• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shot my Kibler Colonial 50 at the monthly members target. only the second session with that rifle.
I need to shoot it more. it shoots so well that i am taking it hunting. It reminds me of my wife. drop dead beautiful and full of fire.
also reduced the wood on the left side of the current build. then started a complete sanding. just waiting for the patch box cover. have it out for engraving.
20240913_164602 (1).jpg

It was great meeting @TarponStalker and his son, and shooting with them. He did a great job on his Woodsrunner, and I was honored to host its maiden firing. It was also my first time to shoot a flintlock, so I had that ulterior motive.
Who knew that the first forum member I would meet and shoot with would come all the way from Florida!
It was also great to take a day off work for something besides other work, although I did have to replace a toilet after my guests left.

Last edited:
Anti Cancer infusion Tuesday, you get used to it after 2 years . I’ll stop winging Heavy rain and hot sun west of London

Went down to old workshop and big lathe and turned up some breach plugs converting new cartridge 28 bore barrels to Ml. I tapped the breaches 11/16” photos on a previous string Next to fit them to my .36

double rifle . It’s all straightforward for me. This two sets of ml barrels, .36 rifled and 28bore shotgun I’ll have to go over the threads by hand as they are too tight

At last threads mate perfect ,
Thinking today breach bush and nipple positions and tapping 5/16 holes

I tried to set it up on the vertical mill but not happy. So it was back to angle grinder and my eye. I am getting there. To imitate a nipple, I’ll epoxy a tube , after lining it up , with hammer , get it in place then use it as a drill kid , got a screw for the moment , need to work on the scollops with a grinding bit in my dremmil. Something that cannot be rushed. Enjoy. Sunny day 27 miles west of London At least I have .36 barrels to copy
Not very good at this job but it’s done , Cutting and shaping breach plug hooks, 28 bore cartridge shotgun barrel, conversion, onto my .36 double muzzle loading rifle

Thinking about nipple scollops in breach plugs , tried vertical mill and gave up. So back to my eye and angle grinder, getting there but need more work with dremmil. I’ll make some imitation nipples epoxied in place as drill jigs

Attachments

• 897873FE-0CBC-437D-A827-5E245273CD0F.jpeg
    897873FE-0CBC-437D-A827-5E245273CD0F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • FE73E5CA-D231-4896-9302-419FC396F396.jpeg
    FE73E5CA-D231-4896-9302-419FC396F396.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 9FCCB01C-6876-4D89-AAB3-9B7D2672EBFE.jpeg
    9FCCB01C-6876-4D89-AAB3-9B7D2672EBFE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 4E3C606C-5113-4DB4-BB5A-752186981A26.jpeg
    4E3C606C-5113-4DB4-BB5A-752186981A26.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 0C45BB6D-56C9-40CF-B7DF-397FBEE45492.jpeg
    0C45BB6D-56C9-40CF-B7DF-397FBEE45492.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Back at the double mule ear. Got the lock completely inlet. Ground off the cups that smack the cap on the nipples, they were toast. Silver brazed on new ones that I made. Still have to do some internal tuning on the lock. One main spring is a little lose and the other is a little strong, will make some tapered shims for this. Then on to figuring out the pivot point for the trigger, as sear pivots back, not up!

Attachments

• 20240914_113508.jpg
    20240914_113508.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240914_113519.jpg
    20240914_113519.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back at the double mule ear. Got the lock completely inlet. Ground off the cups that smack the cap on the nipples, they were toast. Silver brazed on new ones that I made. Still have to do some internal tuning on the lock. One main spring is a little lose and the other is a little strong, will make some tapered shims for this. Then on to figuring out the pivot point for the trigger, as sear pivots back, not up!
Cut some pillow ticking patches for slim my 58 smoothbore so when my mould arrives I’m ready to just make balls an go try em out .😊

Shot my .45 cal SMR mainly to get more practice with bipod shooting sticks, also to tweak the sights if able. Grouping at 100 yds was pretty good, but never did get the sights dialed in before running out of time and energy. You don't want to shoot when mental focus lacks as that's a sure-fire dry ball. Finished up with a couple shots at the 100 yds gongs but POA hold for POI not being fine-tuned I missed both shots, but just by a tad. One other shooter there was pretty impressed with the SMR's accuracy at 100 yds, and I offered to let him shoot it, but he declined.

Drove 'over the hill' to shoot with the Marlborough Club - event was 10 shots at100m - Benched on UIT target - just for fun I shot my Rudyard made 40 cal Bedford - was up against slug firing aperture sighted rifles but managed to burgle the top score!! I guess some days the gods of shooting smile at you!! Notwithstanding winning; it was a great day on a corker of a range with a good bunch of guys - Duncnz included.

Spent the day at Friendship for the Fall National shoot. My son won 3rd place back in June for the NMLRA spring nationals Junior Woodswalk shoot. We picked up his medal yesterday. We did some shopping for buttplates and trigger guards for future builds. I also found a book I've been looking for about Longrifle Gunsmiths of Western PA. John Cory's (a cousin of mine) story and flintlock he built is in the book. We did some shooting with Loja Man who brought me one of the Patch Knives he made for me in trade for the Fowler I'm building for him. He did a fantastic job! My son shot some Trap and we both shot the silhouettes.
1726406640067.png

1726407770256.png

1726408713932.png

1726406964176.png

Polished up 2 CVA barrels one 15/16", one 1" filed the hateful v notch in a CVA underbarrel rib took a left hand Cabelas barrel to the gunsmith...I cannot get the breech plug out...broke my vise trying... got a new vise... replaced the coil spring and rod in the left hand lock ...filed on the CVA mountain rifle breech to better fit the GPR breech plug...searched my parts....found the TC Cherokee parts bag...freed up the sear plunger. amd washed my hands about a million times getting the the file dust out...and stuff I forget.
C21EEC59-BF9F-4A96-9E58-B7F7E1CC45FA_1_201_a.jpeg. The new vise. the cabellas .50 barrel. The files were a bunch of rusty OLD files I soaked in vinegar. They work good.

Did some shooting with my Frontier caplock. Had a great outing, hit darn near everything I shot at. 50 yds to 130 yds, steel took a beating today! Most of the berries around my camp have been eaten, likely bears. There's a couple of bushes still have some but once they are gone it's time to camp again.

Latest posts

Back