• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the Investarm stock stained yesterday. I used Minwax special walnut because I had it. It didn’t work as well as the Birchwood Casey Walnut that I’m out of. I’ll start applying True Oil today. I made a nipple wrench for my revolvers out of spare 1/4” deep socket because the Traditions nipple wrenches aren’t worth the packaging they come in. I filed the notch by hand then turned the OD on the lathe. Now I’m resting these three herniated discs.
I like the way you supported the stock for finishing. Gonna be doing it that way in the future. :thumb:

I've been thinking about ways to make nipple wrenchs. That's slick. I'd probably have to anneal it to work it with hand tools. My nipple wrenchs gradually dissappear during cleaning sessions with the grandkids. 🤣 I hope they get future use out of them.

I like the way you supported the stock for finishing. Gonna be doing it that way in the future. :thumb:

I've been thinking about ways to make nipple wrenchs. That's slick. I'd probably have to anneal it to work it with hand tools. My nipple wrenchs gradually dissappear during cleaning sessions with the grandkids. 🤣 I hope they get future use out of them.
The socket actually filed nicely by hand.

More shaping and started on inletting the patch box.

Attachments

• 20240814_124357.jpg
    20240814_124357.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240814_124402.jpg
    20240814_124402.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240814_124411.jpg
    20240814_124411.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I shot my TC New Englander .54 to dial in yesterday. I accomplished the mission. Dead on at 50 yards with 80 gr 3f. I’m thinking I’ll use it on a northern Wisconsin hunt this year. I still have plenty of venison from last year and am old enough to be indifferent to taking anything. Just the challenge is enough.

I hosted a club shoot at my place back in April, and at the last club meeting, a club member asked if I’d found an errant loading block somewhere on the woods walk course. I hadn’t thus far.

On this past Sunday, while tuning up for this coming weekend’s club shoot by shooting my course (and enjoying the perfect weather we had for the weekend,) dang if I didn’t stumble into it. When I notified him I’d found it, it turned out he’d actually lost two.

Today, I took a leisurely stroll around the course, staring intently at the ground almost the whole way around. I found the second one on the opposite side of the trail a good 6-8 feet from where I’d found the first. Yea!

image0.jpeg

Of course, it wasn’t all fun and games. At one point, while looking down, I walked into a spider web, and the spider was so close to my face hanging off my hat brim that the brown blob looked as big as a golf ball. For a millisecond my brain was going, “YAAAAAAA!” until I knocked my hat off and realized it was just a little woods spider. All good! Whew.

🫨

been cleaning the guns from yesterdays shoot those 32's are a pain in the butt to keep shooting with the fouling build up
I have a couple of 32’s I like to shoot and I used to use just a tight fitting damp patch around the ball and after 4-5 shots it became very hard to seat the ball. Started putting a 1/8” Durofelt wad soaked in olive oil over the powder and used a wetter patch and now I can shoot 30 shots without swabbing the bore. Wad seems to help prevent a crud ring from forming at the bottom and wetter patch helps keep fouling in the bore to a minimum.

My 13 year old shot his new CVA Frontier for the first time!! He was gifted it on this birthday last Sunday! The first three shots were grouped great! Then he started using the set trigger and it got to much in his mind! He started pulling the shots!!

Attachments

• IMG_7079.jpeg
    IMG_7079.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
My 13 year old shot his new CVA Frontier for the first time!! He was gifted it on this birthday last Sunday! The first three shots were grouped great! Then he started using the set trigger and it got to much in his mind! He started pulling the shots!!
That’s great shooting! He’s only gonna get better! I’d be making sure the freezer has room for a deer and find him a youth hunt.

Finished rereading John Curry's Rockhouses and Rhododendron Vol 2. The narrative of returning to the places mentioned in historical accounts in a period correct manner. Going as far as to arrange to have Native American historical reenactors hunt for them. Not a "How to do" book but a taste of what happened then and how it feels to retrace that ground now.

That’s great shooting! He’s only gonna get better! I’d be making sure the freezer has room for a deer and find him a youth hunt.
His older brother and him hunt youth season, general gun and late muzzleloader with me! He really liked his new CVA because it’s lighter than my GPR! Often time during general gun and youth season/weekend he has chosen my 30-30 lever gun because it fits him well. But he’s pretty gun ho about his new CVA! He also tends to be very calm and collected when a deer shows up!

That's a great gift!
I can’t take much credit for this one other than being willing to reach out!! This gun was a gift from Deerstalker! Some of you may remember earlier in the year he had a CVA frontier for sale. Because he had sold several rifles in a short period of time he was feeling blessed and offered to give the frontier to a young shooter. I reached out to him on behalf of my son because we had hoped to give him a muzzleloader for Christmas this year. Deerstalker followed through and mailed us the frontier! We decided to give it to him on his birthday instead of Christmas that way he can hunt this year with it! We are blessed!!

I purchased a double barrel swivel rifle a year or so ago. Both barrels were loaded with rust, so I figured while it was an interesting rifle the odds of me ever actually using it was slim. Even got a container of Evaporust but never got around to using it.
Recently came across the posting by Phil Coffens in the smoothbore forum called " Adventures with Evaporust". Took notice of the video there and decided to give it a try on the bores (couldn't hurt). 1.4 oz. of A&H Laundry, 3.5 oz of Pure Citric Acid and 36 fluid ounces of warm water with a bit of Dawn dish soap. Carefully poured it into the barrels (didn't want to see what it would do to the bluing ???) then waited an hour before rinsing it out.........Unbelievable ..... Seriously ..... both barrels are clear of any rust and are clean as a whistle. Camera is not that great hopefully you will be able to see the results. WZ

Attachments

• 100_3496.JPG
    100_3496.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_3498.JPG
    100_3498.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3499.JPG
    100_3499.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 0
I purchased a double barrel swivel rifle a year or so ago. Both barrels were loaded with rust, so I figured while it was an interesting rifle the odds of me ever actually using it was slim. Even got a container of Evaporust but never got around to using it.
Recently came across the posting by Phil Coffens in the smoothbore forum called " Adventures with Evaporust". Took notice of the video there and decided to give it a try on the bores (couldn't hurt). 1.4 oz. of A&H Laundry, 3.5 oz of Pure Citric Acid and 36 fluid ounces of warm water with a bit of Dawn dish soap. Carefully poured it into the barrels (didn't want to see what it would do to the bluing ???) then waited an hour before rinsing it out.........Unbelievable ..... Seriously ..... both barrels are clear of any rust and are clean as a whistle. Camera is not that great hopefully you will be able to see the results. WZ
That’s an incredible result!

this makes an old man smile. keep him at it.
I don't/didn't have a son, so this is the next best.

Contemplating checking the handle on my Hawken pistol. Good hot humid day to to research inside. Will probably practice on a Derringer first. I know it's probably not correct but who's to know.
starting right with that tome. i picked it up after checkering for 30 years or so and it completely changed my process.

am going to use that formula on my over/under .36 over 20gauge.

Latest posts

Back