• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Remington 1858 to Buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Pietta and it has been good. I haven’t shot any other ones to be able to tell you if it is any better or worse than another one but I have had no problems with it.

I have an Uberti, made in 2017. It’s the 8” model. I love it, I ring steel on my range at 75 yards, 12x16 plate. My Uberti has a dovetail front sight. This is a plus for me. I don’t believe the Pietta has this.

Group,

I am looking to purchase a new Remington 1858. Opinions on brand?
Highest Quality is my goal, and it would be used as a shooter, not a wall hanger.

Marc
Uberti was the brand to buy at one time. Pietta has upped its game. As a general statement, Uberti’s tend to look better, but Pietta’s seem to have fewer issues. While you are only asking about 1858s, Uberti has more platforms in their offerings. Look up posts by @45D for a perspective from someone who works on these replica handguns. Personally own a number of both Pietta and Uberti. Most any issue you encountered can be corrected. Comes down to your time or money, at least for me. Then there is what suits your fancy and fits your hand.

We have four piettas two in 36 and two in 44 all shoot nicely.
Most recently picked up a target model from bud's and it shoots real tight I may grab another one of those.

Group,

Highest Quality is my goal, and it would be used as a shooter, not a wall hanger.

Marc
Pedersoli is the best one. If you only wanna shoot round ball then pietta will do. If you think you may want to try conicals then uberti is it. The piettas the rammer extends into the loading port and personally i cant stand that. It also has a slower twist rate.I have an uberti, one in 44 and one in 36. I haven't had any issues and they shoot great. That and pietta doesn't have the dovetail front sight, so if your gun doesn't hit POA your SOL. Pedersoli is the gun the others wish they were. It's what the competitors over seas use and almost always what the winners use. It's in a whole other league though. About a $1300 dollar league. I will get one sooner or later.

Last edited:
Pietta does the dovetail front sight now as well the loading lever latch is still press fit.

Great insights! Unrelated site question: why are there pages posted publicly "you (I) am not authorized to view?" Paygate? What? Tastes sour...
Maybe check out the link below. Just additional stuff you can’t access right now. Personal opinion, but if all you are interested in is traditional muzzleloading, you may be good with what you have access to. If peaking under the hood and engaging in other maybe not what one would always call traditional muzzleloading topics, consider signing up and paying a bit for that privilege . https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/account/upgrades

Last edited:
My stainless Uberti has been flawless.

I like how they hide the BP warnings on the underside of the barrel.

Have you considered the Ruger OA?

Not a pure 1858 but exceptional quality.
There was one for sale here recently at a great price.

My Uberti:

8EFF4D0E-7D55-428C-A743-8A8DC28ACBD2.jpeg

The general opinion seems to be that if you intend to shoot it a lot, stay away from the brass frame versions.

Regarding contributing to the forum, the membership is very reasonable and allows you to access the boards that you found restricted. Money well spent for what I consider the best forum that I ever belonged to, and I belong to quite a few.

BTW, as someone else noted, the Ruger Old Army is an extremely well made BP revolver and yes there have been many excellent deals on this site to pick one up.

Group,

I have a [REDACTED] 1858 with two spare cylinders. The gunsmiths at The Muzzleloader Shop in Berryville, AR milled a swaging bevel into each cylinder’s mouth, loading cone, did some hammer work, and I forget what else. It is an absolute gem to shoot.

Whichever brand you buy, a good tuning by an experienced BP gunsmith can turn a shooter into a premium SHOOTER.

My two cents: makes little difference quality-wise which maker you start with if you let someone with know-how optimize it.

Worth it.

Latest posts

Back