• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would you do

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd8jgu

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at a flintlock when a friend called with 2 guns both less than a yr old
1 is a Kentucky Long rifle
the secound is a 32cal small game rifle
He also will throw in both possible bags filled to the rim and his molds and the supplies to go with it.
This package is lees then what the rifle I was going to buy ost
What would you do?

They are both traditions but have had some upgrades made along with some carving done on the stock
Package deal is a third less then the flintlock

I'm sure this won't help, but I would get what you really want. Sometimes you are looking for something and a suitable deal comes along. But, if you are really wanting the flintlock I would go with what you have your heart set on.

Having had a bad experience with a Traditions flintlock...

I would take the deal only if I knew I could double my money at least by unloading them first chance I got. This would give me more mad money to use for what I really want....but thats just me... :v

Swampy said:
Having had a bad experience with a Traditions flintlock...

I would take the deal only if I knew I could double my money at least by unloading them first chance I got. This would give me more mad money to use for what I really want....but thats just me... :v

I was kinda revved about the good deal till he used the "T" word, too. Bad experiences here, too, and I'd do the same. Move em on fast to up my fund pool.

Buy the best quality rifle you can afford, that way you'll never be disappointed. Same goes for most things, binoculars, cameras, fishing gear, etc etc.

Beware false economy. Most people buy something as a bargain, realise it's junk, sell it at a loss then buy what they really wanted in the first place, only now it's cost them extra to get it.

As I get older I find I want less gear but it has to be good quality.

Like they say, "You get what you pay for", but it may not be what you want. I would rather have one fine gun, than two anything made by Traditions.

When I was married, my wife would come home with all kinds of manure we didn't need. When I asked why she bought it, she would tell me, "It was on sale". Kinda what you're talking about here. Bill

If you get the Traditions Long Rifle, you can just about be sure you'll have to sand down the top of the comb on the rear of the stock because it is so high most normal people can't get their cheek down far enough to on the stock's comb to align the sights properly. Of course, once you sand the comb down, you'll have to re-stain, refinish and hopefully "blend-in" the refinished area with the original area on the back end of the stock... not all that much trouble, but still it isn't as easy as it sounds.

I had to do EXACTLY that on my flintlock Traditions Shenandoah Long Rifle with a 33½ inch barrel, but the rear of the stock is built the same way (with a high "Roman nose") as their Pennsylvania Long Rifle.

Other than that, the Shenandoah shoots very accurately, but I couldn't determine that until I sanded the comb down to the point wherein I could get my cheek down on the top of the stock and align the front and rear sights on the target.

The flintlock works "ok", the hammer spring and the spring on the frizzen are a bit heavy and could stand some "tuning", but worked ok as it came out of the box.

Overall fit and finish were very good on my Traditions rifle... and it is a really good looking rifle... a decent factory-made rifle for the cost if it works properly out-of-the-box.

On any used rifle that has been fired by it's owner, be SURE to check the rifle's bore to insure there is no "bulges" or rust.

Good luck on your choice, but be sure to make good smoke! :thumbsup:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

kd8jgu said:
They are both traditions but have had some upgrades made along with some carving done on the stock
Package deal is a third less then the flintlock

I'd pass and get what you really want as you will end up getting it anyway.

Kapow and Rat Trappers logic is sound. Get what you really want. You'll be happier in the long run.

Yep, get what you want, and you can also ask the guy what he'd take from a stranger for the rifles, and then help him find a person to buy the guns. I think sometimes folks waver over a "deal" when it isn't what they want, but they know the seller or the seller is a good friend. You can fix that feeling by helping them to find a buyer.

LD

As said before "If the deal is too good to be true then their is a problem with the deal". Why would this guy want to "give" you all the extras to sweeten the deal? Buy wat you want don't settle on two so-so rifles that may (will/do) have problems. :(

I may have missed it, but outside of the "flintlock" being more money then the two Traditions and the gear. To me it would be impossible to give advice unless I had more information. ? :idunno:
'

I to am of the opinion that you should buy the best you can afford, You'll never have buyers remorse.

here is all
The kentucky has new lock and gm barrel
.32 cal has new lock
Make of locks not sure yet
Gear
2 elk hide possible bags
1 hand carved horn
1 copper flask
2 antler measures
bullet board
basic loading stuff with range rods
2 lee .495 molds
2 .310 molds
Electric lead pot
20 lbs of lead

Buy what you want - it's your money. Sounds like you are swayed toward "the deal" - a lot of stuff there - will you use it? You are a big boy - do what you feel is right for you!

Kapow said:
Buy the best quality rifle you can afford, that way you'll never be disappointed. Same goes for most things, binoculars, cameras, fishing gear, etc etc.

Beware false economy. Most people buy something as a bargain, realise it's junk, sell it at a loss then buy what they really wanted in the first place, only now it's cost them extra to get it.

As I get older I find I want less gear but it has to be good quality.
Sound advice Kapow.

If it was me, and I thought I could make some money on it by reselling it, I would buy it. Make a little more money to put towards your goal. I got my Mountain rifle that way.Picked up a few rifles here and there, cleaned them up nice and put them on ebay. Made enough profit and bought all the parts to assemble a (CVA-Deer Creek) Mtn. Rifle. So if you take out the labor,I'm shooting a decent, very accurate, free rifle.

Latest posts

Back