• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot the first woods walk of the season at Boulder Valley. I used my old Numrich Arms Hopkins & Allen .45 Heritage Model underhammer. I got 15 out of 20. The course is a bit more difficult than last year.

101324-underhammer.jpg

My load was 50 grains of 3Fg with a .433 ball patched in .018 pillow ticking, lubed with Mr. Flintlock. Didn't need to swab during the match and cleanup afterwards was a snap.

Did a little more stitching on a shooting pouch. Can't say how long I've been working on it since I've lost track. Not the pinnacle of craftsmanship, I know, but it's something to do in the evenings by the fire. Made from scraps cut from an old leather jacket. I'm calling it the "Frankenpouch."
It has character.

CEDF5EC5-283D-4647-A760-210A6597614F.jpeg
BD12E847-5CC2-4184-8564-1D57C78FBCFB.jpeg

Received my long gun case from Jim Kibler. This is made for him by the guys at uniquecases.com I tried to order directly from them but they don’t ship to Canada. Thankfully Mr Kibler was happy to take my money. Just wanted a soft shell case for taking my gun in the canoe. Also pictured are two new ramrods I ordered from track, one hickory and one Delrin. I got the rammers in 3/8 which is too big for my thimbles but I like to whittle them into a taper myself. An untapered ramrod feels off balance to me.

Today I drilled and tapped the thumb piece. This was cast by Dave Person. This thumb piece has a "Boss" that is tapped and bolted through the wrist. The bolt is hidden under the trigger guard. I modified a bolt to fit. The bolt is good to go and I have started inletting the piece. Ignore the rough drawing of the tang carving. That was a quick sketch just to see how the thumb piece will look with the carving. I'll refine that later.
1000006198.jpg

1000006201.jpg

1000006200.jpg

1000006199.jpg

Back