• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot the first woods walk of the season at Boulder Valley. I used my old Numrich Arms Hopkins & Allen .45 Heritage Model underhammer. I got 15 out of 20. The course is a bit more difficult than last year.

101324-underhammer.jpg

My load was 50 grains of 3Fg with a .433 ball patched in .018 pillow ticking, lubed with Mr. Flintlock. Didn't need to swab during the match and cleanup afterwards was a snap.

Did a little more stitching on a shooting pouch. Can't say how long I've been working on it since I've lost track. Not the pinnacle of craftsmanship, I know, but it's something to do in the evenings by the fire. Made from scraps cut from an old leather jacket. I'm calling it the "Frankenpouch."
It has character.

CEDF5EC5-283D-4647-A760-210A6597614F.jpeg
BD12E847-5CC2-4184-8564-1D57C78FBCFB.jpeg

Received my long gun case from Jim Kibler. This is made for him by the guys at uniquecases.com I tried to order directly from them but they don’t ship to Canada. Thankfully Mr Kibler was happy to take my money. Just wanted a soft shell case for taking my gun in the canoe. Also pictured are two new ramrods I ordered from track, one hickory and one Delrin. I got the rammers in 3/8 which is too big for my thimbles but I like to whittle them into a taper myself. An untapered ramrod feels off balance to me.

Today I drilled and tapped the thumb piece. This was cast by Dave Person. This thumb piece has a "Boss" that is tapped and bolted through the wrist. The bolt is hidden under the trigger guard. I modified a bolt to fit. The bolt is good to go and I have started inletting the piece. Ignore the rough drawing of the tang carving. That was a quick sketch just to see how the thumb piece will look with the carving. I'll refine that later.
1000006198.jpg

1000006201.jpg

1000006200.jpg

1000006199.jpg

dug in 15 drawers looking for a 45 cal jag with 10 pitch threads.
pawed past a nice little zebra wood box with silver latch at least a dozen times.
finally for kicks and to refresh my memory of what was in that box, I looked. several dozen Jags, adapters, extensions of all sizes.
being old sucks.
put the one i was needing on the new RR i had to make after being stupid and breaking the very nice one I HAD in my SMR. noticed that the new RR could double for a plew stretcher.
brought it in and heated it in the vent on my wood stove until it was too hot to touch.
Put it in the pipes and channel of the smr to cool. much mo better!
Have to agree with being old part .

Our Sons of the American Revolution Chapter held a wreath ceremony today for Rev War Vet John Finley.
We had 46 in attendance.
Not too shabby for being 30 miles away from civilization in eastern KY.

View attachment 355024View attachment 355025View attachment 355026View attachment 355027View attachment 355028View attachment 355023
That was very nice! The echo of the shots fired and the smoke rolling. Bet the hills were echoing.thank you for sharing. Great tribute to a HERO

Back