• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Zoar, I'd then be in trouble for importing parts/building firearms. I that said I am starting to look into transporting firearms into the uk. For now though I think I'll settle for something a little inauthentic until I can scrape together the cash and have sufficient brownie points with the misses to import a custom flintlock from the states.

Yeoman, the paperwork you Brits have to deal with just to have a gun to shoot is unbelievable to me. I wish you well.

BTW, I know you say that you don't like Bess's but they are more fun than any other gun that I own. I have a Pedersoli Bess Carbine. It isn't really a copy of any one carbine in particular, but there seems to have been a lot less standardization in the carbines of the time as opposed to the long guns.

My Pedersoli carbine has hit targets out to 230 yards, (1 out of four shots, pure luck combined with lots of practice). It is also extremely strong and reliable, I once mistakenly shot off about 1400 grains of 2F in it. It knocked me down but the gun didn't take any damage so I know the barrels are strong.

Many Klatch

Thanks again guys, I persuaded my better half to let me go along to my favourite gunsmiths after new year to take a look at his wares so I'll let you know what I come up with. It will be got to get a little bit of hands on, see what the various contenders feel like and so on before making a decision.

Klatch, it's not so hard to get hold of firearms, I've just got my shotgun certificate through without any difficulty though I'm lucky enough to have a military armoury to store my guns in which makes life easier. The funniest part was when the police firearms officer came round to sign me off, said there was no need to see the armoury and we wound up spending an hour chatting over tea and cake about local clubs, good local dealerships and the shocking driving of some of the people in the local area.

"and we wound up spending an hour chatting over tea and cake about local clubs, good local dealerships and the shocking driving of some of the people in the local area."

Ah yes, we do have plenty in common...

Hello. New here but am just wondering if Caywood Gunbuilders would be available to send you a smoothbore? They have some very nice pieces. Mine is a reproduction of a Wilson Chief's Trade gun in 20 guage. Era is around 1740. Great shooter, pretty authentic. Just a thought. :hatsoff:

Caywoods are generally at the lower end of the authentic list, particularly with the French guns and short barrels and small locks I donn't know if then offer walnut stocks which is a deal breaker if not.

Yeoman,

All I have to add is to make SURE to check the taper on that fusil if you go that route. Having a tapered barrel does have a profound effect on the handling of the gun.

I got burned on mine....

Back