• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was the first match of my club. It was our Rendezvous Match, so we had reactive targets to shoot. Historical clothing was encouraged but not required.

I wish I had hit a few more targets, but I did have a few successes.

20240303_164606_Split Card.jpg

I saw the closed cell foam. I my neck of the woods that is," ice blanket". Used to cover ice in the holds of commercial fishing boats. I use it to line coolers and as a pad when camping. Thank you for the detailed reply.
Your welcome. I'm sure somebody will come along and make a nice one but she's a good goin to town case!

While I was home last time my granddaughter and I shoot her Traditions Deerhunter, she did well. After we cleaned it I just wasn’t happy with the nipple to thread fit on the drum. This was a new, correct nipple that didn’t give me cause for concern when I first installed it, but this time it did. Closer inspection showed little remaining of the drum threads. So I ordered and oversized nipple, tap, and drill bits from TOW. The box is waiting for me at home now. So this afternoon I removed the drum so I can get it repaired when I come back. And the gouges on the drum aren’t all mine! Somebody buggered it up before me. If I can’t get it fixed properly I’ll try again to find a new drum or replacement barrel. I’ve had no luck locating a new drum, if anybody knows a source please let me know.
Have you the log cabin or the gun works tdm .

Stopped ata small gun shop late yesterday afternoon and found a couple of small item. Found 22 tubular magazine for a 1890 Winchester I’ve had laying around for years. Also found this unusual lock. It is two piece.
View attachment 300566

I also picked up a brass butt plate for some future project and the guy threw in a frizzen spring for who knows what.
That lock is from a group of imported guns from Stoeger from the 1950's to 60's. If I recall correctly, they were Belgian in origin. You can google images of the guns.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

While I was home last time my granddaughter and I shoot her Traditions Deerhunter, she did well. After we cleaned it I just wasn’t happy with the nipple to thread fit on the drum. This was a new, correct nipple that didn’t give me cause for concern when I first installed it, but this time it did. Closer inspection showed little remaining of the drum threads. So I ordered and oversized nipple, tap, and drill bits from TOW. The box is waiting for me at home now. So this afternoon I removed the drum so I can get it repaired when I come back. And the gouges on the drum aren’t all mine! Somebody buggered it up before me. If I can’t get it fixed properly I’ll try again to find a new drum or replacement barrel. I’ve had no luck locating a new drum, if anybody knows a source please let me know.
they have to be made and fit to the gun I've been doing it for 30 years . last month I did one a different way its not for the faint of heart. The customer didn't want to pay for a new bolster ( the correct name for a Spanish breech ) they wanted to have me weld it up then drill and tap a new nipple hole. (this was after we had tried the over size nipple route) so we pulled the clean out screw and then inserted a tight fitting brass rod (not threaded) and proceeded to plug weld the bolster closed then pull the brass rod chase the threads ( if needed tap drill before tapping ) then mark and drill the new nipple hole . was this easier? I'm not sure as far as time no, but didn't have to make a new bolster and install it then bore drill it prior to marking and drilling the nipple hole. the customer took it to the local shoot ( 350 miles away ) last week and put almost 100 rounds through it and was happy with the results. I would say that with more practice doing it this way it might end up being about half the price of a new bolster.

Yes I have with no luck. But I just refined my search at gun works and found the CVA Spanish drums which should work, and they’re cheap! I’ll call them to see what they say about the match. Thanks for the prod.
look at my previous reply to your post unless the "drums" your looking have to be line bored from the muzzle they are not a proper replacement for your gun

Big rain and snow today so one old powder horn project got completed. It’s the wife’s horn. It only took me 4 years to end up in her good graces. She likes it!
I had a bonus moment when I was trying to light the horn to take photos. If you notice. the horn lights up when it’s lit from behind.
The initial scraping of the horn for carving did make that magic happen. The old timers wanted everything they carried to be as light and as strong as possible.
On to the next lingering muzzleloader project.
It looks great!

It’s made by “Marty’s Arms”. They make a very large list of calibers in that type, and yes, you fill it and then flip it over and pour it from the other side.
Ha ha. I was about to say ignore them as you have a special interest in mould I needed a .510 380gr ml bullet. Bit of a struggle getting it right. Put it in three jaw chuck 5 times doing a lead cast each time. Done finished this morning test . Whatever enjoy

Attachments

• 08536688-42E4-44DE-BFA8-D79034E1D19F.jpeg
    08536688-42E4-44DE-BFA8-D79034E1D19F.jpeg
    970.3 KB
  • BB18F595-0C1D-490F-B89B-AAD36090847F.jpeg
    BB18F595-0C1D-490F-B89B-AAD36090847F.jpeg
    1.1 MB
  • 454AE3E9-0991-44A3-9220-B91D9C7E8F9E.jpeg
    454AE3E9-0991-44A3-9220-B91D9C7E8F9E.jpeg
    1.4 MB
  • 0FF9CB2F-3AB6-46FD-A12A-B63EA3EE9612.jpeg
    0FF9CB2F-3AB6-46FD-A12A-B63EA3EE9612.jpeg