• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your go to lube recipe?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried making some a while back I am not impressed with, was able to trade for a few very large globs of beeswax and would like to make some more. What do you use for yours? Do you have a summer and a winter mix?

Thanks guys

For my C&B revolvers, I use 50/50 beeswax and lambs tallow. Recently I've been using Tracks Mink oil in my long guns. I still have a good supply of Ballistol and water patches I mass produced a couple years ago.

For my C&B revolvers, I use 50/50 beeswax and lambs tallow. Recently I've been using Tracks Mink oil in my long guns. I still have a good supply of Ballistol and water patches I mass produced a couple years ago.
anywhere in particular you get lambs tallow from?

anywhere in particular you get lambs tallow from?
Mamma ordered it for me off of Amazon as I can never remember the password 🙄 I do a 50/50 mix in a wide mouth canning jar (jelly size), and melt together in a pan with water. Kinda like a double boiler. When I run a batch of paper cartridges I just heat up the lube and dip the ball in.

I tried making some a while back I am not impressed with, was able to trade for a few very large globs of beeswax and would like to make some more. What do you use for yours? Do you have a summer and a winter mix?

Thanks guys
Conical or patch lube? For hunting or multiple shots at the range? Depends. Personally prefer paperpatching for conicals, but after testing some conical lube worked up by @chorizo, his lube formula would be my choice if I were not paperpatching. No leading, easy loading, good accuracy. For hunting with patched roundballs, found TOW mink oil to be a good choice. At the range for good accuracy and no need to swab, there are many good moose milk options out there. It’s going to take range time to figure out what works best for you in your gun.

Conical or patch lube? For hunting or multiple shots at the range? Depends. Personally prefer paperpatching for conicals, but after testing some conical lube worked up by @chorizo, his lube formula would be my choice if I were not paperpatching. No leading, easy loading, good accuracy. For hunting with patched roundballs, found TOW mink oil to be a good choice. At the range for good accuracy and no need to swab, there are many good moose milk options out there. It’s going to take range time to figure out what works best for you in your gun.
conical multiple shots definitely what im looking for

one gun likes ballistol and water 3-1
The other two like olive oil amd beeswax. That I melt in a double boiler and it has a soft-ish consistency its tough to explain properly but it wont melt in the summer but stays soft in the cold. Sorry if I confused you with that
Kevin

one gun likes ballistol and water 3-1
The other two like olive oil amd beeswax. That I melt in a double boiler and it has a soft-ish consistency its tough to explain properly but it wont melt in the summer but stays soft in the cold. Sorry if I confused you with that
Kevin

Whats your ratio for the olive oil and beeswax blend, I'd like to try it.

Depends on the bourbon 🤣
Out here on the left coast good bourbon is really expensive. But it seems I’ve grown fond of Russell’s Reserve, There Rye Whiskey is very good also. Woodford also strikes my fancy. Just know that no matter what, there is always a bottle of Kessler, limes and club soda in the shop fridge. We have a lot of rattlesnakes, preventative medicine if you will.

Out here on the left coast good bourbon is really expensive. But it seems I’ve grown fond of Russell’s Reserve, There Rye Whiskey is very good also. Woodford also strikes my fancy. Just know that no matter what, there is always a bottle of Kessler, limes and club soda in the shop fridge. We have a lot of rattlesnakes, preventative medicine if you will.
Ive learned over the years, bourbon is like ti........er um pizza. No such thing as a bad one, just some better than others. I like Blanton's and Eagle Rare for good times, Buffalo Trace for an everyday sip. I'm fond of Angels Envy finished rye. That's a lot of patch lube.

Ive learned over the years, bourbon is like ti........er um pizza. No such thing as a bad one, just some better than others. I like Blanton's and Eagle Rare for good times, Buffalo Trace for an everyday sip. I'm fond of Angels Envy finished rye. That's a lot of patch lube.
Sadly, I’ve never heard off, or seen those labels out here.

Somewhere there used to be a sticky with members' receipts for all kinds of home brews; patch lubes, solvents, &c. Among them was something called Stumpkiller's Moose Snot which I thought was pretty good.

Back