• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy Charlie and I had a great day shooting our rifles and original Civil War muskets. I got my newly finished .62 British Officers Carbine sighted in and hitting dead on at 55 yards using .610 round ball, .018 ticking spit patch and 80 grains Scheutzen 2f powder.
This is Charlie smacking the 50 yard gong with the carbine and that’s my 50 yard bench target. 3 out of 4 in the X isn’t bad for me 🙂
Weather was perfect as well. What a day!

Attachments

• IMG_2308.mov
    14.4 MB
  • IMG_2309.jpeg
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
talked to John at track about missing parts shipment. figured 21 days was indicative of a lost order.
he said it will be kicked upstairs for consideration. hope i don't have to switch the build to something else.
Had the same delay on an order a year or so ago. Was told to wait 6 weeks, wasn’t happy at all. But the order showed up a couple of days later.

Got caught up on my chores yesterday so I started back on the .36 SMR. This will be my first .36 and I thought a good bore polish would speed the break in process and help reduce some fouling. Haven’t done the bore yet, but the muzzle had some machine marks to remove and I wanted to thumb polish the crown, or in the case of the .36, a finger tip polish. Also got up the nerve to decorate the muzzle. I copied the idea for the punch guide from somebody here but I don’t remember who, to long ago, but he gets the credit as it worked great. Getting ready to work on the bore.

Attachments

• IMG_3876.jpeg
    IMG_3876.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3879.jpeg
    IMG_3879.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3887.jpeg
    IMG_3887.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3883.jpeg
    IMG_3883.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3886.jpeg
    IMG_3886.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 0
question Thad, do you like the displacement method better than material removal ie. drill or mill bit for the decoration?
i used a 1/16 inch end mill. worked but that punch setup looks like the cats meow!
This was my first attempt so I’ve never used an end mill. Using the punch I did get slight bulges around each hole, but some 220 grit wrapped on a flat file took care of the high spots. Then I did the same with 400 and 600 grit to smooth it out.

I went over the bore throughly with JB paste, cleaned it out, then about 60 strokes with JB bore shine and cleaned it out too. Couldn’t get a good photo, AAA won’t fit in that .36 barrel!! But think I did some good. One things for sure, that barrel will never be this clean ever again. Now I got to start draw filing.

Attachments

• IMG_3896.jpeg
    IMG_3896.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 0
Did some stock shaping and rough sanding on an old CVA Frontier kit I'm putting together for a granddaughter. The parts are all fitted so I worked on the brass with files and sandpaper. Finished off with a wheel and jewlers Rouge.

20240530_172124_copy_800x260.jpg

Also received in the mail from @Century to late the loan of his dovetail tool. So, thanks Tyler 😊

Back