• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What range do you zero for deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50 yards dead on with 6 o'clock hold.

.54 cal 32 inch GM 1:70 twist barrel.
90 grains Goex 2f
Lubed felt wad
Ticking lubed with Moose Milk
.535 RB

HD

I like a 50 yd zero and then shoot it at 25, 75, and 100yds to see where it hits. I try to limit my open sight deer hunting to 75yds. Under the right circumstances I would shoot 100yds with a rest and a perfect broadside shot,and no wind.
Longball 58

PGTMG said:
Looking to see what range people choose as a zero for deer hunting with iron sights? Thx
I deer hunt in fairly thick woods so all mine are zeroed dead on at 50yds...typical shot is 35-50yds

Dead center at 100 yards for ML, .520 PRB over 120 gr.

275 for center fire. (Good to 300, 3 hi at 100)

I'm also an inch and a half high at 50, dead on at 75 and about 2 inches low at 100...That's with 80grs Goex FFF, a .530 ball, .018 ticking and Moose's lube...

Gotta get back out and work with the rifle I decided to hunt with this year (50 cal, 80 gr Goex 3f, .490 ball and ticking). Our regular shooting range is only 35 yards long, and I had sighted the rifle a "skosh" high there until I could confirm further out at another range. Kinda surprised me today that it's running about 3" low at 65 yards, the distance we happened to set the targets.

Guess it's time to get serious and do it right. Back to the range ASAP and regulate it right on at 75, which is where I have my 54s and 58s. No plans to shoot deer past 50, but nice to be able to stretch things a bit if I have to.

I'm dead on at 100 yards. Puts me about 3" high at 50.

Works forme too with .50 and .54 and with anything from 70 to 100 grains of ff or fff. Does not make much difference. Puts them just about dead on at 100 even though I;m not a 100 yard field shot, it makes for an acceptable center hold on deer or elk.

I use a Lyman 57 SML peep. The Lyman can be easly moved so a guy can sight it in for any yardage. It is has a scale on the side that is numbered. So I can sight in for 50, 100, 150, 200. Since the sight is sighted in for each of those yardages all I have to do is take a range finder get the range and set the sight to that yardage and hold dead on. Ron

I do a lot of competition shooting and use light loads at 25 and 50 yards. The load I use for 100 yard competition is the one I use for hunting. This gives me the power I'm comfortable with and the range for the wide open spaces out here. For anything closer in, which is most of the time, I just hold a little lower.

I use a Traditions Deerhunter which has a fieber sight mounted. With this sight it is possible to aim very well in the evening. The rifle is sighted in at 50 meters center. The good thing is that no matter what bullets I use (PRB, conical, s...t) the impact is the same.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I sight in dead on at 25 yards. With most hunting loads that will put you an inch or two high at 50, close to dead-on again at around 75, and a couple inches low at 100. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back