• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Type Of Flintlock Is This?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From a scene in the film with John Wayne the Comancheros. The wide screen transfer of this film is really clean!

I want to say Blunderbuss, but it's not that!

flaredbarrel.jpg

Its a springfield Trapdoor modified by putting a Blunderbuss barrel on it, and with the stock shortened, of course. Hollywood at its finest, of course.

Its a Trapdoor Springfield prop gun. I can see the breechblock hinge and the shape of the lock.........I've seed trapdoor springfields used as Flintlock prop guns in the Movie "Mountain Men"..............Homemade...................Bob

Yep, it's supposed to be a Blunderbuss, but if you look closely you'll see that's it's one of the Hollywood mock-ups made from a Trapdoor Springfield with a faux flintlock hammer.

This appears to be one of the famous "spotter" Springfields with the four-cell Kel-Tec flashlight barrel featuring a self incandescent flint ignition system. Very rare, thankfully. :blah:

At least it looks like part of the lock is on the side ,often the whole tghing sits on top of the breech..

It didn't have anything to do with accuracy. These guns were point and shoot guns. The bell made it easier TO LOAD the barrel while the statecoach or carriage was bouncing over a rough road. Remember, they didn't have shock absorbers, and springs were a rare sight, also. Try riding in a hay wagon with no springs, or shocks over a hard road, trying to point anything, much less put a sock on your foot, and you have some idea of why these guns came into being.

Back