pic before i cleaned it up.

Just measure the bore with a caliper. That should tell you what caliber it is. Probably either .45 or .50.

My very first BP rifle was like that but percussion. It was imported from Spain by Markwell Arms. I later learned that the brass "band" historically served to patch a broken stock. In this case, they used it to conceal that the stock was two-piece instead of one. Most of these guns are .45 cal RB. Congratulations on your find and have fun with it! :peace:

Don't recall that patchbox on the CVA but it may just be a lot of years and CRS on my part. Still, in all, those old .45 were pretty good shooting rifles for brush and timber ranges. In the CVA version, without patch box, we used to get a lot of venison for the pot with 75 grains of FFg. For thicker cover, 50 grains of FFFg ran about 100 :m2c:f.p.s. slower but did as well.

ROLLINGB, DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE ''jukar '' spainish guns? i have one in .45 cal that i bought for 175.00 just to shoot while i finish my TOTW KIT. ANY INFO WOULD HELP. THANKS BOWDAWG

The JUKARs were real low quality, low priced guns. You can normally pick one up around here for $60- $75 for a pistol, and about $100- $125 for a rilfe in good condition. The locks weren't great, especially the flintlocks, but they normally were accurate enough if you got them to shoot.

REBEL,IT IS SHOOTING ABOUT 10'' LOW AT 50YRDS, HOW DO I FIX THAT? BY TAKING DOWN THE FRONT BLADE? BOWDAWG

You can either file down the front sight or install a taller rear sight. The rear sight change would be the best probably, since if it is too tall you can file it down some to shoot lower. If you get the front sight too low, they can be hard to see.

It's an old (vintage) Maxwell arms (99% sure). CVA also had a two-piece stock but Maxwell had the funky patchbox. Most of the ones I saw years ago always seemed to have a crack that ran from the lock to the brass band...wood was pretty thin there and seemed to be a major point of stress due to the placement of the barrel pins. If it were mine, I'd keep the loads fairly light...65 grs. or so...just to be on the safe side. enjoy your attic find. it won't be long before the in-line will be collecting dust because you'll shoot the long gun all the time. :thumbsup:

I have a Markwell Arms (Not Maxwell) that is missing a few tidbits. It is a kentucky pistol and the stock looks rather nice. I am missing the trigger guard and ramrod stuff. The barrel does look cheezy compared to other stuff that I have...

I know the feeling, Longknife. One day I looked in the mirror and there was this old guy lookin' back. I still can't figure out how he got in there!

I have a Markwell percussion that looks like that but with another type of patchbox. Buttplate is the same. BTW, amazingly enough it's "V" spring and not coil like the modern Lyman or TC. Paid $45 for that kit.

Back