• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to build next

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I am looking around to see what I want next. I would like to find out what gun or guns would be correct to have a large siler a 36 cal gun with maybe a little relief carving with a double set trigger patch box and a little bit of relief carving maybe an inlet here and there. I think I am going to go with one of the 44 inch rice barrels if that helps. I want to build a gun from a blank that would be as PC as possible and so once I have a gun picked out that would be able to have these parts and keep its PCnes I will buy a drawing so that I may transfer it to my blank when I cut it. I was also wondering if the Colonial Virginia Flintlock and the other one like it would only work with a single trigger. Sorry for such the long post! :surrender:

Ian,

Look at the low country North Carolina guns. They fit what you're talking about in terms of bore, carving, inlays and patchbox.

Sean

Hey Ian,
Good to see that you are already thinking about your next build, you must be hooked. Hey the best thing you can do before you pick up any parts is to figure out what you want to build, you don't necessarily need to nail every detail but the parts you buy neeed to fit the project. If you are wanting to build a pre rev war Virginia gun and keep it PC, .36 caliber would be way small. On the other hand if you want a .36 there are lots of later period rifles that will work well with the Siler lock.
Of course if being 100% period correct isn't an issue, do what ever you like.
I guess what I'm getting at is I think you might want to get a good idea of where you are headed before you decide how to get there.
What part of Southern Ohio are you from? I'll be at a trade fair in Jackson County this January, the same week Hershel, John and Frank House will be there teaching a class on building southern rifles, you could stop in and have a look around . E mail me if you are interested I can send you some information

The gun I am almost done with is a tennessee. Is the North carolina gun similar to that? The one I am putting together is pretty plane no patch box no nose cap and only 2 ramrod thimbols.

Have you access to John Biven's book on NC rifles...I know Old Salem has them on hand as I was there last month...

A Vogler would be nice, but it's a little late for a large Siler and they didn't usually have much relief carving...I have the book, and remember a rifle in there by WC as well as a rifle made by Reavis or even a Kennedy...

All of these were 36-40 caliber, 40-44 inch barrels, some nice relief carving and stock molding as well as inlays...They were made about 1800-1820, here in the Piedmont...

What do you think of a Bucks Co./Lehigh valley rifle? I've been thinking about a .36 in that 44" barrel and it would look nice with some carving.

thats a nice one to. I probably wont do alot of carving just a small amount to see how it turns out since i have never done that before

Ian,

Look at the Issac Thompson gun on Mel Hankla's web page:
[url] http://www.americanhistoricservices.com/html/ky_longrifles.html[/url]

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a beautiful rifle but I think something like that would be a little above my skill level. I do like the patch box on the north carolina gun. I think I may be able to slowly inlet something like that

ian45662:
Seems to me based on the few books I have which show rifles from Virginia they tended to have English style flintlocks with their round pan bottoms and round or small teat rear contours. I would guess that the Carolina's rifles generally also had the English style locks?

If my guess is right, and because you said you wanted a PC rifle you might be better off to consider one of the Pennsylvania rifles which were more likely to use the German style lock that the Large Siler represents.

To be honest with you the style lock isnt as important to me as long as it is a chambers lock and I can use a double triger on it. Thing is the gun I am building now has a siler on it and as embarased as I am to admit this I am not sure what other locks of theirs are able to use a double trigger :redface:

I'm sure Dunlap or one of the suppliers will make what you want. Be aware they only make patterns for commonly made guns. If you want something unusual, individual, you will have to make it from a square blank.

I am collecting parts to build an early Va rifle with one of Rice's 44 inch 40 cal A weight barrels and a Chamber's Queen Anne pistol lock.

IMHO, the large Siler would be too big, too bulky to get that slim look with a slim 36 cal barrel.

The Queen Anne lock is 1/4 inch longer than the small Siler and 1/32 less wide. It also uses small Siler internals.

I would not trust a prepared drawing to provide the correct location and relationships between the various parts.

The parts in the drawing may not be the same parts you have, and that can throw off the architecture of the whole rifle.

I suggest choosing the style of rifle you want to build, choose the components, then make a drawing of the rifle with an outline of the components you bought. It's the components, and the relationship of the various components that create the architecture of the rifle, not the other way around.

If you don't already have them, the two volumes of "Rifles of Colonial America" are an absolute necessity for anyone wanting to build longrifles.

Pertinent dimensions of each rifle, necessary to recreate them, are included in each volume.

If you don't have it, Alexander's "Gunsmith of Grenville County" describes in great detail how to lay our a rifle and how to make your own drawings.
Good luck,
J.D.

Lots of folks make precarves without lock inlets. TOW, MBS and Pecatonica all sell these though I think they all come from Pecatonica. Tiger Hunt and Fred Miller sell blanks shaped from the lock panels back with the barrel and RR hole done. I'm sure there are others.

I suggested the NC piedmont guns because of the things you specified. The Thompson gun is one example and a great gun, but there are others that would fit whatever current skill level. Look at Whisker's book 'Gunsmiths of the Carolinas' for more examples. Here's a much more simple iron-mounted version from Guilford Co, NC that is also in the Whisker book:
[url] http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol1no3/articles/s_rifle.html[/url]

VA guns are also an option, but you won't find many Rev War or pre-war guns to work from in that size bore. Don't necessarily let that stop you though. If you want to go later, take a look at the Bogle rifle on Mel Hankla's page listed in my previous response.

Good luck planning your gun.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Back