• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Presented my granddaughter with her (belated) birthday gift. Just completed CVA Frontier kit (2000 vintage). Since I was sick throughout much of the visit we weren't able to hit the range but she will be back again this summer so we can do an intensive training session.

Only one grandchild left to go! 😀

View attachment 327128
Sorry to hear you was under the weather and didn't get any shooting in. That's a birthday present that makes memories that will last for ever!

Last edited:
got some more range time in this morning before the heat. Big improvement from my last outing. Third pic from left was last outing, last on right is from today

Attachments

• DSC00299.JPG
    DSC00299.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00275 - Copy.JPG
    DSC00275 - Copy.JPG
  • DSC00303.JPG
    DSC00303.JPG
  • DSC00296.JPG
    DSC00296.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Didn't turn out bad for my fist time casting. Temp leveled out around 760 on the PID. Base of bullets filled out and look nice. Slightly wrinkly, but will go through my sizing die to fit the TC Hawken barrel Mr. Hoyt is doing for me. I'm sending him a few bullets because he asked me too so he can measure them.
1000001340.jpg

1000001339.jpg

1000001338.jpg

Attachments

• 1000001339.jpg
    1000001339.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
BS2366, weigh them, keep the heavy ones that are the same weight, recast the rest.
The base needs to be full, sharp edges no rounded ones.
All the bases look good. Sharp and flat. All measure .503. Haven't weighed any yet and don't think I have a scale.

Just loaded some powder tubes with 2f T7. Cleaned the oil out my New Englander barrel, took the Knight Red hot nipple out and oiled the threads good. Heading out to burn some powder tomorrow. Might take Investarms Hawken a long too. Range report to follow.

I did a fair bit, actually. Since last night, I did a little really fine sanding on the stock, then I mounted my coin / medallion and cleaned off the excess adhesive once dry. Next step is a lot of elbow grease and Renaissance wax.

This morning, I placed an order for a powderhorn kit appropriate to the general era and location I'm gradually working towards (my local area during the fur trade). I also ordered what I need to make a small pan primer out of a horn roll to replace the brass one that split. Yes, I know...priming horns and flasks (and our modern granulations of powder) weren't around until much later...but I like the convenience and I'm going to try to make it as low key / unobtrusive as I can by using the horn roll, which won't be as flashy/eye catching as a brass pan primer and I can still stash in my shooting bag.

At this rate, I may actually get a chance to hurl some lead this summer ;)

I did the same exact thing on my woodsrunner. Started dark and ended up working it back just like yours. I love it. Did all my steel parts just the same. Screws and all.

Dr put me on some new pill. woke up this morning feeling like an extra in the walking dead. took until 10 to get moving. then the wife gave me some Ice cream for a birthday treat. feel like a poisoned pup.
made a 48 inch 3/8 inch drill bit to drill Ram Rod holes. took about 3 hours to make it, remake it, then start over and make it again. finally success. drilled the RR hole and came within 1/16 inch of where it was planned.
tapered a hickory stick to fit . next is the thimbles and entry pipe. now the fun starts, shaping and trimming the thing.
it has been a pleasure to work with walnut again. have made more unmentionable stocks of walnut than i can remember, but this is the first long rifle walnut stock for me.

Got out in the desert today ( lava flows actually). Turned my preloads into smoke and holes in paper. Had to adjust sights for round balls from conicals. Put seven shots through these holes at 53 yards. I've had worse days.

Attachments

• IMG_20240619_105335653.jpg
    IMG_20240619_105335653.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240619_094625902.jpg
    IMG_20240619_094625902.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Like the last couple of days spending some time at the bench. Working on a Kebler Colonial in 54cal. Making good progress.
You are going to love that rifle. Definitely!
Here’s mine, also in .54.

Attachments

• IMG_1896.jpeg
    IMG_1896.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1905.jpeg
    IMG_1905.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1903.jpeg
    IMG_1903.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1904.jpeg
    IMG_1904.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1902.jpeg
    IMG_1902.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1906.jpeg
    IMG_1906.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1912.jpeg
    IMG_1912.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Unpacked an 1851 "Colt" repo with an extra cylinder bought last month from Midway. Covered in packing grease and encased in anti-rust plastic sack, it's tough to get a good look at it. To be totally honest, even removing the packing oil, etc. might be better left for the next owner, rather than me. I have other percussion pistols to shoot and it's been many years since I even had someone to shoot with, so there it sits. Another safe queen. Old guys buying things we'll never use, re-living the past with long-gone companions. Spending the kids' inheritance. ARGHH!

Maybe he prettiest "Colt" repo I've owned. 7 3/8" .44 barrel, checkered walnut grips, case hardened, deep high-polish blue and brass backstrap all just "nice". Some gun snobs scorn Pietta, but like most makers, they are capable of (and do) putting forth nice product. This looks nice.

Back