• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would YOU do?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wattsy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
After 20 to 40 years of hunting you harvest that "deer/elk of a lifetime" as you look down at your fallen quary and you KNOW that you have reached a pinnical that will most likely never be surpassed.

Do you A) mount the head to admire and remanise over for years to come?

OR do you B) use the antler to make an airloom craft (knife, powder measure, part of a hunting pouch, etc) to hand down for generations?

I think I am still in the "mount it" camp but have been questioning that and wonder what others might think....????

There is no RIGHT answer. Its your choice. Some people are into Mounts on the wall. Others really don't like mounts, and would rather make something useful. Pictures of the animal, the rack, etc. can preserve the memory of the hunt, and fit on more walls than will a shoulder mount.

I do have a friend who had to build an addition on to his house, so that the rack on a HUGE elk he killed could be displayed- a very costly trophy. However, he was ever so proud of that trophy that no one could blame him.

I just wondered then what other hunters would do with such a trophy if they did not have the financial ability to build a " trophy room" to display it. One option is to have the mount displayed at the local gun club, for all to appreciate, and where there are often taller ceilings to allow such a display.

I agree with Paul that there is no right choice in this. I however would mount it if it was the biggest I have ever gotten. The way I think of it is you can make a powder measure or knife or whatever off of a shed antler and still hand it down for generations because you still made it which makes it special. Some people I think take mounts way too far by mounting every deer that scores over 120. My thinking is I will only get a shoulder mount if it beats my new record. Currently I only have one shoulder mount on the wall in my room and one turkey fan and any other buck I get I just cut the skull plate off and mount it that way which is cheap and easy. I still like to have all the racks put together because holding the antlers in your hands gives you a better idea than a picture of it. Just my opinion though I can see how someone might not think a deer rack is as important.

Over the years I have been lucky to shoot several trophy animals. When I had my big bull mounted I had NO idea that the wolves would have such an impact on our hunting. Idaho used to be a place where you could find a trophy 300 class bull ANY place. My bull is 320, My daughters bull is 330 and I have three Muzzleloader mulies that make the record book. I didn't mount the last buck that was in outdoor life.
Both bulls are displayed at a local sporting goods store. The mulies are in my living room. The antelope I shot and the one my Dad got are also mounted.
I am probably done mounting big game. Unless I get one bigger than I already have. Again when the buck hits the dirt I know before I walk up what I am going to do. Ron

For me the choice is easy as I've run out of wall space. So unless it's a bigger boy than what I have, I do Euro mounts now or use the smaller ones antlers for something.

Never mounted one in my life...good color photos, plus the antlers cut off / tacked up on the walls of the garage do fine for me...started keeping them when I started with bow hunting then Flintlocks.

061910HornWall.jpg

mount it or at least keep the horns intact. You can have them mounted on another cape later on if you want. Larry Wv

I got my first buck mounted, First Buck But Then realized its not all about trophy size, so for the most part I now try to stick with Does and Cows First cow but I've thrown my hand in on the Bull elk draw a few times

I like the euro mount ...did this one with the buck I tagged with my recurve last year put it on a pieces of walnut my Pa cut years back ...still need to bleach the bone ,mybe get to it someday.

DSC04550.jpg

...nothing wrong with a good knife handle and powder measure though too.

I like to mount any buck larger than any of my previous kills. I try not to take a buck unless it is bigger than any I have shot before. This means I shoot alot of does. In Tn. they want us to shoot three does a day during the season. I also bleach out the skulls of any coyotes that I take and use them for decorations in my man cave. I really like all yalls pics of yalls trophies they are great. congrats on some fine animals. Good luck on future hunts.

Hell I can't afford it anymore. Used to be you could get a good shoulder mount from one of the best Taxidermists in this State for $350.00 and have it within 4 months, last I knew he was over $500.00 and over a years wait. And this guy gave up small game and fish just to concentrate on Deer and Bear. I'm sure he's well over $500 now as I haven't paid attention. He did one for me that was the State record BP Buck in 97' in the NBBC book but has since been eclipsed. I've come to really like Euro mounts because they cost so little to do and don't take up so much room. It would have to be a gigantic buck bigger than my 97' buck to even think about another mounted head.

Since I am a taxidermist I do my own mounts so if it was something I wanted to hang on the wall I'd mount it.

I have been accused of living in a "wildlife morgue" but we like it that way. :haha: Lots of fond memories of hunts gone by. :v
Dusty :wink:

Do you have the space and permission to keep a full shoulder mount? Do you like to dust and vacuum? On larger game high wall space is a must...They just look better that way.This for me would be the deciding factor.
I have done the Texas and Euro mount route..at a latter time you can always cut them up for projects...The 4 I have are in the man cave workshop..and yes they remind me of hunts gone by..Can't get myself to put a saw to them.
Your question is a hard one to answer.

makeumsmoke said:
Do you have the space and permission to keep a full shoulder mount? Do you like to dust and vacuum? On larger game high wall space is a must...They just look better that way.This for me would be the deciding factor.
I have done the Texas and Euro mount route..at a latter time you can always cut them up for projects...The 4 I have are in the man cave workshop..and yes they remind me of hunts gone by..Can't get myself to put a saw to them.
Your question is a hard one to answer.

For me too. :hmm: :haha:
I have one shoulder mount and room for ONLY one more (and THAT is with alot of whinning and negiotation on my part). I have my shed "covered" with "smaller ones", yet now as I am getting into the" craftsman side of things I am starting to lok at the antler a little differantly..... Still I think it would be hard to cut up a trophy cuz I do so like to hold the antlers and remember that day.

For myself,I'd hang the horns on the wall and take the money I saved from the mount and buy another muzzy! :grin:

I have done both. The 3rd deer I harvested was a real keeper ( biggest white tail I have ever seen, although there are many others larger). I had that one mounted at the erging of my brothers and hunting buddy and am glad I did. One bear mounted and nothing else. Have other heads in the skull mount method. Also have used antlers for all kinds of projects from lamps to door stops and clasps. Once gave a half pickup load of horns to a fellow that made stuff. I'm out of horns now.

Kinda like makemsmoke,
I have only one deemed worth saving, and that's just the skull cap from a 4x5 bow hunt.
I got the goosebumps just telling the story for the first few years,
Now after 20+ years they mean less to me,,They ARE nice thick,long beams,,and I've REALLY been looking at them differently, but I just can't bring myself to cut'm.
Even If I got a once in a lifetime,, :idunno: ,,I still think it would be just the rack,,

I would never cut up a realy nice rack , if not mounted I would save the rack, small racks & castoffs are for projects.
If I had a realy nice bull & no room to hang it at home a local restraunt/bar would be thrilled to display it at their establishment but then again this IS elk country.
At this time I have 2 mounts ,speedgoats, a doe that I got just shy of 100yds with my Contender &
a realy nice buck ,did not make book but looks better than very many that do, will be tuff to get a better looking one.

Latest posts

Back